Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Dec 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve not had your exact experience but I think it’s nice that you want one last big family holiday before you enter the world of mortgages and starting your own families. Can’t advise on managing your family dynamics 🙂 but if you’re subsidising your Dad you can save money on flights by flying indirect via another US city such as Atlanta, or perhaps book a BA fly drive to Miami as it’s cheaper than going to Orlando (though it’s a four hour drive and perhaps a night in a hotel there). Dad might be so impressed at your thriftiness he will contribute more! You’ve missed the free dining deal so I’d suggest you don’t buy a dining plan as it’s SO expensive and quite tying. If you are set on staying in a Disney resort could you go in 2021 instead, and get the Quick Service Dining Plan included? Otherwise it’s much cheaper to stay in a three bed villa or condo where you can make breakfast/sandwiches, order takeaways and eat out. There are lots of threads about money-saving restaurants off-site. Some, like Sweet Tomatoes, are fantastic value anyway, and many others have coupons if you sign up to their mailing list a few weeks before you go, or have 2for1 nights.
I think maybe if you research and lay out the actual cost of the trip to your Dad he may realise it’s not fair that he doesn’t pay more. Alternatively you could tell him to buy his own park tickets or just relax at the villa pool while you do the Disney stuff, so you still have holiday time with him but aren’t paying for everything. Good luck!
AhoyShipmates is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We stayed onsite in All Stars for 11 nights beginning of September bought tickets and QSDP dining plan from Virgin worked out just under £2k each. Flew on a Friday to keep costs down.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AtLast
Gone all Goofy

Thanks guys. Lots to think about.

It's just the four of us and yes it has to be 2020 as in 2021 my brother will be married and I'll hopefully be a homeowner.

10,000 is for flights, accommodation and park tickets. Spending money will be extra.

Edited at 05:15 PM.
AtLast is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AtLast View Post
Thanks guys. Lots to think about.

It's just the four of us and yes it has to be 2020 as in 2021 my brother will be married and I'll hopefully be a homeowner.
Have you thought about a villa or condo so you could make some meals "at home" ? I think food in supermarkets is quite expensive but you could probably eat for less than eating out (except McD's etc).

good luck. At least you know your Dad's views on money before you go rather than finding out once you get there !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
AtLast
Gone all Goofy

I'll look at some villas. We were thinking hotel because it seems more 'holiday-y' if you know what I mean. I'll run it past my mam but I want her to have a holiday too, I don't want her to end up cooking, cleaning and running around after everyone for 2 weeks. I'm not sure if she'd relax enough in a 'house' atmosphere.
AtLast is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

I think your best bet would be just doing Disney onsite with the Quick service dining... This way you are paid upfront and there are no extra tips to pay that will create any stress or friction... When are you thinking of going?
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'll look at some villas. We were thinking hotel because it seems more 'holiday-y' if you know what I mean. I'll run it past my mam but I want her to have a holiday too, I don't want her to end up cooking, cleaning and running around after everyone for 2 weeks. I'm not sure if she'd relax enough in a 'house' atmosphere.
Villas and condos are really nice and there is no way I cook on holiday . We take cereal and tea bags for breakfasts then have a lunch or evening meal out . For 4 of you offsite you can budget around $100 per meal if you don’t have alcohol and just stick to the main and share starters ( portions are huge so easily done) .
If you haven’t booked onsite already with the free dining plan you would have to pay separately and that is expensive . The next uk offer will be in April 2020 for 2021. Why not show you dad some menus or YouTube videos so he knows what to expect ? Might soften the blow . Food reports on here are excellent as well. Perhaps if he’s involved a little he may mellow . My dh didn’t want to do America the first time we went but he’s hooked.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Leave your Dad at home. I’m a tightwad myself but wouldn’t expect others to pay for me.
When he sees a beer at Disney, less than a pint, 8.99 PLUS tax and tip, he’ll give up drinking.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Try a Suite like a 3 bedroom (Staybridge Suites for example) Apartment cleaned each day, so like a hotel, Free breakfast every morning and I think 4 days a week they put on some evening food, not loads but more substantial than snacks
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
This is a tricky one for you. Villas are generally much better value for money than hotels (IMHO - but then I would say that wouldn't I?)

In this case the concern for your mam is a genuine one. Eating at the villa is a great way to save money and eat healthily, this is especially true for barbecue with good quality steak and seafood (from Walmart and Publix respectively) plus whole sweetcorn cobs and mushrooms... mmmm...

You are completely correct that this does put the onus on someone to cook it, which isn't what you want for this particular trip. Unless your mam refuses point blank to cook and sticks to it, then a villa may not work (I cannot believe I am typing this!)

Best of luck

Regards

Gary

Edited at 08:26 PM.
Tetrarch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List