Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

It is very unusual that there is no heating programme box - but possible.
Dont panic as it would not be that difficult to add one - especially if you are OK to have it next to the boiler and the cable runs are easy. If you want it somewhere else, it will be as complicated as how to get the cable to that location. The actual wiring (ignoring the cable run) should take an electrician a couple of hours. And a heating control can be under £100. Or you can go the whole way with Tado/Hive/Nest etc.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
When they moved in so 2011
I would look at getting a new thermostat fitted with timing capability. You can get them fairly cheaply and sounds like it will be a better option if you don’t want the heating on all the time, or don’t want to be constantly changing individual radiators (assuming you have thermostatic radiator valves)
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I would look at getting a smart system fitted if you don't have the timer function today. Something like a Hive or Nest system.

As mentioned earlier you can get a controller fitted near to the boiler which minimises the wiring. The thermostat is then wireless. It can all be programmed on the thermostat.

You can add a hub if you wish which just plugs into your wireless router and will allow you to control it all from an app.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Ho Hum another unexpected cost...
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I would look at getting a smart system fitted if you don't have the timer function today. Something like a Hive or Nest system.

As mentioned earlier you can get a controller fitted near to the boiler which minimises the wiring. The thermostat is then wireless. It can all be programmed on the thermostat.

You can add a hub if you wish which just plugs into your wireless router and will allow you to control it all from an app.
Just an aside question - do you know if you can install Hive Receivers (one per zone) and a Hub - i.e. without any thermostats?

It isnt for me, but for an installation that wants to be able to change the on/off programme times remotely. But with no need for any thermostats.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Ho Hum another unexpected cost...
Doesn't need to be immediate if the heating is working for you.

Counter is that fitting it will reduce the heating bills, so self paying over time.

But get what you mean about all of the unexpected costs which crawl out when you move.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Is the thermostat digital?

Modern thermostats adjust the temperature in time slots. So the timer is actually the thermostat. HIVE and NEST work this way. You don't actually turn the central heating on and off. you set a temperature that you want it to be at a specific time.

So for instance you say I want it 15C overnight. And it does that.

Post a picture or model number of the thermostat so we can check.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We’ve just had our boiler changed (just what we wanted a few weeks ahead of moving, but we had no choice). The old boiler was a Vaillant Ecotec. When it was installed, the timing control was managed via a separate box connected to and placed by the boiler which also connected to the wireless thermostat receiver - so may be worth checking wherever the boiler is installed to see if it’s there.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Just an aside question - do you know if you can install Hive Receivers (one per zone) and a Hub - i.e. without any thermostats?

It isnt for me, but for an installation that wants to be able to change the on/off programme times remotely. But with no need for any thermostats.
I don't believe so

community.hivehome/s/que...mes-on-the-app

Would be an expensive on off switch.

You could maybe use something like Home Assistant and some in line smart switches and just set up the timers there where they can be also set via the app. Would still be £100 or so in hardware (Raspberry Pi for Home Assistant) but would at least be usable for more future home automation (although I guess hive can do some of that as well).
Old 13 Oct 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Is the thermostat digital?

No it's a simple mechanical dial. You can turn it up or down or to zero and that's all
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List