Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

call out fee

we recently called out a plumber to look at a faulty immersion heater,he came and stayed 10 minutes and said he couldnt do it and to get an electrican,we did that who said the electrics were fine and we needed a plumber,we used a plumber from within that company

the first plumber has now sent a bill with a call out charge which I expected,but he has added mileage and a charge for telling me he couldnt do the job even though in the end it turned out to be a plumbing job which he never attempted to do.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting to only pay a call out charge?
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
For me yes if he wanted milage etc that should have been agreed prior to him coming to you. Was it very far from you?

Edited at 09:19 PM.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I wouldn't pay him anything because he didn't do what he should have done. If as an electrician I was called out to a job and I incorrectly told the customer that it was a plumber they needed, when in fact it was an electrical fault which another electrician sorted, then I would frankly feel a little embarrassed for not doing the job properly and for the inconvenience I caused them.

Edited at 09:26 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I wouldn't pay him anything because he didn't do what he should have done. If as an electrician I was called out to a job and I incorrectly told the customer that it was a plumber they needed, when in fact it was an electrical fault which another electrician sorted, then I would frankly feel a little embarrassed for not doing the job properly and for the inconvenience I caused them.
That was what I thought but I am prepared to pay a call out fee but I feel the rest of the bill was taking the mickey, excuse me for taking liberties with your name

Edited at 09:33 PM.
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by britishgirl View Post
That was what I thought but I am prepared to pay a call out fee but I feel thought the rest of the bill was taking the mickey, excuse me for taking liberties with your name
You are nicer than most people because the failing of the first plumber caused you the inconvenience and cost of calling an electrician out, and then the further expense of calling a proper plumber out who sorted the fault that the first plumber should have resolved. So I'm assuming you are now paying 3 tradespeople when you should have paid just one?

Entirely up to you what you pay the first plumber, even though my advice is to pay him absolutely zero.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I agree with MH.

Do the two plumbers come from the same firm?
If so I would speak to the owner for his view

If separate companies then I wouldn’t pay the first Guy.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl

I can see your point because we told him when he came it was tripping the main fuse but that we thought it was the immersion element because it was as least 12 years old,and it seems to be a common thing for the fuse to trip when the immersion is failing,and I do now have to pay an electrican as well
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I agree with MH.

Do the two plumbers come from the same firm?
If so I would speak to the owner for his view

If separate companies then I wouldn’t pay the first Guy.
seperate companies,I lost faith in the first plumber when the electrican said there was nothing wrong
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Was it the immersion heater? There is a bit of a crossover there, although if you know a failing immersion heater can cause a breaker to trip then a half decent plumber should also be aware.

If he had changed the immersion heater and the electrics still tripped he might be accused of making up work that wasn't needed.

I think he should have made clear his call out, mileage and time rates before he set off.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
Was it the immersion heater? There is a bit of a crossover there, although if you know a failing immersion heater can cause a breaker to trip then a half decent plumber should also be aware.

If he had changed the immersion heater and the electrics still tripped he might be accused of making up work that wasn't needed.

I think he should have made clear his call out, mileage and time rates before he set off.
I agree, it can be either at fault, although in most cases it will be the immersion that requires replacing.

When I get a call from a customer regards their oven tripping the breaker, then I ask basic questions like how old is the oven, and do they know how old the cooker circuit is etc. Again being a heater element is involved that can cause the RCD/MCB to trip. If it's an old oven then I will tell the customer that it is more likely that the fault is with the oven and not faulty electrics, but I tell them that I can never of course guarantee that. Some customers honestly expect me to check the cooker circuit for free (seriously). If they still want me to check the electrical circuit, then I make them fully aware of my charges. I have never added mileage onto a bill.

Edit: the plumber could try and ascertain how old the immersion is and give the customer the option of replacing it with no guarantee that will resolve the issue (with giving the customer the cost upfront).

Edited at 10:26 PM.