Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 10 Dec 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Confused about where to stay

Hi All, looking for some advice about where to stay in January 2019. We are travelling to Orlando for my birthday, it's our first trip there and we are like big kids, super excited! We are going on a cruise from Port Canaveral but after that we have 3 nights in Orlando, and I still haven't booked accommodation.

We intend to hire a car but I don't intend to drive around too much. We will be skipping Disney but would like to spend one day in Universal, on this basis I have been researching universal hotels so I could get priority tickets etc. but then I was reading that Jan isn't that busy in Universal and express tickets may not be necessary.

I liked the look of Sapphire Falls but the parking fee and resort fee (what are they all about?!) is really off-putting. I also liked the look of Hilton Grand Vacations Tuscany, Parc Soleil, Marriott Grand Vista and The Grove Resort. We'd like a bit of luxury but still good value for money. I'm also reading stories about scary Timeshare upselling and my only experience of those is from watching South Park!

Any tips on the above mentioned hotels or any similar type. We are also going to watch a NBA basketball match on one night (husband looking after this part).Thanks!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

We've only stayed at Royal Pacific for one night in Universal and although expensive, it was lovely.

I haven't stayed at any of the places you've mentioned, but did look at staying at the Grove Resort as this looks amazing. However, there is a resort fee and parking charges here too in case you did not know! So the price you see will be minus this - unfortunately I could not justify the extra money.

Good luck deciding as there are so many lovely properties and too much choice!

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18), Tides Inn Lauderdale, Cabana Bay & Windsor at Westside (July ‘19), Grove Resort (Feb ‘20)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

Have you also looked at Margaritaville Resort which has a hotel opening in January? It looks amazing! But it's another resort which charges a resort fee which seems to be the thing to do when you have access to lots of amenities.

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18), Tides Inn Lauderdale, Cabana Bay & Windsor at Westside (July ‘19), Grove Resort (Feb ‘20)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

I just wanted to mention that I don't think the Universal hotels charge any resort fee on top of what you have already paid. The only fee is for parking as far as I know.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 05:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stepmead View Post
Have you also looked at Margaritaville Resort which has a hotel opening in January? It looks amazing! But it's another resort which charges a resort fee which seems to be the thing to do when you have access to lots of amenities.
Are you sure it is actually opening in January? The hotel is complete on the outside but it still looks like building site from the road.

Both Margaritaville and The Grove are much closer to Disney than Universal. I wouldn't recommend either for a short stay focusing on Universal.

They also aren't very convenient for the Amway Center for the basketball. I would be focusing on a Universal hotel or somewhere near IDrive.

Edited at 05:49 AM.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List