Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jan 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Well didn't think I would be joining a uni thread quite so soon. DD20 submitted her application very late last night. I would love to feel excited but we've been here before. One failed foundation year done shes now having another go with the course she should of gone for the first time.
Old 14 Jan 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Real dilemma here today. DD already had a reduced offer for maths at Warwick which was her first choice and now she’s just received an offer from Oxford! All undecided which to take now. Warwick swaying it slightly at the moment as she can also study particle physics alongside the maths there.

Good luck to those who are still waiting 🤞
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Well didn't think I would be joining a uni thread quite so soon. DD20 submitted her application very late last night. I would love to feel excited but we've been here before. One failed foundation year done shes now having another go with the course she should of gone for the first time.
I hope things work out well this time. What course is she applying for? Good luck to her xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I hope things work out well this time. What course is she applying for? Good luck to her xx
Sports coaching and development. She should have done that the first time. We will see. I'm worried for a multitude of reasons one of which shes recently been diagnosed with a long term condition which shes having treatment and regular hospital appointments. She never does anything the standard route, always flies by the seat of her pants. Her ucas points are limited so therefore her choices are too. Student finance is worrying me most. Shes already had a year and shes looking at having to do a foundation again.
Old 15 Jan 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Sports coaching and development. She should have done that the first time. We will see. I'm worried for a multitude of reasons one of which shes recently been diagnosed with a long term condition which shes having treatment and regular hospital appointments. She never does anything the standard route, always flies by the seat of her pants. Her ucas points are limited so therefore her choices are too. Student finance is worrying me most. Shes already had a year and shes looking at having to do a foundation again.
Hopefully she will be happier as it’s the right course for her this time. I do hope her health improves too. Hospital appointments should be fine to fit around uni as there is less contact time than in school/college

Student finance will be tricky for the last year as she will have used her four year allowance by then. Have you looked into bursaries? They can vary a lot from uni to uni and can be given for a wide variety of reasons. It may be worth looking into
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Hopefully she will be happier as it’s the right course for her this time. I do hope her health improves too. Hospital appointments should be fine to fit around uni as there is less contact time than in school/college

Student finance will be tricky for the last year as she will have used her four year allowance by then. Have you looked into bursaries? They can vary a lot from uni to uni and can be given for a wide variety of reasons. It may be worth looking into
I have tried to tell her she may have problems with the last year of funding but at the moment its falling on deaf ears. How do we look into bursaries?
Old 15 Jan 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I have tried to tell her she may have problems with the last year of funding but at the moment its falling on deaf ears. How do we look into bursaries?
They aren’t easy to find but many unis give them. Some don’t need applying for and some do. We entered bursary in the search bar of each uni website and found most had some then we read in detail to see if they were applicable. You could also ask student finance advisors at uni open days.

Some are available because of the course (NHS, or encouraging girls into sciences etc) others are for area you come from as there are postcodes that qualify as underprivileged even if the parents are earning good wages, some for the first in the family to go to uni, some health related (May be useful for your DD) some are for housing if the uni is in an expensive area, some are as a reward for getting higher grades than asked for. The list is extensive, well worth checking out xx
Old 15 Jan 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

They aren’t easy to find but many unis give them. Some don’t need applying for and some do. We entered bursary in the search bar of each uni website and found most had some then we read in detail to see if they were applicable. You could also ask student finance advisors at uni open days.

Some are available because of the course (NHS, or encouraging girls into sciences etc) others are for area you come from as there are postcodes that qualify as underprivileged even if the parents are earning good wages, some for the first in the family to go to uni, some health related (May be useful for your DD) some are for housing if the uni is in an expensive area, some are as a reward for getting higher grades than asked for. The list is extensive, well worth checking out xx
Well I caved in and rung student finance for advice for my own sanity. She went through the finance calculator and said as long as the course has the foundation year for it she would be funded. Big relief for me. Then at lunch time she got an unconditional offer for Bishop Grosseteste Lincoln. I'm keeping everything crossed she goes for this as its 3 hours from home not 6-7 so I can keep more of a check on her mental health this time and she will be able to stay under the team here for her condition.
Old 15 Jan 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Well I caved in and rung student finance for advice for my own sanity. She went through the finance calculator and said as long as the course has the foundation year for it she would be funded. Big relief for me. Then at lunch time she got an unconditional offer for Bishop Grosseteste Lincoln. I'm keeping everything crossed she goes for this as its 3 hours from home not 6-7 so I can keep more of a check on her mental health this time and she will be able to stay under the team here for her condition.
That’s great news, especially the unconditional offer. Our daughter chose her university as it’s only an hour from home, plus it’s a good university and she liked it. But the big deciding factor for her was that she can get home for occasional weekends or we can get to her if she needed us.
Old 15 Jan 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover43
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 158
Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
Real dilemma here today. DD already had a reduced offer for maths at Warwick which was her first choice and now she’s just received an offer from Oxford! All undecided which to take now. Warwick swaying it slightly at the moment as she can also study particle physics alongside the maths there.

Good luck to those who are still waiting 🤞
Congratulations to your DD on her Oxford offer. My DD is in her 3rd year and has loved every minute of it. Such an amazing place to live and learn
Old Key West August 2012
Port Orleans Riverside August 2014
NY/HRH and Beach Club July/Aug 2016

Edited at 11:16 PM.
disneylover43 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List