Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jan 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
I really wish the mods would close these topics after the first page to prevent all the nonsense.
I tend to unsubscribe when it gets into a pragmatic loop nu if the mods did close threads down like this they ould be deeming to use the censorship card.

They can't win (although its their site they can do what they like within reason)
Old 31 Jan 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
I agree and the only fact is no one has been refused entry because they failed to disclose their middle name, at worst you may get an extra question at security!

People like to try and un-nerve people and it is simply not fair. We have been twice since this change and have gained entry no problem at all, without our middle names.

If there were a change of policy it would national headlines and plenty of warning would be given. Don't stress about it.
No one is trying to unnerve people. Everyone has stated, time and time again, that no one has been prevented from travelling to, or entering, the USA because their middle name is missing. I think we're all agreed on that one.

It just surprises me that some people don't seem to read the form and all the information about what they should enter. And that, after several threads on this issue over the last 12 months, some people still seem confused about what it is they are supposed to put on their ESTA form.

(BTW, the US authorities have changed policy in the past without much warning and it has caused a bit of chaos. I remember when they decided to enforce the requirement that everyone needed an e-passport a bit early and thousands of people had their ESTAs cancelled with no warning. Fun times!)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:51 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I really wish the mods would close these topics after the first page to prevent all the nonsense.
So you are in favour of censorship?

Edited at 02:46 PM.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I tend to unsubscribe when it gets into a pragmatic loop nu if the mods did close threads down like this they ould be deeming to use the censorship card.

They can't win (although its their site they can do what they like within reason)
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I did warn you MrFish
Old 31 Jan 20, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Just looking before I spend another $28 to replace the $28 I spent last week, I have asked cbp but apart from an auto answer nothing back to to confirm one way or the other.
Now I don't claim to be a genius but I would say fairly intelligent, so when a form asked for my "First (given) name" why would I need to hover over the ? mark ? Since I was old enough to talk I've known what my "First ( given) name" is in fact the only time that my First name & middle name were ever used would be when I was in trouble with my Mum ! Not to mention that I've never had to before IYKWIM
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Now I don't claim to be a genius but I would say fairly intelligent, so when a form asked for my "First (given) name" why would I need to hover over the ? mark ? Since I was old enough to talk I've known what my "First ( given) name" is in fact the only time that my First name & middle name were ever used would be when I was in trouble with my Mum ! Not to mention that I've never had to before IYKWIM
SD
Oh my goodness. Please read this thread.

This thread is trying to tell people that, yes, we know the title above that box is misleading and wrong. It should say "names" or "name(s)" rather than just "name". The ESTA form actually wants you to put whatever names are included in your passport, including a middle name if one is included. That information is included on the form in the pop up box (you no longer have to hover over the ? - the info appears automatically) and the box at the side of the form, if people cared to read the info. We realise that it may not be obvious - even to people who are fairly intelligent - and so we want to make people aware so that they don't make the same mistake as others.

This thread is also suggesting that people should read the whole of the form - including those question marks - just in case any other question titles are misleading or wrong. Don't assume the titles are correct. Do read all the information provided. Just as you would with any important form that you're filling in. Take a little extra time and care in filling in the form. Or not, it's up to you.

Finally, this thread also exists to tell people not to worry. It doesn't seem to matter if you do happen to make a mistake and enter the wrong thing (at least, not for certain fields like the "first (given) name" field). It's all ok. There's no need to panic. But it might be a good idea to correctly fill in the form next time.

Who'd have thought a missing "s" would cause so much confusion?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:25 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

There’s no ? button now. Whenever you go onto the box for the First( given ) name, the box comes up automatically with instructions what to put there. They must have changed it as there was a resistance to pressing a button, so it’s automatic now. If anyone chooses to ignore it then thats up to them.

Try it read it. It asks for more than a first name.

This is what the whole issue is about. Nothing to do with being stopped going into the USA, but all about filling out the form exactly as asked.

But as there seems to be lots of resistance to filling out the form correctly and following the instructions, I’ll step back now and leave it all to the
Individual to decide whether they fill it out as per instructions or not.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Chunky Peanut
slightly serious Dibber

When I filled out 3 the other night I didn't put middle names on but then uploaded the photos and it added them from those.
Chunky Peanut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
No but the threads always get derailed after the correct information has been given. Posters are made to feel stupid about their 'obvious' error by the same people, despite many thousands making the same error. Others try to give their experience to support them rather than belittle them.

I haven't seen a single person tell anybody to emit their middle name on purpose.

Edited at 04:43 PM.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tim17 View Post
But if you don't put your middle name on the application and this differs from your passport you still get approved.
As the DHS are unaware of your given names ESTA may not be denied for a lack of concentration/attention to the form, given names would only become evident at the airport when check-in compare travel docs (ESTA and pp).