Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Dec 18, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile AA domestic flight

Evening!
Just booked our flights for next year that involve a orlando to Miami flight with AA. Last year we were in the last boarding group and they took our hand luggage off us which resulted in a long haul flight with none of our stuff. I’ve looked into how to get priority boarding and you can get it via a seat selection for £75 for 3. I wondered if anyone had bought it at check in? Going to try and take the smallest hand luggage possible next time anyway!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

Keep a carrier bag inside your hand luggage and if they want to put your bag in the hold you can put everything in that.
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post

We do this but with a packing cube with the stuff we Def need on the flight inside the hand luggage. Just whip it out at the gate when they want to put bag in the hold. They have an easy carry handle and fit under the seat in front and can be prepacked.

A carrier bag works too but we find you can ram more into a small packing cube. 😁

Edited at 09:28 PM.
Old 14 Dec 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Fantastic idea, thank you.
Old 15 Dec 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

We only take a small bag of what we really need and if this was to be taken I would argue but never been an issue. It is really annoying when people all bring huge bags of stuff they dint need for the flight to either save money or not wait for checked lugguage at the expense of sensible people who have to have their bags out in the hold.

I have heard people on here thinking it a good idea to put several kilos of Yankee candles in bags above peoples heads in the lockers which just beggars belief

Edited at 09:49 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
We only take a small bag of what we really need and if this was to be taken I would argue but never been an issue. It is really annoying when people all bring huge bags of stuff they dint need for the flight to either save money or not wait for checked lugguage at the expense of sensible people who have to have their bags out in the hold.

I have heard people on here thinking it a good idea to put several kilos of Yankee candles in bags above peoples heads in the lockers which just beggars belief
I don't see why it beggars belief...

The Airlines say it's safe, so it's safe. The Airlines offer the ability to take two decent hand luggage bags (and up to 4 depending on status) so why is it a problem for someone to use what is on offer to them?

Next you'll be saying they shouldn't recline either
Old 17 Dec 18, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't see why it beggars belief...

The Airlines say it's safe, so it's safe. The Airlines offer the ability to take two decent hand luggage bags (and up to 4 depending on status) so why is it a problem for someone to use what is on offer to them?

Next you'll be saying they shouldn't recline either
Its isn't safe I have seen bags fly out of the overhead and I am sure all frequent travellers have. There are lots of things in all walks of life that we can do that are allowed but could cause injury surely when there is something that can easily be avoided however low the risk then it should ? I don't see why anyone takes in the cabin anything that they do not need during the flight or absolutely cant do without should their luggage be lost. I would not put anything in a locked that could cause serious injury even if that chance is 10000/1 if that bag of yankee candles fell on a childs head would it be worth it for the 9999 times it does not ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I once had somebody's bag fall out of the overhead locker on me. Very rough flight back from Cologne and several of the lockers popped open and the contents hit those underneath. Not pleasant at all, so I know it can happen.

It makes me a bit more leery of how tightly the overheads are packed.
Old 17 Dec 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Something can fall out of an overhead locker whether there is one bag or six in it. The number of bags doesn't dictate the bag falling out the lock and the care of the people stowing the luggage does that
Old 17 Dec 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Mmm. I agree to an extent, but you do see stuff rammed in there and the lockers can take two hands to shut that makes me worry that If it does spring open stuff is more likely to spill out.

It's not a Biggie, I agree it is rare, just saying I have personally experienced it. The bag that hit me was a smaller rucksack. It did have a laptop in it that had sharp corners so didn't get away scot-free. Wouldn't have wanted it to be a big roller case ☹️