Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Dec 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

60 minute wait times reported for Magical Express

On Facebook today. This is unacceptable for anyone, never mind getting off a transatlantic flight.
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

I'd be quite careful using the word "unacceptable"

it should not be that long, but, it might be on point to add that, DME is a complimentary service, and a non mandatory one.
If the line is too long to get the FREE transport, there is always uber, lyft, taxi, towncar, and probably more.

and if I say "non mandatory one" it's because guests might also have experienced a 60 minutes wait at immigration, and that one is mandatory (and not free, since you pay for immigration as part of your airplane ticket, check taxes breakdown, as well as the need to do ESTA for $14 to be granted the privilege to even be in that line)

so well, while I agree it's a pain, and it should not happen, I would be very careful with the use of "unacceptable"

and, ... well, if that's not acceptable, that's when I arrange my own transportation, complain later at my hotel if need be, but I'd never enter a 60 minutes line when there are all the means in the world to avoid entering that line

sorry, that was just my reaction about the issue.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post

it should not be that long, but, it might be on point to add that, DME is a complimentary service, and a non mandatory one.
If the line is too long to get the FREE transport, there is always uber, lyft, taxi, towncar, and probably more.

and if I say "non mandatory one" it's because guests might also have experienced a 60 minutes wait at immigration, and that one is mandatory (and not free, since you pay for immigration as part of your airplane ticket, check taxes breakdown, as well as the need to do ESTA for $14 to be granted the privilege to even be in that line)

so well, while I agree it's a pain, and it should not happen, I would be very careful with the use of "unacceptable"

and, ... well, if that's not acceptable, that's when I arrange my own transportation, complain later at my hotel if need be, but I'd never enter a 60 minutes line when there are all the means in the world to avoid entering that line

sorry, that was just my reaction about the issue.
DME is part of Disney's business model- you pay for it in the hotel price, and the main reason behind it for them is that they keep you onsite where you spend all your money. Nothing Disney gives anyone is 'free'. People are promised a service by a multi billion dollar company, which was implemented by them to increase their revenue, and said service should be of an acceptable level.

Also personally as a DVC member I pay dues for transportation and upkeep of the car parks. I do not believe (I could be wrong) that my DVC dues also go to pay for MDE (think it is just internal transportation but as I say I could be wrong), but by me not parking my car, I am then freeing up a parking space, which I have paid for, which Disney can then charge guests or visitors to Boardwalk etc $25 a night for.

So MDE should not have a wait time of 60 mins in my view.
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
DME is part of Disney's business model- you pay for it in the hotel price, and the main reason behind it for them is that they keep you onsite where you spend all your money. Nothing Disney gives anyone is 'free'. People are promised a service by a multi billion dollar company, which was implemented by them to increase their revenue, and said service should be of an acceptable level.

Also personally as a DVC member I pay dues for transportation and upkeep of the car parks. I do not believe (I could be wrong) that my DVC dues also go to pay for MDE (think it is just internal transportation but as I say I could be wrong), but by me not parking my car, I am then freeing up a parking space, which I have paid for, which Disney can then charge guests or visitors to Boardwalk etc $25 a night for.

So MDE should not have a wait time of 60 mins in my view.
I totally agree. Disney are charging for parking at the hotels now and encouraging the use of Disney transport instead. This is not a good advert for DME. I thought 30 minutes wait was bad enough!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I totally agree. Disney are charging for parking at the hotels now and encouraging the use of Disney transport instead. This is not a good advert for DME. I thought 30 minutes wait was bad enough!
And, as no doubt you are fully aware, the real reason they are charging for the car parks (albeit a good side effect is all those $20/$25 a night) is to discourage you from taking that car, and spend all your money on huge margin food and products in WDW instead of offsite.
Old 8 Dec 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

Perhaps the delays are planned so that on arrival you have already exsperianced your first que of many
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Disney Fanboy alert
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Disney Fanboy alert
And someone who can afford other options while showing no empathy for people who can’t just afford to jump in a very expensive Uber from the airport.

There is nothing “complimentary” about DME, we are all paying for it in one way or another.

Edited at 07:49 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
And someone who can afford other options while showing no empathy for people who can’t just afford to jump in a very expensive Uber from the airport.

in all fairness, I don't see the empathy point.

talking about being able to afford a $30 uber ride when one can afford the £8k or £10k trip to the mouse ...
Yes, I can (must) be able to afford to rent a car, due to being disabled and not having much of a choice for mobility reasons, but thank you for the empathy
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

in all fairness, I don't see the empathy point.

talking about being able to afford a $30 uber ride when one can afford the £8k or £10k trip to the mouse ...
Yes, I can (must) be able to afford to rent a car, due to being disabled and not having much of a choice for mobility reasons, but thank you for the empathy
You clearly don’t see it... you just doubled down on your lack of empathy lol...

For some people it’s not a 8k / 10k trip and some people save their whole lives paying for it and when they come over they are working on extremely tight budgets.

If you can afford additional x number of dollars on a unplanned cost of a Uber or car hire from the airport then you should count yourself lucky as it’s beyond lots of people.

Reminds of the general election where half the country struggle to understand how the other half live...

Regarding your disability, I can’t have empathy for something I know nothing about or you choose not to menthon. But nice try at cheap shot :

Edited at 08:08 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List