Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Mar 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Young children. How did you take the plunge?

Hello! Hope this isn't in the wrong section (sorry mods), but I'm seeing a lot of families on here with younger kids and I'm wondering how you guys took the plunge to do a WDW trip? Next year '19 (April for eg) I'll have a 'just turned' 4 year old and 6.5 year old. The eldest is desperate to go, current near 3yo is a little toe rag . Do you go by height too? Is that a factor you take into account?

Husband and I are looking forward to a holiday away but obviously a holiday with kids is quite a different experience we haven't done yet (last proper abroad hol was pre-kids).

Many thanks for any information or advice you may have

Edited at 11:41 AM.
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney2019
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

This will be the first trip with mine, the eldest will turn 6 when we're there. The others are three and four.

We were going to leave it until next year, but decided to just go for it this year. Interested in hearing advice from others too. We're taking a double pushchair just incase though.
Disney2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

I'm glad I'm not the only one . Seems to feel like a devil & angel are on each shoulder giving me pro's/cons, lol. Ditto on the pushchair, my daughter is good at walking etc but think that many miles will ware a 6 year old out xx
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
The 1st time we went the kids were 6 and almost 4. DS (the youngest) was tall enough for most rides at Disney - but wouldn’t be on any photos - it’s like playing “where’s Wally” when we look through them!

Both kids loved it, but they definitely needed a pushchair (didn’t use them at home for either of them) - but the heat and walking took it out of them. Also, it was handy having somewhere to put everything. There was 1 in the villa which we used, but also ended up buying a 2nd one from Walmart.

We were in a villa, so had lots of space to unwind, plus the pool. I think they would have been happy with 2 weeks in the villa!

I would definitely recommend it - DS remembers bits of that 1st holiday, but having the photos and our memories were priceless.
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney2019

Originally Posted by kitjos View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one . Seems to feel like a devil & angel are on each shoulder giving me pro's/cons, lol. Ditto on the pushchair, my daughter is good at walking etc but think that many miles will ware a 6 year old out xx
Yeah, I'm hoping the eldest won't use it much - I'm doing a dummy run next week at Paris so I'll have more idea then.

I guess with being there 14 days we can take it a bit slower and stop for food and stuff more often with having the dining plan.

No doubt it'll be crazy at the time and we'll wonder "why lisa why" - but the good memories will take over and we'll love it. I hope!
Disney2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Our kids were both 4 when they first went.

Take them... they will love it... loads of free time and time to rest is invaluable as it keeps tempers low. They might surprise you (well your little one might) and be amazing. I wish I had taken ours when they were younger as now school holidays are an issue.
Get a double buggy, or even one that's big enough for your older child so they can take turns, its really handy. We used a baby city mini jogger one and it's brilliant. Keep snacks in your bag and just enjoy it.
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Mason1/weeleighluigi ~ Thank you so much for replying with your personal opinion . Soooo nice to get some real time perspective. I have seen no end of youtube vids and my little girl (eldest) always watches with amazement, near 3yo not so much but think its just the age thing atm (still battling through terrible 2's! - although getting better). What time of year did you go? Im stuck to school hols so really only April and Aug available. Would you guys recommend the dining plan? i know some dates are free but if not, did you find the portions too big for you & little ones?
The notes about the photo's are to cry for, i imagine it must be lovely to flick through those on an evening and see your LO's having the time of their lives .

Height wise, both my kids are giants so they'd pass for most rides (currently 39" & 48").

Disney2019 ~ Good luck with dummy run in Paris, that will be a good guideline for you! Same on the days, if we go for 14 then we wont have the rush if you cramming it into a week etc

xx

Edited at 12:03 PM.
Old 16 Mar 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2019

I wouldn't stay onsite without the dining plan, but I also wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't free. I'd just stay off site.

It seems great though, loads of snacks and kids love snacks - plenty of character meals etc etc.
Old 16 Mar 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
blah11
Getting Excited

Mobile

I last went with a 7, 4 and 2 year old. The kids did well but we did use 2 strollers. Next time Will be 10, 7, 5 and 11 months!
blah11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
The 1st couple of times we went in May, so crossed half term. We’re now limited to August, as like to go for more than 2 weeks and kids are older.

Never stayed on site, so can’t comment on the dining plan - we found the flexibility of the villa and kitchen helped, as often they didn’t want to eat out of a night.