Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 31 Mar 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
There have been a few threads on this in recent weeks.
I don't think there is a problem if you did the ESTA before the requirement change.
I seem to recall people using "old" ESTA's no problems.
I've not heard of any actual issues with anybody having issues due to a lack of both names. It's more people scared they might hit issues.
Most people that did first name only after the change because they were unaware of the change and were just filling is as per previous ESTAs have been approved as they expected. However the common path seems to be to resubmit with middle names included just to be on the safe side. I can't remember anyone confirming they did first names only after the change, left it as was and confirmed they got in without issue.

If you dig out the old threads or somebody posts links, you can get a better picture as you will undoubtedly pay more attention than I did. My key takeaway was to do ours correctly first time
Even people who have travelled on new ESTAs without middle names have reported having no problems. Thread here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=Esta

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip 29th March - 12th April 2017
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana!

Edited at 06:21 PM.
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Planning Japan - 2021 birthday surprise!
Unread 31 Mar 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Once again it isn't always as simple as putting your middle name in because it says so. With me being the dutiful person I did exactly that, but no matter how I did it, it would not have it, and kept asking me to correct the mistake and not letting me continue. In the end I deleted my middle name and bingo it let me carry on, so I am certainly going to stress about it. The system doesn't seem to like the name Kenneth lol

2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee
2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites
2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back after 2yrs Beach Club 1st time
Unread 31 Mar 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Even people who have travelled on new ESTAs without middle names have reported having no problems. Thread here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=Esta
Thanks for the link . Both DH and I dont have middle names, just DS x
kzrr02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Nobody seems to definitively know when the US introduced this update, which can be found within the ? to the side of the question re given name, unfortunately whilst applicants tick to say they've read the application those who've completed the form don't hover over the ?'s for further/updated info.

Currently it appears this update is not being enforced, the concern may rear it's head if the US advise airlines ESTA and pp names (as shown in the pp chevrons) must match. Will that happen, and when? Only the US know.
Unread 31 Mar 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Like you I did exactly the same, after reading threads on here , I thought that Id leave it and that my esta would be fine.
Then the doubt started to set in, what if I got to the airport and they wouldnt let me board etc etc.
So I emailed the cbp website ( esta enquires) , and received a response that the esta must be exactly as your name appears on your passport.
Okay so many days of thinking nah Ill be okay, I finally relented and redid our Estas for the sake of roughly 20 and my piece of mind.

Like others said above at first it wouldnt take my middle name on the form, and kept telling me to correct the mistake, what you have to do is put your middle name in, then delete it when it says its wrong, and then go to a different screen, then go back and it adds it, a bit of a faff, but it will do it.

Im sure I would have Been fine on my old Estas ( purchased in December last year). But my nerves wouldnt hold out

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
In my happy place
Unread 2 Apr 19, 03:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Hiya l2p, as ESTA accepted first name only for so long I appreciate some may be unconcerned, but with the US enforcing 'no instant ESTA', application must be no later than 72 hours pre-flight; if denied boarding due to ESTA/PP name discrepancy this may cause ESTA re-application issues at the airport, as per a Dibber last year. Unaware his bairns ESTA had expired, he made successful application at the airport but, per the 72 hour rule, US confirmation wasn't instantly sent to airline; boarding denied. Eventually the airline rang the US, they agreed to ESTA confirm, but not in time. Whilst he'd sent remaining family on their flight he/bairn missed it. They were transferred to a later flight that day costing c1600.

As only the US know if/when they'll enforce ESTA/PP name(s) match it's individual choice whether to re-apply.
Unread 2 Apr 19, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

I'm one of the people that applied just after the new "middle name" rule came into force, i think it was some time in October it was updated. We haven't travelled yet and are some 140 days away from doing so but i didn't put our middle names in either and id be very surprised if they enforce this rule until 2 years after they started asking for it as people will still have old estas which didn't require middle names. I think it would be very hard to police until then.
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Universal this time
Unread 2 Apr 19, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I did both mine and husbands estas in mid October with just our first names. We flew to New York in Feb and all was fine. Dh even has 2 middle names and everything was ok.
MrsBigdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
2nd onsite stay - CBR