Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Nov 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I've been vegetarian in the past, back in the 90s when it was quite difficult. I started eating meat again after reading about the dairy industry, I was substituting meat for dairy often and decided to start eating high welfare only meat and dairy as I didn't think a vegan diet would suit me.

I do feel bad eating meat that I can't imagine is high welfare at times, the odd take away, frozen food.

Dh has a restricted diet that makes a vegan or vegetarian diet near impossible but we try to have several meat free days a week.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I do sometimes have a conscience and say I'm going veggie but I never do. If my husband wanted to then I would, or if I was on my own then I would give it a go. But we arent about to cook separate meals and if I suggest a meal without meat or fish ,I get "the look"
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I eat meat but yes if I think about it I do feel guilty. I could never watch any of the television programmes about where meat comes from. My husband is a big meat eater though. About a year ago I persuaded him to do meat free Monday, but I really struggle with meal ideas. As we eat meat the rest of the week he doesn't want pretend meat as he calls it - so no No Bull beefburgers. If I could get on better with meal ideas I would happily go to 2 days a week. Don't think I could go vegan though as I love cheese to much.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
I eat meat but yes if I think about it I do feel guilty. I could never watch any of the television programmes about where meat comes from. My husband is a big meat eater though. About a year ago I persuaded him to do meat free Monday, but I really struggle with meal ideas. As we eat meat the rest of the week he doesn't want pretend meat as he calls it - so no No Bull beefburgers. If I could get on better with meal ideas I would happily go to 2 days a week. Don't think I could go vegan though as I love cheese to much.
Jamie Oliver and BBC Good Food are good places to look! Maybe I should start another thread with vegan or veggie meal options.
These are some of our favourites:
bbcgoodfood/recipes/vegan-chilli
jamieoliver/recipes/...c-ratatouille/
bbcgoodfood/recipes/vegan-bolognese
bbcgoodfood/recipes/...rian-casserole

We also like halloumi fajitas (although that's obviously not vegan). My sister made us a bean stew with cheddar dumplings, that was lovely.
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

No I just love food, any food 😁🐷
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I would feel guilty if I thought about it so I don't. I won't eat rabbit or duck though because they are pets. I also could not bring myself to eat Welsh lamb in Wales because the fields were full of sheep. Illogical I know.
I am the same, I also wont eat Poussin.
Old 21 Nov 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gilly120 View Post
I am the same, I also wont eat Poussin.
Ugh no nor veal.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Merligan
Very Serious Dibber

Merligan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My husband went veggie last year and then we both went vegan in January this year. I would say I have been vegan about 98% of the time and veggie 100%. Just occasionally it isn’t possible to be vegan so as long as it’s veggie, I am OK with that.

I did it for animal welfare reasons, inspired by my DD who has been vegan for about 4 years which meant I started to experiment with vegan meals when she came over.

I have no issue with what anyone else chooses to eat and wouldn’t dream of passing judgement.

The only thing I miss is cheese, it’s the holy grail for me. Just ordered a pack of mixed vegan cheeses so really hoping it tastes something like cheese as any tried so far are pretty rank!

I love to cook which helps and enjoy trying new recipes and experimenting.

😁
Dibb Villa July 2012 Dibb Villa Sep 2013
Dibb Villa Sandy Ridge March 2015
Merligan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I feel no guilt, I grew up poor in Orkney, very poor.

We ate more meat and fish than anything else because they cost nothing but the labour. Trout (brown, rainbow and sea), lobster, mussels, spoots-razor clams, rabbit, pigeon, mackerel, codling, herring, crab, whelks, cockles.

We were shown from a very young age to respect the animals that gave us sustenance. We were taught how to catch them and kill them humanely, to prepare and to cook them. The fact that we ate animals meant that we did not go hungry.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

I actually do feel guilty about eating meat and drinking milk, but I try not to think about it too much. I wish I'd never googled what happens to dairy cows.

But we still eat meat and drink milk, because we like it.