Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jan 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

DD has just had an offer for Bristol come through UCAS Really proud of her as it’s hard to get one offer never mind 2. She was rejected from Liverpool and still waiting to hear from Nottingham. She is in a dilemma now as Bristol have given her a conditional offer different to Surrey where she has her other offer. Surrey have offered her a place with AAB and Bristol either AAC or A*BC. The high marks for both must be chemistry and biology.

To be honest, we weren’t blown away by Bristol but the day didn’t go well as DD forgot to book on the vet talk. When I phoned them after she realised they said just turn up at Leahurst campus (which is where the farm etc is) and they will probably fit us in but when we got there it was full so we just went on a part tour the had to rush to get on the bus back to Bristol town centre. It was an open day for all courses so it was really really busy and was tipping it down with rain which didn’t help. Plus I had a turn as I am diabetic and hadn’t had chance to eat as we were rushing so we had to leave early. Hopefully they will have an applicants day plus we are only about an hour away so can have a wander round the campus one weekend. The course at Bristol has a very good reputation so definitely worth considering.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
DD has just had an offer for Bristol come through UCAS Really proud of her as it’s hard to get one offer never mind 2. She was rejected from Liverpool and still waiting to hear from Nottingham. She is in a dilemma now as Bristol have given her a conditional offer different to Surrey where she has her other offer. Surrey have offered her a place with AAB and Bristol either AAC or A*BC. The high marks for both must be chemistry and biology.

To be honest, we weren’t blown away by Bristol but the day didn’t go well as DD forgot to book on the vet talk. When I phoned them after she realised they said just turn up at Leahurst campus (which is where the farm etc is) and they will probably fit us in but when we got there it was full so we just went on a part tour the had to rush to get on the bus back to Bristol town centre. It was an open day for all courses so it was really really busy and was tipping it down with rain which didn’t help. Plus I had a turn as I am diabetic and hadn’t had chance to eat as we were rushing so we had to leave early. Hopefully they will have an applicants day plus we are only about an hour away so can have a wander round the campus one weekend. The course at Bristol has a very good reputation so definitely worth considering.
Congratulations to your DD, 2 offers is wonderful.

As you know, my DD is at Bristol University in her first year studying Biology. She loves the university and the city. There is lots to do there, she’s not a drinker but there are lots of pubs and clubs but it’s also a nice city with cafes and shops which is more my DD’s style. It’s not a cheap city to live in though and the student accommodation is expensive (although it’s very nice too) and private rent for the following years is slightly higher than a lot of other cities too.

I would suggest your daughter goes to the applicants days before making her mind up. I know Bristol holds one. My DD came away from the applicants day saying she couldn’t imagine going anywhere else, it helps make the decision. Whether that is Bristol or Surrey for your daughter, I wish her all the best
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Congratulations to your DD, 2 offers is wonderful.

As you know, my DD is at Bristol University in her first year studying Biology. She loves the university and the city. There is lots to do there, she’s not a drinker but there are lots of pubs and clubs but it’s also a nice city with cafes and shops which is more my DD’s style. It’s not a cheap city to live in though and the student accommodation is expensive (although it’s very nice too) and private rent for the following years is slightly higher than a lot of other cities too.

I would suggest your daughter goes to the applicants days before making her mind up. I know Bristol holds one. My DD came away from the applicants day saying she couldn’t imagine going anywhere else, it helps make the decision. Whether that is Bristol or Surrey for your daughter, I wish her all the best
Thank you - I follow the other university thread so know your daughter is enjoying the city. Beth is waiting on a decision for Nottingham too which is on a campus nearer Kegworth than Nottingham - she loved the course and support system but thought it was too far out whereas you can’t say that about Bristol! Yes she will go to the applicants day if possible

ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

That is brilliant news! Definitely visit again! What was her initial thoughts on Surrey?

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
That is brilliant news! Definitely visit again! What was her initial thoughts on Surrey?
Surrey was her joint favourite along with Liverpool so she will probably put that as her firm choice. The facilities are amazing and she likes the ideas of the close working partners

Old 30 Jan 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you - I follow the other university thread so know your daughter is enjoying the city. Beth is waiting on a decision for Nottingham too which is on a campus nearer Kegworth than Nottingham - she loved the course and support system but thought it was too far out whereas you can’t say that about Bristol! Yes she will go to the applicants day if possible
My daughter looked at Nottingham too and liked the university and course there. She wasn’t so keen on the accommodation but it was mainly the distance that put her off. It is a long way from home 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
My daughter looked at Nottingham too and liked the university and course there. She wasn’t so keen on the accommodation but it was mainly the distance that put her off. It is a long way from home 😀
We are in Worcester so Bristol is the nearest to us but Beth isn’t really bothered about distance

Old 30 Jan 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Fantastic news, well done Beth! They are great grade offers too. Last year all the offers were for AAA.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Fantastic news, well done Beth! They are great grade offers too. Last year all the offers were for AAA.
Thank you - I think it’s contextual as Beth goes to Hartpury College which is eligible. Hartpury is a sports/agricultural college so lots do BTEC courses rather then A levels.

Old 30 Jan 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Anyone at the applicant day in Leeds tomorrow? Early start for the trip but it might help DD decide...

Edited at 10:07 PM.
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List