Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 29 Feb 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BertnErnie View Post
I’d go for it without dining as you’ll get continental breakfast and snacks anyway. I’d pay out of pocket for the rest of my dining.

‘Free Dining’ isn’t really - it usually comes at the expense of higher average room rates. Whether it’s worth it depends on how many of you are in the room and how much you value the dining plan.

We are 2a 1c and we have always struggled to get through all the snack and quick serve credits - typically bringing home half a suitcase full of sweets etc.

We’ve not done club level at a Disney resort but have at Hard Rock in Universal. I think if we did, we would not bother with DDP and just book the character and table service/signature restaurants we really wanted and pay out of pocket.
That’s just not true. Rooms rates rarely change, sometimes they go down, very occasionally they go up by a few ££. If I was looking for a resort that is usually included with free dining I’d wait. Essentially if you don’t you are paying the same amount but having to pay for food which for me is just a ridiculous concept.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ekindy
Looking for my Ears

I was going to ask the same question except I am looking to stay at a standard room at All Star Music or Sports last two weeks of October 2021. would it be a good idea to wait and see if they offer any discounts during free dining or should I book now?
ekindy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by ekindy View Post
I was going to ask the same question except I am looking to stay at a standard room at All Star Music or Sports-would it be a good idea to wait and see if they offer any discounts during free dining or should I book now?
Again, I would wait.

My standing advice to anyone is wait and see what April brings. Unless you are getting a flight inclusive package deal with a TA that more than makes up for any free dining offer then for me it makes no sense. I would rather compromise on resort than pay out money for something I could have had free. On top of that there’s usually a gift card offered.

Of course anyone is free to do what suits them but if asking for advice that’s mine.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
U2fan
Very Serious Dibber

We are also waiting for October 2021. We will be waiting until free Dining is released. You never know what might happen!
U2fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BertnErnie
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
That’s just not true. Rooms rates rarely change, sometimes they go down, very occasionally they go up by a few ££. If I was looking for a resort that is usually included with free dining I’d wait. Essentially if you don’t you are paying the same amount but having to pay for food which for me is just a ridiculous concept.
I’m not convinced that room rates are as stable as you say, but even if I take your statement as fact, there are other promotions such as “free nights” which will bring down the average room rate for a given stay.

This is a perennial debate on this forum. All I will say that nothing is ever really “free”. For some people, especially those who are staying 3 or more in a room, then “free dining” is likely to be the best promotion. But you still have to account for what value you personally place on the dining plan - e.g. would you have purchased it anyway?

But there is no guarantee that Disney will even offer free dining. And even if they do, you can’t guarantee availability for the resort and room type for the dates you want.

In this example the OP has said they want to book a club level room, which will include some food and drinks in the lounge. Which may mean you don’t value the dining plan as much as if you were staying in a regular room.
BertnErnie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Fefster
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Again, I would wait.

My standing advice to anyone is wait and see what April brings. Unless you are getting a flight inclusive package deal with a TA that more than makes up for any free dining offer then for me it makes no sense. I would rather compromise on resort than pay out money for something I could have had free. On top of that there’s usually a gift card offered.

Of course anyone is free to do what suits them but if asking for advice that’s mine.
This is what I was worried about - that I would book the room and the rate was artificially high because free dining was due to added. I'll wait. Thanks for the advice,
Fefster is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

If you won't eat or don't want the amount of food on the DDP, check out the US site, In too many trips to count, I have never paid rack rate, There are often pretty significant discounts (I've seen up to 40% off deluxes). But remember, Americans don't book too far in advance so you may not find the offers a year and a half out. Also you may not have to book a package with US offers so can so a split stay and not have issues with tickets,

That said when at WDW with my DD (an adult) we have not spent more than $100./day on food. We would also never eat the amount of food on the dining plans.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by BertnErnie View Post
I’m not convinced that room rates are as stable as you say, but even if I take your statement as fact, there are other promotions such as “free nights” which will bring down the average room rate for a given stay.

This is a perennial debate on this forum. All I will say that nothing is ever really “free”. For some people, especially those who are staying 3 or more in a room, then “free dining” is likely to be the best promotion. But you still have to account for what value you personally place on the dining plan - e.g. would you have purchased it anyway?

But there is no guarantee that Disney will even offer free dining. And even if they do, you can’t guarantee availability for the resort and room type for the dates you want.

In this example the OP has said they want to book a club level room, which will include some food and drinks in the lounge. Which may mean you don’t value the dining plan as much as if you were staying in a regular room.
Free nights has become less value every year it’s offered. I get that not everyone gets value from free dining but really the free nights offer doesn’t come close. Even for 2 adults in a deluxe there’s not much saving as very few hotels have maximum free nights.
I’ve booked with Disney many times and I’ve yet to see anyone get a better deal before free dining than with it however if you value a few offerings in a club lounge over all your food taken care of for the whole stay I can’t argue with that.

At the end of the day, advice has been asked for and I’ve given mine. If you think free nights is a better deal that’s fair enough. It’s important each individual does the calculations and goes with what suits. Of course free dining may not be offered but we’ll know soon. And if it is, there’s no guarantee free nights will be offered so it’s up to everyone to consider if they want to take what’s on offer at that point or wait in the hope of something better.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Old 1 Mar 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fefster View Post
I really want Coronado Springs, Club Level Tower and I think they do sell out quite quickly so maybe I should just go for it.
I locked in 10 nights at ASMusic, 1 suite and 1 preferred room as theres 4 adults 1 child. Also locked in a 4 night, 1 br villa at Kidani for 5 - 19 nov 2021. I can chop and change when the OKW and Saratoga come in next year, but whatever happens Im staying at two great places without caring if people get better prices than me.
IM IN
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymummy
VIP Dibber

disneymummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We’ve done free dining for the last 5 or 6 visits. When I booked the yacht club for August 2017, prices actually dropped a little after free dining was released. Looking at the yacht club for August 2021 now and all that’s available are club level rooms. I’m waiting till April and hoping to get a standard water view room.
disneymummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List