Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jan 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tesh11
Serious Dibber

Mobile Free style libre type 1 diabetic

Hi all just been told I’ve been approved for this on the NHS and have an appointment next week to have it fitted. My blood sugars are generally very well controlled but at my last appointment the consultant was a bit concerned they were dropping too low overnight.
Anyone have any experience of using one?
If so couple of questions:
Do you change it yourself after 14 days?
Can you put it on other areas apart from top of arm?
Can you take it off anytime and go back to finger pricking like for a holiday or something?
I know it’s better for my health to see my sugars continuously, however I hate drawing attention to the fact I’m diabetic so puts me off that it will be so visible in the summer.
Tesh11 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I've got no personal experience of using them but I do know that pharmacies are having difficulties obtaining them from the manufacturer at the moment so you may experience delays in obtaining a prescription. Patients are being referred back to their GP/nurse for alternatives due to the stock issue.

I have heard good things about them though and saw plenty of people wearing them in Florida over New Year. Lots of younger ladies actually, maybe as they were wearing vest tops.

chemistanddruggist...ed-three-weeks
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter had the libre for a few years. It’s amazing piece of kit. You can wear it elsewhere but it’s not medically advised as it is supposed go on your arm.
My daughter suffers from nocturnal hypos and loss of hypo awareness so she has just been given the dexcom G6 which is amazing because an alarm goes off if you are high or low. The libre does not. The dexcom can be worn in other areas too.
We loved the libre but the alarm on the dexcom is priceless for us as my husband was testing/scanning the libre at least twice a night. Now we wait for the alarm.
This is the libre on my daughter so not too invasive

She did get stopped a few times on holiday with people asking what it was.
It was easy to change over but my daughter could not/would not do it herself
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

My son started using one in December
He had a training session from a manufacturer rep when he was issued with it which he found very informative
He puts his on his inner upper arm as shown and has now replaced it twice himself with a special applicator provided with the sensor
He did have one become dislodged when he caught it on a cupboard at work
He telephoned the company ( had been advised what to do by the trainer), who posted him out a new one
Some chemists such as Boots say there's a hold up getting them but one local independent chemist has had the sensors there ready to dispense when he has needed them
It was stressed that it has to be used regularly
DS finds it so much easier to use at work
Good luck
Hope you get on with it ok
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I've got no personal experience of using them but I do know that pharmacies are having difficulties obtaining them from the manufacturer at the moment so you may experience delays in obtaining a prescription. Patients are being referred back to their GP/nurse for alternatives due to the stock issue.

I have heard good things about them though and saw plenty of people wearing them in Florida over New Year. Lots of younger ladies actually, maybe as they were wearing vest tops.

chemistanddruggist...ed-three-weeks
Just to confirm this. Our pharmacy has a 2-3 week delay on freestyle libre
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
My son started using one in December
He had a training session from a manufacturer rep when he was issued with it which he found very informative
He puts his on his inner upper arm as shown and has now replaced it twice himself with a special applicator provided with the sensor
He did have one become dislodged when he caught it on a cupboard at work
He telephoned the company ( had been advised what to do by the trainer), who posted him out a new one
Some chemists such as Boots say there's a hold up getting them but one local independent chemist has had the sensors there ready to dispense when he has needed them
It was stressed that it has to be used regularly
DS finds it so much easier to use at work
Good luck
Hope you get on with it ok
My daughter had one knocked off or should I say ripped off by her younger brother (he was 5 at the time) we rang for a new one which they replaced. Later that year one fell off after 7 days but they will only replace one every 12 months. So she had to go back to finger pricks because the doctors won’t prescribe extra due to the cost.
Our pharmacy don’t hold stock of them due to the cost so there is a 2-3 week delay in ordering them.
They are really good. 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD has been using one for 3-4 years. It has made such a difference as she can scan discretely. She uses her iphone as her scanner and the results also come through to me.

She has her on her arm.

They can come off - but if you phone abbott they replace it without question. If you don’t want to use one because you are on holiday then you can go back to finger testing for the duration of your holiday.

Thankfully our pharmacy priorises her regulars for it so there is always a stock.

It really has changed my daughter’s diabetic life. Let us know if you have any more questions. Between us we have quite a lot of experience’

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
My daughter had one knocked off or should I say ripped off by her younger brother (he was 5 at the time) we rang for a new one which they replaced. Later that year one fell off after 7 days but they will only replace one every 12 months. So she had to go back to finger pricks because the doctors won’t prescribe extra due to the cost.
Our pharmacy don’t hold stock of them due to the cost so there is a 2-3 week delay in ordering them.
They are really good. 👍🏻👍🏻
It must be different in France as we have had 3 replaced so far in the last 12 months.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
My DD has been using one for 3-4 years. It has made such a difference as she can scan discretely. She uses her iphone as her scanner and the results also come through to me.

She has her on her arm.

They can come off - but if you phone abbott they replace it without question. If you don’t want to use one because you are on holiday then you can go back to finger testing for the duration of your holiday.

Thankfully our pharmacy priorises her regulars for it so there is always a stock.

It really has changed my daughter’s diabetic life. Let us know if you have any more questions. Between us we have quite a lot of experience’
They was very strict with us with replacing it when it got knocked off. We had to post the one off that got knocked and only allowed one replacement a year.
That’s really good of your pharmacy to keep stock for your daughter. They are brilliant. We only changed to the dexcom because if the time time hypos and her lack of hypo / hyper awareness
I think the libre looks far nicer than dexcom too
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
They was very strict with us with replacing it when it got knocked off. We had to post the one off that got knocked and only allowed one replacement a year.
That’s really good of your pharmacy to keep stock for your daughter. They are brilliant. We only changed to the dexcom because if the time time hypos and her lack of hypo / hyper awareness
I think the libre looks far nicer than dexcom too
We haven’t had to return them for the last 2 years! I do offer

Our pharmacy is amazing! Though usually it is me who tells them all the latest news! They will also give us stock in advance if we are going on holiday and want to take some extra with us!

Index of my trip reports