Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 5 Sep 17, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
update CA - Possibly, Maybe, Now Definitely! Day 4-Warner Bros, Hollywood, Mulholland Drive, Beverley Hills

Day 4: Warner Bros, Hollywood, Mulholland Drive, Beverley Hills and Sunset Boulevard.

Trip Index here.

First of all, thanks to mike1d and his trip report "Suitcase and a Dream", his Day 2 report helped to set our own planned day out in Hollywood, especially the timings for our Sunday travel up to Burbank, and using the parking at Hollywood & Highland Mall. Further thanks to Jocat's recent "Wandering Around the West Coast" report, who also visited the Warner Bros tour and gave us the idea of visiting Bobs Big Boy Burgers for lunch.

Today's plan was to do the WB Tour, then drive up to the Hollywood Sign, over to Hollywood, then a drive down Sunset Boulevard to the coast and back home.

With a tour slot booked at 09:30, the plan was to be out by 08:15 at the latest just in case of any traffic problems, although we weren't anticipating any on a Sunday. As everyone was awake early-ish, we managed this and were parked up at the tour reception before 09:00.

Having checked in and being given our designated "boarding cards", we had time for a Starbucks before went into the "pre-tour" film and were then introduced to our guides for the tour.

Ours was Brice, who was excellent throughout the visit. The tour took us through a number of the backlot areas where we were given the opportunity to go inside the buildings and wander around the areas, and also to see how many of the buildings are actually "dual-fronted" to allow them to be used for different productions.

We also visited the archive area where they kept some of the clothes and props used in more recent films, including Harry Potter.

Alex was really pleased that we got the chance to visit the Big Bang Theory set - it looks as if most sit-com productions are set up the same way as it looked very similar to the set for Mrs Browns Boys back home - a number of smaller sets set up in front of the audience seating. Also funny how the sets are actually much smaller than they look, which Brice explained was achieved by the use of depth perception. No photos allowed however as they were filming for a new series.

There was also a visit to the area where the cars used in various productions are kept, before being dropped off for a self-guided tour at Stage 48 which took you through the production process and included both interactive and static exhibits. Alex also took the opportunity for a pose on the Central Perk couch from Friends, where you can also star in a filmed clip from one of the episodes.

After the tour, we had planned on eating at Bobs Big Boy Burgers, only a few minutes from the WB Tour. However, as may be expected, it was busy with around 30 people waiting for a table. As we were all hungry, we reluctantly decided to leave and make our way over to Hollywood & Highland first to grab some lunch. Sat Nav set, it only took us 20 minutes to reach Hollywood & Highland, where there was plenty of parking available.

Having a wander around, California Pizza Kitchen had tables available so we were in straight away. Iced water was offered straight away with our server commenting on the hot weather. We ordered two pizzas between us - Alex with a Marguerita and a mushroom for Joanne and myself. Both were really nice and disappeared very quickly.

As we exited, we noticed that the Hollywood sign was visible from the Center, so rather than drive up, we decided to get our photos there and then head down to Hollywood Boulevard.

As others have mentioned before, it's not the most glamorous of locations and now seems very tacky. However, Alex took some photos of the various Stars paving slabs but all in all, we didn't really rate it much - at least we can say we have been there!

Picking up the car, we retraced our inward route up to Mulholland Drive, then took this road across the hills which gave some spectacular views of both downtown LA and the Universal areas.

Then in a change of plan, as we reached Sunset Boulevard, we turned off down Rodeo Drive to at least have a nosey at the shops and the area - it looked as if most people there were like ourselves, more window shopping than a actual shopping!

Then back to Sunset Boulevard for the drive down to the Coast Road. However, on the way, a weather warning for severe rain and storms came over the radio, and although we didn't catch the times it was announced, we decided that it may be better battening the hatches down this evening and staying in rather than eating out.

Incidentally, this is what happened on the beach at Santa Barbara whilst we were basking in the heat at Hollywood -

Decision made, so we took the shorter route back to Santa Monica and Marina-del-Rey, calling in at Ralph's for some steaks and veg for dinner. I did fleetingly consider using the outdoor cooking areas to do the steaks, but having seen a couple of grillers in action yesterday, I suspected our small cut steaks may not have even stayed on the grilling area, let alone me managing to look competent!

So using the weather warning as an excuse, it was dinner in the condo, where the steaks turned out to be not too bad, and the Harry Potter weekend was coming to and end with the final two films being shown. So after having seen the Harry Potter artefacts at Warner Bros, it seemed rude not to watch the film before, once again, using the excuse of not adjusting to the 8 hour time difference and a fairly early night.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!

Edited at 05:22 PM.
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Glad you didn't get the same guide as Jo did a few weeks ago - sounds like it was a great morning.

to the weather later on in the day - eating in sounds like a good decision!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I'm glad you got a brilliant tour guide, but am so jealous you got to see the Big Bang Theory Set. I'd have loved that.

What a shame about the queue at Bob's - who would have thought it would be that busy in an afternoon? Your alternative sounds great though.

That storm in Santa Barbara Think I'd have stayed in too if that was forecast.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 17, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Originally Posted by jocat View Post
I'm glad you got a brilliant tour guide, but am so jealous you got to see the Big Bang Theory Set. I'd have loved that. .
TBH, I don;t have a clue about the Big Bang Theory other than Alex watching it continually - a bit like Friends several years ago!
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

I've always wanted to go to Rodeo Drive ever since I watched Pretty Woman! The tour sounds great!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
The tour was fantastic, especially as Alex got to sit in the Big Bang Theory set and on the Friend's sofa in Central Perk. However, as a few other trip reports have noted, it does very much depend on the guide you have - I suspect this can be a bit hit and miss.
Old 12 Sep 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Lovely day! I'll use any excuse to eat in, sitting in my PJ's, weather is just one of them!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

I'm getting all excited reading your trip report but we're not even going till 2020!
Definitely want to do the WB studio tour so good to hear you enjoyed the experience.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
tour sounds fab x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Originally Posted by summersun View Post
tour sounds fab x
I suspect that we had one of the better tour guides after reading other trip reports and the visits to WB!