Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Latest news.. fire sale with 70% off starts in Debenhams tomorrow morning (no more specific details).

Shame our nearest Debenhams is 50 miles away at Plymouth.
Sale time is the only time you will find me in Debenhams

TBH they had 70% off in their last sale
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
As someone else mentioned, the repercussions are huge not just for Debenhams employees. Listening to one lady who had her products showcased in Debenhams, they will sell the stock left at a discount and anything with the suppliers “is their problem”.
Given the number of Debenhams stores and the number of suppliers they must have (I’m thinking UK but they must have suppliers in other countries too), that surely means real problems for many more employees...

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
This is tragic for all their employees but we cannot say that it hasn’t been telegraphed for some time. I seem to remember several news stories about it being in trouble and long before this virus.
I have never really shopped there as it always seemed a bit “staid” and outdated.
Let’s face it, the days of the department store - apart from one or two icons - Harrods and Selfridges perhaps, are over.
They might be icons but neither Harrods nor Selfridges are what they were sadly. But then nor is London.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’ve said it many times, until the high street becomes an inviting place it’s doomed.

Let’s face it, my nearest city Leicester as an example is a vile doss hole full of beggars, drunks and drug addicts.

I would imagine lots of other high streets are the same.

Not a place I want to shop let alone take the kids shopping.
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
They might be icons but neither Harrods nor Selfridges are what they were sadly. But then nor is London.
I cant stand Harrods and only time I now go to Selfridges (or did pre covid) is when out of Towners visit and want to go . Harvey Nics had a charm until recently now, apart from an occasional visit to 5th floor (then again mainly for visitors )) I use their website. Peter Jones is the newly London “chain” I like as it has real customer service (or did) and of course Liberty which is still outstanding and gets a fair bit of my time and money.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I cant stand Harrods and only time I now go to Selfridges (or did pre covid) is when out of Towners visit and want to go . Harvey Nics had a charm until recently now, apart from an occasional visit to 5th floor (then again mainly for visitors )) I use their website. Peter Jones is the newly London “chain” I like as it has real customer service (or did) and of course Liberty which is still outstanding and gets a fair bit of my time and money.
Selfridges was lovely when I was young. Always saw the real Father Christmas there too.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Bring back the days of Biba on Kensington Hign St, the Hight Sy was fun then
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Selfridges was lovely when I was young. Always saw the real Father Christmas there too.
They had THE Best Christmas windows in Uk at one time - it was magical to go their as a child
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
As someone else mentioned, the repercussions are huge not just for Debenhams employees. Listening to one lady who had her products showcased in Debenhams, they will sell the stock left at a discount and anything with the suppliers “is their problem”.
Given the number of Debenhams stores and the number of suppliers they must have (I’m thinking UK but they must have suppliers in other countries too), that surely means real problems for many more employees...
Debenhams is one of our biggest customers and this will leave a big hole in the budget next year! Sadly, it may well have a knock on effect as some of our staff are employed solely on the Debenhams account. The ripples of all these store closures will be felt by many.

I hate shopping online and can’t wait until it’s safe to go out on a shopping day with my daughters, no mask, browsing permitted, trying on encouraged!
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Hate to say this, but the time of reckoning has been long coming for the high street.

So many of the shops are old, dirty and not fit for purpose and to make it worse, you have to pay to park. Then when you get there - what you wants out of stock !

My heart goes out to those affected, it's not your fault in any way shape or form.

It's going to be like the mines and steelworks when they closed. City centres will change beyond recognition within 5 years. Maybe City centres will not exist.

Edited at 07:15 PM.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List