Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Oct 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Mobile Boring carpet thread!

We are moving into a brand new house in the next 4 weeks and need to carpet throughout. Very excited but we weren’t expecting to go until February so we are a bit tight on funds. We will be buying a decent underlay but need to decide on the carpet! I’m leaning towards a Berber carpet as we have a pug and will have a golden retriever puppy as of Monday (there’s that terrible timing again!). I’m not sure whether to go for wool or polypropylene. I prefer a wool carpet but with 2 dogs and 2 young kids I’m thinking polypropylene would be more practical. Any advice dibbers?

Picture of new puppy (Sunny) included

POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

OMG no advice but Sunny is so CUTE 💕💕💕
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Same as above,no advice but oh my goodness how adorable and cute is your puppy❤️
Tracy x
Old 31 Oct 20, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

When we got our local carpet fitter to come and measure up for a new hall/stair/landing carpet, he asked us what type of carpet we wanted, we said 80/20 wool because that's what our old carpet was. He said "nobody has 80/20 anymore, these days most people have polypropylene. Because we had never heard of it we googled it and then decided to go with the polypropylene. I'm so glad we did, the carpet is amazing, it was expensive though. There's not a mark on it and we've had it for just over 3 years now, it's a mid grey colour.
It looks as good as it did when it was laid, it has a 25 year stain guarantee, we even put dark blue paint on a scrap piece, let it fully dry and then it wiped straight off with just a baby wipe. We even poured some bleach on a scrap piece and the colour didn't change at all.
I thought the previous carpet was good, but this one is even better.
We have since changed the guest room to a pale grey polypropylene, and that carpet is also amazing. It's so much softer than the wool one.
Old 31 Oct 20, 04:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sunny is gorgeous💕
No real advice about carpets other than we use a company called OnlineCarpets who have an excellent choice and fast delivery. You can select lots of free samples which they post out very quickly and prices of carpets are good. The only issue is choosing from the huge choices.

Dawn
Old 31 Oct 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We are buying carpets for the first time in about 15 years! I prefer wool but we have grown up kids and no pets! We used to have scotch guard but that isn’t done anymore🥴 Do can be a little clumsy with his weekend wine though so I looked at poly ones due to stain resistance however it was the fact we have an open fire that put me off as well as Dh being worried about static! So that comes down to your choice of feel I would say.

I wouldn’t buy Berber style with animals though as it is a loop carpet and will get pulls on it with claws. Go for a dense pile like a min 40oz velvet and it shouldn’t crush with traffic and furniture.

Good luck it is a hard choice to make anyway let alone quickly!
Old 31 Oct 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi suggest you do a quick check on polypropylene before you decide. Plastic from petrochemicals industry, in some cases the fibre can be harmful.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Your puppy is gorgeous - we have a golden retriever but he"s now 9 so passed the cute stage ! We have no carpets downstairs but laminate that is easy to clean with mucky dogs so no real help. Might be worth just getting a cheap lino (some nice one's that look like laminate) downstairs short term until the puppy is trained and you have time to save up some more. Also retrievers can shed a lot of hair so you need to take that into account too.
Good luck
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Thank you everyone. I’m going to look into it. We may have to buy online now thanks to the lockdown 🙈
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List