juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Lovely place for lunch.

How poor of the hotel - I’m not surprised you felt upset and annoyed. Looking forward to reading all about Universal Studios.
The beach was so nice we so enjoyed our lunch there.

We couldn't believe what they were saying to us i was so annoyed but didn't have the energy to moan to much!

Thanks for reading along
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by magickate View Post
Loved reading your report so far & looking forward to what you think of Disneyland.

That was really poor of the hotel, it's the scenario I always imagine whenever we go to check in at a hotel. They should have dealt with it alot better!
Thank you so glad you're enjoying.

I can't wait to write about Disneyland it was amazing!

I was just so annoyed, never mind at least we still had somewhere to stay
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Another great read Julia, minus the traffic & hotel!
Lovely photos as always.

M x
Thank you for your lovely comments x
Old 6 Jun 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Solvang looks like such a cute little place to visit - lovely buildings. What a great find the empty beach was to have your lunch, it sounds like it worked out much better than your original plan.

Great information about the multi-story parking a couple of blocks from Santa Monica Pier - that's where our Route 66 trip will end next year (cancelled from May this year ) so I must remember that.

I've heard horror stories about the LA traffic - it would appear that they're all true! Glad you made it to Burbank easily enough despite the delays, but what terrible treatment from the hotel. I would have expected better of Marriott. It's not great that the alternative room wasn't suitable for the 5 of you, but I know that feeling when you are just too tired to fight. I hope you all managed to get some rest ready for your day at Universal.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Solvang looks like such a cute little place to visit - lovely buildings. What a great find the empty beach was to have your lunch, it sounds like it worked out much better than your original plan.

Great information about the multi-story parking a couple of blocks from Santa Monica Pier - that's where our Route 66 trip will end next year (cancelled from May this year ) so I must remember that.

I've heard horror stories about the LA traffic - it would appear that they're all true! Glad you made it to Burbank easily enough despite the delays, but what terrible treatment from the hotel. I would have expected better of Marriott. It's not great that the alternative room wasn't suitable for the 5 of you, but I know that feeling when you are just too tired to fight. I hope you all managed to get some rest ready for your day at Universal.
Oh Lynda I'm so sorry you had to postpone your big road trip. Glad you've been able to reschedule for next year and it's good that you'll have extra time to plan all the details.

The traffic was unreal but for the most part it kept moving!

I was so annoyed but thankfully it was only the 1 night. I would've kicked up a stink otherwise!

Old 21 Jun 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Loving this report Julia. You packed a lot in today. Solving is lovely isn't it? Shame about the hotel x
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by nickyjw View Post
Loving this report Julia. You packed a lot in today. Solving is lovely isn't it? Shame about the hotel x
Thank you Nicky x
Old 2 Jul 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
What a day and it's a shame about the disappointing end!
I'm not surprised you could have dozed off on the beach - you have sure packed out this itinerary lol just like I tend to do!
It's a shame you didn't have more time in Santa Monica/Venice Beach/Marina Del Rey. We wished we'd had more time on our 2013 trip and will definitely plan more time next time.
As I say, it's such a shame about your hotel, though fair play for them fully refunding you - but still really poor not to have catered for your party size!
You also can't be blamed for wanting to cry with the tiredness and frustration. I had a moment like that when we were in Shanghai and couldn't find where to get the bus home from. It was really silly but I was on my phone that night pricing up flights home, I was so frustrated and tired at that stage!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by NatsyNoo View Post
What a day and it's a shame about the disappointing end!
I'm not surprised you could have dozed off on the beach - you have sure packed out this itinerary lol just like I tend to do!
It's a shame you didn't have more time in Santa Monica/Venice Beach/Marina Del Rey. We wished we'd had more time on our 2013 trip and will definitely plan more time next time.
As I say, it's such a shame about your hotel, though fair play for them fully refunding you - but still really poor not to have catered for your party size!
You also can't be blamed for wanting to cry with the tiredness and frustration. I had a moment like that when we were in Shanghai and couldn't find where to get the bus home from. It was really silly but I was on my phone that night pricing up flights home, I was so frustrated and tired at that stage!
The likelihood of us visiting California is slim so we wanted to make the most of our times. Whilst ever the kids were fine and up to it we kept going. i think my age might be catching up on me a little as I'm the oldest of the bunch

It was unfortunate but we just run out of time. I don't think we missed a great deal but who know's we may revisit someday.

Sometimes it get's you like that i think there's always a bit of a down day when you're on holiday or away. Tiredness can make things seem a lot worse than they are.

Oh what a shame Natalie that sounds awful, situations like that can really shake you up it's not silly at all. Glad it all worked out for you x
Old 16 Jul 20, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It started off so well Julia. We stayed in Solvang for the night, it’s such a cute town isn’t it?
You found the best beach in Malibu, we were approaching it from LA as we decided on a last minute beach day from Hollywood and the pier was the first bit we stopped at. It was heaving and the narrowest beach ever so when the tide started coming in everything got soaked! I wish we had driven a few minutes further up and found where you had gone.
Isn’t the parking astronomical in Santa Monica? We stupidly paid the $15 to park at pier, we were only there for 2 hours!
Such a shame about the hotel, not what you needed after a long day. Then Scott not having a bed, such bad service on Marriotts part

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List