Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 8 Nov 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Considering a Disney/Universal u-turn

I moved my September Disney trip to May 21. Due to fly out 1st May from Newcastle with Tui and stay for 2 weeks at CSR.

My plan was to base ourselves at Disney and Uber up to Universal a few times.

But

Im now thinking of doing it the other way around. The cost is just about identical and Im starting to wonder what benefits I will actually get from staying onsite at Disney.
  • DME - No good, Im flying into SFB
  • EMH - OK - are they running at the moment though?
  • Free theme park parking - not hiring a car
  • Fastpass at 60 days - no fastpass at the moment
  • ADRs at 180 + 10 - they are all at 60 days now

But if I switch to Universal and uber down to Disney a few times...
  • Deluxe Hotel (RPR) rather than moderate
  • Unlimited Express Pass

As for Rise of the Resistance - I have the same chance of getting a boarding group regardless of where I stay...

Am I missing something?

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018

Edited at 05:48 PM.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
No, I don’t think you’re missing anything. I suppose you have to ask, if any of those a Disney perks came back in time for your trip would you regret the change?

We spend a significant amount of time at Disney versus Universal so even without the perks it wouldn’t suit us to stay at Universal for the whole trip but if you think you’d split the time evenly then go for it. RPR is beautiful.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’d do a split stay- half at Universal, half Disney. The big advantage to onsite at Disney is there’s a huge area and places to visit on internal transport. If you stay at one of the Universal hotels (which are great) you can walk or boat to the parks and Volcano Bay- 5 nights is enough whereas you can spend 2 weeks on Disney property.
Old 8 Nov 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’d do a split stay- half at Universal, half Disney. The big advantage to onsite at Disney is there’s a huge area and places to visit on internal transport. If you stay at one of the Universal hotels (which are great) you can walk or boat to the parks and Volcano Bay- 5 nights is enough whereas you can spend 2 weeks on Disney property.
The ideal solution YT but Tui dont do split stays...

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by adamtoonarmy View Post
I’d double check this as they did used to do what they call multi-centres where you could do 7 nights at each
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by adamtoonarmy View Post
They can do, you’ll have to speak to someone though.

Always a split stay for us.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

I have been having similar thoughts about staying onsite at Universal. Having carried out some basic price comparisons, you get roughly one grade higher at Universal to Disney for your money and, with many of the Disney benefits missing, the Universal hotels have become a much more attractive proposition.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

We are definately having second thoughts about staying onsite at Disney. We currently have 7 nights booked at YC then 12 nights in a villa. We have booked a 1 night stay at HRH for the express pass in our second week. Looking now to switch our Disney stay to The Grove resort- this will save us £2800! Difficult to justify paying this extra to stay onsite at the minute- even if they bring the usual perks back there is no free ddp so just not cost effective 😩.
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Allyfe
Trainee Dibber

We did RPR for three nights, for the fast passes, and ended up spending one day just in the hotel because we were knackered and did really like the pool. But, it was also because our personal view was that Universal was NOTHING on Disney (I don't like simulations much), and the fastpasses were anything but fast. Fast and Furious was something like a 2 hour wait with fastpasses. So, despite everything, we are doing 2 weeks at Disney and not doing Universal this year (we did like Harry Potter World, but not enough to want to spend more than a couple of days there). I am also an optimist mind you, and I am hoping (assuming?) that some things will be back to normal. We won't be doing Disney if masks are required (we're going in August). Having said that, I do totally agree that Disney is incredibly expensive onsite with no perks!
Allyfe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List