Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 21, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve been to Florida many times, and have done some holidays with no theme parks at all. The only thing I’d say, is that you can easily spend at least ten days at Disney and be completely occupied - with the theme parks/water parks/mini golf/Disney springs etc. Universal for us is three days, plus a day at the water park. I couldn’t spend two weeks just doing universal. However, I guess you’ll probably have a car, so venture out and explore the places that a lot of people don’t go to - I can recommend Winter Park (a lovely town) and the scenic boat tour there, Kelly Park (state park with natural tubing river), St Augustine (1-1.5 hours drive?), nasa, Clearwater, baseball game, Mount Dora is supposed to be nice too (haven’t been there yet).
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
LIZH
Imagineer

I really don’t no, I only have ever stayed in villas, but I’m sure you will have a great holiday once things start moving again.
LIZH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I think a lot hinges on attitude and approach. By expecting to be disappointed, you are far less likely to be.
I went into my first trip expecting overpriced warm equivalent of Alton towers or Blackpool Pleasure beach, but geared at kids. I was a few years into my relationship with Mrs Thorpy, so when she suggested it on account of her having been before, I was happy to keep her happy. In reality I wasn't that bothered about going as I figured some of the money it was costing should really be going towards a house. I enjoyed it, but was still wary of the cost.

When we went again 2 yrs later, we'd did so because it was about half the cost. We stayed in a cheap I-Drive hotel, flew first choice to Sanford. I knew it would be different, but deep down I was expecting the same holiday. We didn't have a car and went in thinking we'd use hotel shuttles the same as we'd used Disney busses, but they were far more of an inconvenience than we anticipated. You end up not joining ride queues because you aren't sure if you'll be done in time to make your shuttle, we also watched wishes from the parking lot because we didn't want to risk missing the shuttle. Half the trip ended up geared around being in the right place for shuttles. We have some good memories from that trip, but the overall feeling was that if we ever came back, onsite was worth the additional cost.

It took until our 11th trip, before we stayed offsite again. This time in a villa, with 2 daughters, a car, and some friends. I was expecting it to be a bit underwhelming given memories of the 2nd trip, but whilst it was a different experience to being onsite, it was a good holiday.

The key thing for us was underestimating the inconvenience of not using Disney busses. With a car or ride sharing services, I guess this won't be the huge difference it once was for us.

Edited at 12:09 PM.
Thorpy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I have been visiting both for 40 years and I too am really unsure! Lol!

I’ve done Disney without universal, but not the other way around. I am also unsure if I would want to visit Disney hotels, watch fireworks etc without going in the parks - that would just be teasing I think! I do think someone’s suggestion of adding a MNSSHP if travel dates tie up would be a great compromise, which I think I’d even enjoy.

I know when we’ve just done Disney, seeing the elaborate billboards along the I4 showing rides for Universal have made me slightly sad we weren’t visiting, but I do think Disney can easily fill two weeks. However, I’m not convinced that I can say the same for universal, as much as a I love it there.

I guess for me, Orlando is all about Disney - I love the whole of the states and I’m not sure I’d visit Orlando if I wasn’t doing Disney, I’d probably visit another part of the country.

Having said all of that, if Disney isn’t the be all and end all (I totally get that, as others on here manage very well without visiting!) then I’m sure you can make a fabulous holiday regardless, but with little children I think I’d have to not mention Disney and treat it as if we were at a totally different place altogether - not sure if, as a child, I’d of appreciated seeing the castle in the distance and not being able to go in! Lol!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

We love Universal Studios and Cabana Bay. We played mini golf at universal last time we went, we played the Invaders from Planet Putt side and loved it, just wished we had done it earlier in the holiday so we could have played the other side Haunting of Ghostly Greens.