Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 10 Mar 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dansum
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile Itinerary help for 1st timer!

We will be in Disney world for 14 nights in October, staying at All Star Sports Resort.
How do you all decide which parks to do on which days, which fast passes to book, and which times?
We are 2 adults and 2 children, with no dining plan. Would like to do 3 character meals, see as many characters as we can, and go on as many rides as we can - but no roller coasters, scary rides or water parks!
Does anyone know what times the shuttles leave All Star Sports Resort in the mornings?
Thanks for any help - much appreciated!
Dansum is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 05:30 AM  
Link to this Post

I decide how many days I would like to use my pre bookable fast passes on first of all. So for fourteen days I might do two in Epcot, three in AK, four in HS and five in MK. In reality I might park hop and do more trips to each park but the only bit I preplan is the first park of the day for the advance fastpasses.

I book fastpasses for MK and Epcot for my first two days as the popular fastpasses are hardest to get in AK and HS, so I leave then until at least day three of my trip. I then pick my days per park pretty much at random, although I do aim to alternate them fairly evenly. I have no use of busy day guides, as far as I can tell, different ones say different things. I don’t believe I have ever been disadvantaged by not using them.

The only time I have ever really taken notice of what day I go to what park was when I went during MNSSHP season, then it made sense to go to MK during the day when a party was scheduled for the evening.

Once I have allocated my day to a particular park, I will think about what ADRs I want and slot them in according to where I am planning to be.

I book our advance fast passes on the rides which are hardest to get fast passes for, even repeating them. So for example I have Flight of Passage booked for each of my Animal Kingdom days. I think this makes more sense than trying to cover as many different rides as possible, because fastpasses for other rides are more easily picked up on the day and / or will have a shorter standby queue.

I am not sure what rides would be considered scary at Disney, they all seem pretty tame to me and it doesn’t have many I would describe as roller coasters either. Anyway as an onsite guest you will have your pick of any fast passes you want other than for the first couple of days when you will struggle to get 7DMT, Flight of passage, Slinky Dog Dash, Smugglers Run and Minnie & Mickey train.

I generally book fastpasses for 10am, 11am and midday. This allows plenty of time to get additional ones afterwards. I sometimes start later if I have a nice breakfast or brunch booked.

Edited at 05:32 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

I haven't stayed at All Star Sports but most of the resorts have buses starting 1h prior to park opening (I think!). However, I think that you are close to the skyliner which will make getting to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios easier.

We don't do rollercoasters but instead I do a list of the ones that we must go on and look at the busy day guide, then I try and book fast passes around that. Be aware of height restrictions with kids, sometimes it isn't clear. You can book restaurants before your fast pass date so you may want to see if you can coordinate the two.

Honestly, we never make it to all the fast passes that I book - either due to poor planning or we decide that the parks are too busy for us. Just focus on a few things that you really want to do and then go with the flow on the rest. Don't forget that there is a lot more than the parks at Disney. We've spent a lovely few days riding the skyliner (and I'm afraid of heights, to put it in perspective) and the friendship boats to see what's going on at the other resorts.

As for rollercoasters - if you are as much of a chicken as I am then try Barnstormer in Magic Kingdom first. It is over quickly but I screamed the whole way down (unfortunately my son loves it so I had to go on it again). The Avatar ride (Flight of Passage) is OK, but I kept my eyes shut for most of it. For that one you are fairly well held in and you won't fall off it. Soarin is OK as well, but I put the extra strap between my legs (as you do for kids) to give me a bit more reassurance. There are some rides that I will not do! If you enjoy Barnstormer, then I think that the next "tame" one would be Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but I haven't done that one so others will need to confirm, then Big Thunder Mountain (I have done that one, needed a brandy and a sit down afterwards).

Edited at 08:41 AM.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Dansum
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

Thanks so much - some great advice from you both!
Dansum is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List