Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Nov 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

As a matter of interest I just checked today’s departures from Manchester and Heathrow for Virgin. There was nothing. All cancelled a few weeks ago I imagine.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by headpin View Post
The airline can carry the passenger. Certain people are allowed entry. They may have dual nationality and hold a US Passport for instance. Or be in one of the exempt categories. It is not for the airline to know this. They can fly you you, full stop. If you cannot enter that is your problem, not theirs.

This is why insurance should cover this situation. Otherwise anyone could book a ticket and then say they are not permitted to enter due to similar issues and say the contract is frustrated. For example if an ESTA/Visa is refused. Try getting a refund then on the basis of frustration. And also in this situation your insurance would tell you where to go too.
Are you saying that if they turned up at the airport Virgin would allow them to board the plane in the full knowledge that they would be denied entry at the other end? (presuming they had estas)
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by prugone View Post
Are you saying that if they turned up at the airport Virgin would allow them to board the plane in the full knowledge that they would be denied entry at the other end? (presuming they had estas)
If you remember way back when we used to complete green forms, the airline would have no way of knowing who might get turned back. These days I have no doubt the systems are in place to allow the US authorities to give the airline some "feedback" on the potential passenger manifest, rather than feedback after the passengers as they walk into arrivals and tick the yes I'm a wrong'un box on the green form. I think the airline were and still are obliged to return them, it's cheaper and less hassle to tdeny boarding than it is to let them get there and have to bring them back. Nobody would board a passenger in the "full knowledge", it's not good for your business model.

Airlines might however fly a mostly empty flight knowing that means they don't have to issue lots of refunds for the passengers they expect can't travel.
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

Would they though? What would it cost them to fly it over there empty? And they would still be committed to flying all those passengers another day if they forced them to rebook. It would surely cost them less to cancel the flight and try and talk people into rebooking rather than taking the refund.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by silver_age View Post
Would they though? What would it cost them to fly it over there empty? And they would still be committed to flying all those passengers another day if they forced them to rebook. It would surely cost them less to cancel the flight and try and talk people into rebooking rather than taking the refund.
Don't forget that some flights carry a full cargo load even when they have very low (or none at all) passenger numbers.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Planes fly empty/ low capacity quite frequently lots of stories about it we went with TUI one year and there were 46 of us on a Dreamliner with only a few of us in premium as they needed to get the plane out to Florida for scheduling reasons - I tell you now it was a really weird experience
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

I suppose we’ll find out in the coming weeks. When are VA’s direct flights to Orlando scheduled to start up again? Does anyone know?
Old 2 Dec 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

As a matter of interest I just checked today’s departures from Manchester and Heathrow for Virgin. There was nothing. All cancelled a few weeks ago I imagine.
Virgin are still flying 1/2 times a week to Miami from London. As others have said, they're taking full cargo loads plus anybody who can travel (US citizens are exempt, and further exemptions are available, though rare).
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

I noticed that. It looks like just one flight a week Heathrow to Miami and one flight per week back again.

They may be able to scare up a few eligible customers and a bit of freight for that, but that's not going to be the case when daily flights to Orlando are due to start again.

Anyway, good news with the vaccine this morning. Matt Hancock was quoted on the radio as saying we may be back to normal by the Spring. Let's hope so.
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Yes, the key to understanding why is not about how full it is, but how many seats are paid for, (and cargo load as others have said). If an airline chooses to cancel, everyone is entitled to a refund. If they still fly, and you've paid but can't fly, that's your problem, especially if you're on a non refundable fare as they have kept their side of the contract. It stinks, but that's what we've seen with people booked on flights that are still operating.