Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My son had a spell of being bullied in senior school. I reported it straight away to the school, who dealt with it. The boy in question was apparently hitting his mum too. If you do nothing, don't expect anything to change. Bullies will pick on the weakest target.

OP hope your son can move on from this nasty incident. A sad life lesson to learn.
Old 1 Dec 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I agree. I am sure martial arts can help some children but certainly is not the answer to all. Same to me - it ended up me being bullied more as a result I would, from personal experience, caution very strongly against sensitive children attending .

Best to deal with bullies at route cause - stop them from thinking violence is acceptable. Period
I stopped all martial arts about 10 years ago prior to that I had instructed for 18 years both structured regular lessons as well as one off for women and occasionally kids.

I advise all my pupils when they start not to tell anyone what they are doing and even now when I get asked outside of my clubs the people who know my belts I can count on one hand.

The training is not about being able to fight and beat some one up its the mindset it changes. It is incredibly rare for a confident child to get bullied and this is what martial arts brings to the table is confidence. The physical side is minimal again this is why I reccomend the Korean arts over the Chinese and Japanese (I have done all) it generates confidence very very quickly and I cant see how any child woudl be worse off for learning this than not learning this.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I stopped all martial arts about 10 years ago prior to that I had instructed for 18 years both structured regular lessons as well as one off for women and occasionally kids.

I advise all my pupils when they start not to tell anyone what they are doing and even now when I get asked outside of my clubs the people who know my belts I can count on one hand.

The training is not about being able to fight and beat some one up its the mindset it changes. It is incredibly rare for a confident child to get bullied and this is what martial arts brings to the table is confidence. The physical side is minimal again this is why I reccomend the Korean arts over the Chinese and Japanese (I have done all) it generates confidence very very quickly and I cant see how any child woudl be worse off for learning this than not learning this.
My kids went to karate for years, and achieved their black belts, until they had to choose to focus on other sports due to the amount of training they were doing. They really enjoyed it and I think it taught them a lot about respecting others.
Their instructor taught them how to defend themselves if they ever got into a scary situation where they needed to. I think this was especially helpful for my daughter who was not afraid to spar against some of the grown men. Who knows what weirdos there are in the world and what they are capable of but I would hope that their instinct would kick in in an awful scenario.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stella11 View Post
One punch? Is that all? My brother was punched once. He didn’t fall to the floor and die, the punched detached his brain stem and he was dead before he hit the floor.
Sounds like your youngest was one of the lucky ones.
Well done for calling the police OP. It might make those lads think twice in future.
I am so sorry for what happened to your brother, sending you lots of love xx
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

The school have just contacted me again to say that the children involved will be remaining in internal isolation tomorrow until all children have been spoken to. DS head of year actually confirmed to me what a lovely and well spoken young man DS is and that she in no way believes that he said the things he is being accused of or was in any way provoking this attack. They have confirmed they are happy to work with the police in order to find a suitable outcome.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

I’m glad your son is ok and that the school seem to be taking it seriously.
It seems some on here don’t know the difference between being assaulted and having a fight.
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
One punch? Is that all? My brother was punched once. He didn’t fall to the floor and die, the punched detached his brain stem and he was dead before he hit the floor.
Well done for calling the police OP. It might make those lads think twice in future.
That is awful and I am sorry for your loss.

Thankfully the young lad will be okay, I just wouldn't have called the police, just my opinion.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I think the police should be involved when theres an assault. We wouldn't accept it as adults, why on earth should children?
We forget how vulnerable children really are.
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Sorry to hear about your brother one punch also killed my dads friend 12 years ago. He was hit in the face, hit the wall behind, died when he hit the floor.

OP glad school and the police have been in touch. I still think it’s the right thing, we wouldn’t walk past it in the street if it was two adults (I hope!). They don’t need to necessarily be arrest etc, but a warning shot is needed and for them to learn it’s not acceptable.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
The school have just contacted me again to say that the children involved will be remaining in internal isolation tomorrow until all children have been spoken to. DS head of year actually confirmed to me what a lovely and well spoken young man DS is and that she in no way believes that he said the things he is being accused of or was in any way provoking this attack. They have confirmed they are happy to work with the police in order to find a suitable outcome.
Good to hear how the school are dealing with it . However surprised it appears the head of year has decided that your son wasn’t at fault . I am not saying anything to suggest he is , but you have the gather the evidence first . The prior actions ( good or bad ) of someone shouldn’t determine the outcome.
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List