Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Feb 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Don’t know about climate change... but they have certainly changed College Green in Bristol. Well done Greta. Clearly they have their own (and different)views on changing the environment!

Edited at 08:54 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Taken from someone else -
My generation, for example, repaired things that were not working properly and it was not uncommon to have old but very well working appliances, TVs and cars that we were proud of.
Now, it seems the younger generations tends to put a high value on new things and they “recycle” old things. Things such as TVs, cell phones, laptops and a vast array of electronics that are often in working order are discarded after only few years. Many of these items are produced and recycled in Asia where carbon emissions from factories are not well regulated and new products and products destined for recycling are transported around the globe by large container ships that are also some of the worst carbon emitters.
In my generation, when we were hungry we made ourselves a sandwich for lunch and cooked most of our meals at home.
Now the younger generations seems to think it’s acceptable to sign on to a food delivery app and order someone to drive across town and pick up from a restaurant that will use an excessive amount of packaging material in order to deliver a single meal to their doorstep.
In my generation, we walked to school. Yes, even in the rain and snow. It took about half an hour if I remember correctly and sometimes it was the best exercise we got all day. Now it seems the younger generations think it’s a parent’s duty to drive them to school. I cringe every time I see these long lineups of idling cars in front of schools each morning and afternoon.
Then in the evenings, kids are often driven again back and forth to a sports facility so they can get their exercise.
So I guess what I’m saying is that while I’m happy to see the younger generation mobilizing and demanding change, I am disappointed with where they seem to be placing all the blame.
I would ask that they recognize that some of the things the older generation did were saving a great deal of carbon emissions way back then. Change begins with the things you can control and making tough choices.

Add to this that they recycled glass bottles for juice and milk and washed out nappies etc I think many of the older generation are being given an unfairly hard time. I’m afraid it’s those of us under 50 who have become the lazier generation and many of those we are bringing up are worse.
Their generation used to... my MIL has gone full circle - lifts everywhere, disposable Tena and bed mats, meals on wheels delivering single meal, "bargains" from China, can't be bothered with sorting the recycling...

(Totally agree with your tenet to change the things you can, one we all need to follow.)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Generations blaming each other gets us nowhere - we are where we are. Our energies should go into what we do about it.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Taken from someone else -
My generation, for example, repaired things that were not working properly and it was not uncommon to have old but very well working appliances, TVs and cars that we were proud of.
Now, it seems the younger generations tends to put a high value on new things and they “recycle” old things. Things such as TVs, cell phones, laptops and a vast array of electronics that are often in working order are discarded after only few years. Many of these items are produced and recycled in Asia where carbon emissions from factories are not well regulated and new products and products destined for recycling are transported around the globe by large container ships that are also some of the worst carbon emitters.
In my generation, when we were hungry we made ourselves a sandwich for lunch and cooked most of our meals at home.
Now the younger generations seems to think it’s acceptable to sign on to a food delivery app and order someone to drive across town and pick up from a restaurant that will use an excessive amount of packaging material in order to deliver a single meal to their doorstep.
In my generation, we walked to school. Yes, even in the rain and snow. It took about half an hour if I remember correctly and sometimes it was the best exercise we got all day. Now it seems the younger generations think it’s a parent’s duty to drive them to school. I cringe every time I see these long lineups of idling cars in front of schools each morning and afternoon.
Then in the evenings, kids are often driven again back and forth to a sports facility so they can get their exercise.
So I guess what I’m saying is that while I’m happy to see the younger generation mobilizing and demanding change, I am disappointed with where they seem to be placing all the blame.
I would ask that they recognize that some of the things the older generation did were saving a great deal of carbon emissions way back then. Change begins with the things you can control and making tough choices.

Add to this that they recycled glass bottles for juice and milk and washed out nappies etc I think many of the older generation are being given an unfairly hard time. I’m afraid it’s those of us under 50 who have become the lazier generation and many of those we are bringing up are worse.
The disposable society we now live in hasn’t helped at all! Some very valid points raised. We are where we are ... used to mask previous failings...

Edited at 09:19 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

When we discovered CFCs were destroying the atmosphere lots of people stopped buying them, but it was government action that successfully outlawed them and and now the atmosphere has repaired.
When lead in petrol was found to be a public health problem only government action solved it.
Taxation on petrol and high emissions cars has led to car manufacturers focusing on building cars with lower emissions, while not reducing car pollution it has reduced the rate of increase.
There are things I'm doing which a believe are morally right, but I'm not going to change the world, government actions can.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Don’t know about climate change... but they have certainly changed College Green in Bristol. Well done Greta.
? No litter and the grass will grow in a few weeks.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
? No litter and the grass will grow in a few weeks.
I was impressed by the lack of litter.

Wish this rain would stop - everywhere is turning into a muddy quagmire!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

thegwpf/forget-heath...-new-airports/

This is who Greta needs to talk to ... China and India

How many new airports? Makes the Heathrow issue minor.
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
thegwpf/forget-heath...-new-airports/

This is who Greta needs to talk to ... China and India

How many new airports? Makes the Heathrow issue minor.
Nope - Greta can carry on over here, she's doing a grand job.

Someone else can take up that gauntlet - how many of the world's burdens do you want to put on those young shoulders.

sorry - edit to add - just because she is doing something, it does not mean she needs to do everything.

Edited at 09:53 AM.
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

But surely its not unreasonable for Europeans to demand European governments lead the way? The issue really is increasing wealth, the % of Chinese and Indian people taking flights will be low, but as their country's develop and become richer it will increase. We need to lead the way in finding ways to reduce air travel. In the UK most flights are taken by people flying multiple times a year. Taxation that increases on every flight with exceptions for those on remote islands seems the most progressive solution.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List