Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Dec 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
laura
Imagineer

I had to make the hard decision on 23rd November for my beautiful cat’ Misty’ she was 16 & 1/2 years old, over the last few months we saw her lose weight & generally not be herself, she ended up having liver, kidney problem & gallstones, she was put on medication which seemed a bit helpful to her but she had problems breathing & had a couple of sezuires, she also started to lose control of her toilet & I know she hated not peeing & pooping in her litter tray as she was such a clean moggy, after the last sezuire she had I knew I had to make that awful decision, broke my heart as she was like my 3rd child, I kept willing she would go peacefully in her sleep but wasn’t to be, my vet did agree with me that it was the best & kindest thing to do.
You will know when it is time as your with your pet 24/7, it’s not easy as you won’t want to make that decision and will do anything not too as you love your dog, the thing that keeps me going is my fur baby is at peace now, no pain & she was loved by us and we have 16 & 1/2 years of beautiful memories with her.
My heart goes out to you at such a difficult time.
Old 15 Dec 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

I’m a ‘better a week too early than a day too late’ person. You will know when the time is right.

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
When I first got my beautiful boy I read a book and in there the author had written that “mans greatest service to their dog was to know when the time was right to pay back all that the dog had given” and that meant to me not to let your pet suffer. 15 years later I remembered that book and on the day that I took my boy to the vets I did in some ways feel comforted that he was not going to suffer anymore and that I was there hugging and loving him until the end. It is never easy but I do believe that it is indeed the greatest service you can give to your pet.
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

By starting this thread I think you already know the answer unfortunately. We had to put our alasation down last year after a year of ummming and ahhing. One minute he was struggling to get up, the next he was "back to normal" but eventually his back end event and he couldn't get himself up and We had to help him each time.

It broke our hearts and we've sworn well never get another dog again as it was too hard to let him go, and we could never replace him anyway.

Will be thinking of you x
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

We had to make this decision a few years ago now. I had come to the conclusion that we were keeping our GSD alive for our sakes and not hers but I had to wait for my DH to reach the same conclusion by himself as she was always more his dog than mine. I am sure you will know when just living is too much like hard work and the time is right. I really feel for you as it is such a hard choice to make.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

My 15 year old golden retriever is very much at this point of his life, however, despite being very wobbly on his legs - he falls often and has accidents in the home he isn’t ready to go as he eats his food and still gets excited when the treat tin gets opened. This is one of the first things the vet always asks is is he eating, how is he in himself and only you can answer those questions. My dog doesn’t have a grey hair and looks almost puppy like so it’s doubly heartbreaking knowing we will loose him soon and this really will be his last Christmas.
Old 17 Dec 18, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Pet owners become very selfish (in a sad unselfish way) when it comes to their pets.

Pets can't tell you the right time, they rely on a human realising that when bodily functions go, legs can't support them, treatments become more frequent or tablets start to take over cupboards - it's time to say farewell. Eating is an instinct for animals so is not the best gauge for their wellbeing at end of life stage.

Toughest decision ever, but believe me, your heart will be heavier thinking you left it a day too late, rather than a day early.

Lots of cuddles are needed (for you and the dog), but you know the answer already.
Old 17 Dec 18, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Two years on from the loss of our 18 year old dog and it still breaks my heart reading this Thread

Trust me you will know when it is time to let them go...

(((((HUGS))))))
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
swanney01
Serious Dibber

My vet once told me better a few weeks early than a single day too late, I’ve tried to apply that to all my pets when faced with the end ❤️ It’s not easy x
swanney01 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Having to make the same decision this year for our dog it is truly horrible. We put it off too long for the sake of a relative rather for for the sake of the dog. In the last week week gave the dog every treat it wanted and perhaps many it didn't need. It was a dreadful time and we will never be getting another dog. I do feel for you.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List