Notices

View Poll Results: Has the BBC took the correct action in this instance?
Yes - most definitely... there’s no place now for Drama Queens 34 20.48%
No - sounds like handbags to me 132 79.52%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Nov 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have been called some actual, properly dreadful things in my chosen careers over the years. I have had death wished on me, been threatened with direct physical assault (and been attacked), been warned that the persons concerned would find my home and torch it with my family inside, had my family threatened with violence and murder (fortunately with the persons concerned, not knowing my family or where they lived). I have been called everything from a 'C' to and F'ing C (and many other, more imaginative things). I have had bricks, urine and faeces thrown at me with varying accuracy. I have even been the subject of Homosexual slurs that would have shocked both my wife and my children.
It is all water off a ducks back to me.

Back to the poll... People should get a sense of perspective.. or have led sheltered lives. Sticks and stones and all that.

2005 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Orlando. 2012 Orlando, Gulf and Keys.2015 New York, Washington, Orlando. 2017 Pensacola, Destin,Tampa, Orlando, Daytona.
2018 California N to S. Trip report.. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1072473
2019 East Coast, Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples. Trip report..
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1137302

And the future...Arizona/Cali/Nevada 2021
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post14647964

Edited at 10:47 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I understand the gentleman involved has been sent for 'Re-training' ... sounds very Orwellian!

Destiny is All.
SussexFamily is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I understand the gentleman involved has been sent for 'Re-training' ... sounds very Orwellian!
I think they actually call it ‘reprogramming’ in order that he will always have the ‘correct’ opinion and ‘correct’ language. The Liberals of this world may only have one in every sixty five seats in Westminster, but hold massive sway in how we are permitted to express ourselves and even conduct our lives.

2005 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Orlando. 2012 Orlando, Gulf and Keys.2015 New York, Washington, Orlando. 2017 Pensacola, Destin,Tampa, Orlando, Daytona.
2018 California N to S. Trip report.. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1072473
2019 East Coast, Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples. Trip report..
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1137302

And the future...Arizona/Cali/Nevada 2021
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post14647964
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I think they actually call it ‘reprogramming’ in order that he will always have the ‘correct’ opinion and ‘correct’ language. The Liberals of this world may only have one in every sixty five seats in Westminster, but hold massive sway in how we are permitted to express ourselves and even conduct our lives.
Sounds very similar to our old adversaries in the Cold War ...

Destiny is All.
SussexFamily is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Nothing wrong with the Daily Mail 😊, as good any paper on Sport, some fantastic contributors and writers.
Well, it's the way this has been reported. Here's the same news item as reported by the Mirror as an example:

mirror/sport/footb...mpson-23082063

I'm not saying the Mirror is any better, just contrasting the different approaches to "news reporting".

And, factually, the Daily Mail's headline is wrong. Steve Thomson has not been "axed". The BBC has not fired him nor have they suspended him (as it says in the Mirror article, the BBC have confirmed that he cannot be suspended by them because he's a freelancer). He'll be back in the new year.

It's worth pointing out that the reason the BBC commented on his words is because of several complaints by it's customers/listeners. So, if anything, it's the listeners people should complain about, not just the BBC for upholding their listeners' complaints. In this case, I think the listeners overreacted and they went too far in complaining about the use of those relatively harmless terms (IMO).

But, hey, we live in a world where people are easily offended by anything and everything. Including getting offended over which sports pundits a TV corporation chooses to use (or not to use).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I wish the BBC had been as quick to listen to its viewers regarding the removal of free licences for our elderly... but that doesn’t fit their agenda.

Destiny is All.
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Any way to change ones vote as I voted for the wrong one..

Next Trip for the 50th Sep '21
Jun 98 Apr 99 Dec 99 Apr 00 Mar 03 Jun/Jul 04 Dec/Jan 05/06 Jul 06 Dec 06 Jun/Jul 08 Jun/Jul 09 Jul/Aug 11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May'18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept'19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar'20 AKL/SSR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Still around a 70/30 split ...

Destiny is All.

Edited at 08:35 PM.
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
What the commentator is doing is feminising the actions to make them seem ridiculous and to dismiss them. In wider society women's actions are often dismissed and seen as ridiculous or not valid.

This one thing doesn't seem like much, but the constant use of these lazy sexist comments is a problem.

We thankfully no longer accept casual racism as acceptable in mainstream media, I don't see why we should accept casual sexism.
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Well said, I formulated and deleted a response to the post a number of times. But it was phrased very nicely above.

The lazy sexism in the poll questions has meant those against may not bother choosing.
Honest question. Does your objection to casual sexism extend towards wearing a wedding ring? The terms used like Handbags at dawn have been used in describing minor spats in football for decades. Now, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but if you change something like this, where do you stop? Does it then go as far as abolishing the aforementioned wedding rings?
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Honest question. Does your objection to casual sexism extend towards wearing a wedding ring? The terms used like Handbags at dawn have been used in describing minor spats in football for decades. Now, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but if you change something like this, where do you stop? Does it then go as far as abolishing the aforementioned wedding rings?
I do not wear a wedding ring. (Nor does my husband.)

Not going to be able to change others' casual sexism, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but people have every right to object to it being given a free platform on the bbc. That is all that some people did... object to something they found distasteful.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List