Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 May 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
So they still go stay in halls and do online lectures from their room? Otherwise it’s pretty difficult to travel from afar for tutorials?
Yeah, but how is that going to work, especially those in halls who may also have paid for meals? Are they all going to crowd into a canteen / dining hall to eat?

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
it’s just a shame the students aren’t going to get the whole student experience including Freshers Week ... although I hate FW! It’s the most overrated week of the year lol
Who's to say they won't have Fresher's Week? I mean, as mentioned above, if they are having tutorials and small group meetings then they'll need to be residing there at the university (plus they will have paid for the accommodation so they may as well be there).

Or maybe they'll have a virtual Fresher's Week? Stay in their room, watch live stage acts via Zoom or YouTube, and drink large amounts of alcohol.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

lbcnews/uk-news/ca...o-hold-all-le/

Cambridge Uni moves all lectures online until summer 2021, but small group sessions to continue.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post

Cambridge Uni moves all lectures online until summer 2021, but small group sessions to continue.
Wow! That’s some step to take!

DD had an email from Warwick today saying that they are currently working towards students being on campus in the autumn term and classes will start 5th October. Online lectures for the large 300+ lectures but smaller tutorials etc will be face to face. They stated they were putting plans in place for altered freshers week.

Obviously it’s still a long time away but they sound positive 🤞
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

My daughter has just finished her first year at Lincoln.

They were told last week that they want to a mix of online and face to face lectures.

They have decided to postpone their start date by a month. The 1st year students will start on 5th Octber and everyone else on 12th October.

Obviously this might change.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2

It gives a sort of indication of how long some places think significant social distancing will last. Looks like Cambridge Uni thinks the current restrictions could last until next summer.

It's a shame for the students though. There's an element of social interaction and "entering the big wide world" associated with going to university. It's not just about academic learning. And, as mentioned earlier, do the students have to actually live near the university in order to attend those small group sessions or do they remain at home? It would be silly to go and live in Cambridge just for, say, a couple of 1 hour group sessions per week.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Wow!

It is good for them to have a plan. I wish the others would put out some sort of idea - feel it is about time to start planning.

My daughter is wanting to go into halls but I have no idea how this will work...
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
Wow!

It is good for them to have a plan. I wish the others would put out some sort of idea - feel it is about time to start planning.

My daughter is wanting to go into halls but I have no idea how this will work...
2 days ago they announced they expected all students to be on campus by 6th October for in person teaching.
My DD has had lots of correspondence from Warwick Uni and they’ve kept us very informed of their plans
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
2 days ago they announced they expected all students to be on campus by 6th October for in person teaching.
My DD has had lots of correspondence from Warwick Uni and they’ve kept us very informed of their plans
is this in England?
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
is this in England?
Yes it’s near Birmingham
Old 20 Jun 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

York Uni have been sending lots of communications to my daughter. It’s her firm choice offer. Seems they are planning for first years to be on campus. Not enough actual detail yet about how it will work.