Notices

Old 28 Nov 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Apprentice Imagineer

Taking kids out of school two weeks early

We’ve had a case in year 1 (asymptomatic and only knew as sibling at nursery was tested) and my daughter is in year 2.

I have an extremely vulnerable dad who still wishes to see kids and in childcare bubble. We are doing Xmas with him and my mum but it got me thinking if the need to isolate arose in the lead up to Xmas that would scupper Xmas day.

Debating taking her out two weeks early so we know we will definitely be together Xmas day.

Has anyone else thought about it?
Old 28 Nov 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
VIP Dibber

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

My friend is thinking of taking her kids out a week early so there is less chance of them having anything to pass on to relatives.
I can see lots of families getting the dreaded call that they have to isolate their child over Xmas. Personally I will be keeping dd15 at school as she is in year 11 but i can see why it might have been a good idea for younger children to finish earlier.
Old 28 Nov 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
jdndt
Apprentice Imagineer

Ours finish on the 18th so you probably only need to take them out a week early.
jdndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

I was thinking about this yesterday, we would keep dd in school but I can see why people would take them out early, particularly if anybody in the family is vulnerable.

In primary schools there are often lots of fun activities in that last week, it’s a shame for children to miss that but equally should mean they’d not miss as much learning.

We’ve had 3 year groups out in dds primary and I’m thankful for each day we make it through without dd having to go into isolation.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
My friend is thinking of taking her kids out a week early so there is less chance of them having anything to pass on to relatives.
I can see lots of families getting the dreaded call that they have to isolate their child over Xmas. Personally I will be keeping dd15 at school as she is in year 11 but i can see why it might have been a good idea for younger children to finish earlier.
According to the dr on Jeremy Vine (R2) Wednesday it’s not younger children you need to worry about it secondary age children, apparently the younger one don’t really spread the virus.

I’ve heard a lot of people suggesting taking kids out. Does this mean a lot of the country will be self isolating from 9/10 December?
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

If you're taking the kids out from school does that mean you and your partner will isolate too? No work, no shopping? And your parents - are they doing the same? So everyone protects each other?

Personally kids need to be in school. Mine break up on the 18th so that's a full week for any symptoms to develop before we see anyone. And we obviously cancelled immediately anyone was unwell and isolate properly.

If we get the dreaded phone call they need isolate then they will.

You say your kids are seeing your dad anyway and i know you worry but why is Christmas any different to seeing him today?
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
According to the dr on Jeremy Vine (R2) Wednesday it’s not younger children you need to worry about it secondary age children, apparently the younger one don’t really spread the virus.

I’ve heard a lot of people suggesting taking kids out. Does this mean a lot of the country will be self isolating from 9/10 December?
The keeping kids at home to self isolate would only work if the whole family did it, ie no shopping trips etc, i dont think people have worked that one out. DD will remain at school. My last working day will be 16th december, i do hope to have had all shopping etc done by then too, and hoping to see my mum sometime boxing day.
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ld1978 View Post
We’ve had a case in year 1 (asymptomatic and only knew as sibling at nursery was tested) and my daughter is in year 2.

I have an extremely vulnerable dad who still wishes to see kids and in childcare bubble. We are doing Xmas with him and my mum but it got me thinking if the need to isolate arose in the lead up to Xmas that would scupper Xmas day.

Debating taking her out two weeks early so we know we will definitely be together Xmas day.

Will you also not go shopping etc those days or mix anywhere or stay at home and isolate?
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We are in tier 1 and 57 miles from the tier 2 border.. but there is still plenty of it out there.

My boys are 14 and 18, so in my opinion, absence is not an option, given the current stage of their education with my eldest approaching crucial A level examinations. If either shows symptoms or tests positive, then my 87 year old Dad will not be coming over with his Neuropathy, COPD, Prostate issues and vulnerable age... even though he will protest vigorously, having insisted I visit him 5 times a week, regardless of the fact that I spend my time in Covid Wards at the local Hospital.
In his words “ Life is for living, not spending all your time worrying about dieing”. He has never wavered from his viewpoint. Perhaps that has something to do with being aircrew in the RAF in the 1950s and 1960s when he lost plenty of colleagues due to air crashes.

We’re my children in Infant or Junior Schools, then I would look at it in a totally different light if I had vulnerable relatives making direct contact at Christmas. My wife and I have both had it at the same time and I had an antibody test that was positive.

The thing is that if I was to do it, then it would mean total isolation for my children. Many are simply and selectively playing at it.

Everybody will no doubt weigh things up and make their own decisions based on their own situations and in addition, their own thoughts re Covid. For many, I think that breaking point into civil disobedience has already been reached.

2005 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Orlando. 2012 Orlando, Gulf and Keys.2015 New York, Washington, Orlando. 2017 Pensacola, Destin,Tampa, Orlando, Daytona.
2018 California N to S. Trip report.. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1072473
2019 East Coast, Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples. Trip report..
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1137302

And the future...Arizona/Cali/Nevada 2021
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post14647964

Edited at 10:41 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ld1978 View Post

This throws up a lot of questions like, why did the child in year 1 get tested when they clearly displayed no symptoms? They should have just been removed from the class to isolate with the rest of the family... but good job they did in a way.

If your kids are already in a childcare bubble with your parents why does that make it any different to now?

Most schools finish on 18th anyway, so you’ve got 7 days before Christmas for anything to happen

Will the rest of the family be isolating themselves as well? There’s no point in disadvantaging the kids by taking them out of school, if the everyone else is going to carry on as “normal”
2018 - First visit for my daughter and as a family

Edited at 10:45 AM.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List