Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Good luck, funny thing first time I heard of the NC500 was on Tuesday, when it was mentioned in a programme about the Torridon hotel... looks amazing...
Ooh what programme was it if you don’t mind me asking. I couldn’t stay at the Torridon hotel because of Max, but could pop in
Old 24 Jul 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Amazing hotels : life beyond the lobby... think it was BBC2... fascinating look behind the scenes...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Amazing hotels : life beyond the lobby... think it was BBC2... fascinating look behind the scenes...
I love stuff like that so will check it out. It looked amazing (but expensive) but all dog friendly rooms were booked out anyway x
Old 27 Jul 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This sounds brilliant! I would love to do something like this with our lab Boris but as we live in the South it’s a fair old journey to even get started so I think we’d have to fly up to Inverness.

Have an amazing time, I look forward to reading all about it

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

This sounds like a fab trip. I’ve considered it before seeing as we live just over an hour east of Inverness but somehow we’ve never got around to it.

Do you think you would have time to go a little further west from Ullapool to Lochinver. We visited there last summer and the scenery between Ullapool & Lochinver is just stunning. There’s the ruins of Ardvreck castle on the way and amazing views of Suilven from Lochinver itself. (Edited your add: you could possibly do this on the way down from Tongue - not sure what route you were planning)

I think you’ll enjoy Aviemore - it’s very outdoorsy - I’m sure you’ll find loads of lovely walks for you and Max to enjoy. Food can be expensive if eating out there for some reason.

I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time and I really hope you get dry weather. Looking forward to reading the report as I’m ashamed to say I’m very guilty of not exploring my own country. Hopefully this will inspire me to plan our own NC500 road trip.

Edited at 10:54 PM.
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
This sounds brilliant! I would love to do something like this with our lab Boris but as we live in the South it’s a fair old journey to even get started so I think we’d have to fly up to Inverness.

Have an amazing time, I look forward to reading all about it
I know it’s so far! Most of my driving will be getting to Inverness and back. I think it’ll take me about 6 hours. I’m in the North West and know it could be much worse.
Hopefully be worth it though. Hope you get there one day. If it’s any consolation it’s been quite hard finding truly dog friendly accommodation. Lots of places have one room for example which gets booked out easier. There are also lots of places I fancy that I can’t take him into. Castles/wildlife parks and the like, but I’m super hopeful it’ll be an adventure if nothing else x
Old 28 Jul 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
This sounds like a fab trip. I’ve considered it before seeing as we live just over an hour east of Inverness but somehow we’ve never got around to it.

Do you think you would have time to go a little further west from Ullapool to Lochinver. We visited there last summer and the scenery between Ullapool & Lochinver is just stunning. There’s the ruins of Ardvreck castle on the way and amazing views of Suilven from Lochinver itself. (Edited your add: you could possibly do this on the way down from Tongue - not sure what route you were planning)

I think you’ll enjoy Aviemore - it’s very outdoorsy - I’m sure you’ll find loads of lovely walks for you and Max to enjoy. Food can be expensive if eating out there for some reason.

I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time and I really hope you get dry weather. Looking forward to reading the report as I’m ashamed to say I’m very guilty of not exploring my own country. Hopefully this will inspire me to plan our own NC500 road trip.
Yes I think I can drive that way from Tongue. It says it’s a 30 min detour but sounds well worth it.
I have been to Aviemore several times, only once as an adult though and that was a decade ago. My full day is on a Monday and quite a lot of places have signed up to the govt meal desk thing so hopefully not too awful, guess it’s quite touristy which is why the prices are high?
I’ll defo do a trippie as I actually find it gives me something extra to do in the evenings/over lunch/a drink beyond just reading my book. It’s also so lovely to have to read back on.
19 days to go... eeek
Old 28 Jul 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Mitch I’d look at more 8 hours
We are a good bit further north than you and we can be 6 hours or more to Inverness all you need is an accident on the main route and it’s a book flAsk of coffee sandwiches and a blanket even in summer S it can take hours to clear depending where it is.
The blanket has more than one use but I’ll” leave that to your imagination and dignity if you need to preserve it on route
It’s an amazing route we’ve done it with my parents camper van and the dogs and kids and took bikes
One of the best holidays we’ve ever had but the Scottish weather gods shone on us 18 days of glorious sunshine no rain or wind
And fantastic local food Malt and even then a few years ago now some great gin joints to visit
And some of the best beaches in the world just lousy weather usually
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Yes I think I can drive that way from Tongue. It says it’s a 30 min detour but sounds well worth it.
I have been to Aviemore several times, only once as an adult though and that was a decade ago. My full day is on a Monday and quite a lot of places have signed up to the govt meal desk thing so hopefully not too awful, guess it’s quite touristy which is why the prices are high?
I’ll defo do a trippie as I actually find it gives me something extra to do in the evenings/over lunch/a drink beyond just reading my book. It’s also so lovely to have to read back on.
19 days to go... eeek
Yes, Aviemore is definitely touristy. It gets a lot of skiers in the winter months and people wanting to walk in the Cairngorms in the summer.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Mitch I’d look at more 8 hours
We are a good bit further north than you and we can be 6 hours or more to Inverness all you need is an accident on the main route and it’s a book flAsk of coffee sandwiches and a blanket even in summer S it can take hours to clear depending where it is.
The blanket has more than one use but I’ll” leave that to your imagination and dignity if you need to preserve it on route
It’s an amazing route we’ve done it with my parents camper van and the dogs and kids and took bikes
One of the best holidays we’ve ever had but the Scottish weather gods shone on us 18 days of glorious sunshine no rain or wind
And fantastic local food Malt and even then a few years ago now some great gin joints to visit
And some of the best beaches in the world just lousy weather usually
That’s really helpful to know thanks, I’ll
Make sure I leave plenty of time, and have water, and snacks etc in the car in case of emergency