Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 6 Apr 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
nuff70
a Friend of the DIBB

We renewed our ESTAs in January and didnt add middle names. We went to Florida on 19th March and had no problems at all.
nuff70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Actually, it doesn't. What it says is Given names (plural)
I think you are just being picky if Im honest . It clearly means what it says on your passport in that box . My mum has only one name but it still days given names . So basically the esta is pointing you to the same box on your passport and its suppose to match it .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , 1 night poly
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Return to Sicily :)
Unread 6 Apr 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
It says given names on this picture, not first given name like it says on the ESTA site. That is where my confusion came as my first given name is not my first name and middle name.
When I did our estas last week it just said given name on the application , it said nothing about first given name , hence the post to help others not to nit pick.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , 1 night poly
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Return to Sicily :)
Unread 8 Apr 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
I think you are just being picky if Im honest . It clearly means what it says on your passport in that box . My mum has only one name but it still days given names . So basically the esta is pointing you to the same box on your passport and its suppose to match it .
No, I wasn't being picky I was just pointing out that the passport nomenclature and the ESTA site are different. Your post implied they were identical - that's all.

It appears that you are very keen that everyone adds their middle name to the ESTA despite no evidence from anyone travelling that it really is required. Obviously, you have added your middle names to your ESTAs and that is great - you definitely won't have any issues getting in (as far as that requirement anyway). However, if people are happy that they will still get in despite not havng their middle names on their ESTAs (as has been the case with everyone so far) then that is their choice.

Although this is just conjecture, I would expect that the requirment is to reduce the number of false flags of people on the "No fly" list causing unneccesary work for CBP and unnneccesary delays for passengers. If you include all of your middle names then it is less likely that you will match someone with the same first name and surname that is on the "no fly" list. This actually happened to an old boss of mine that was delayed for 3 hours due to his first and last names matching someone on the list. He still got in but it was inconvenient for him and wasted a lot of time for the CBP officers dealing with it.

It would be a lot easier if the ESTA website simply said "All given names" rather than relying on someone to hover over the "?". After all, most people are aware of what their first given name is so wouldn't necessarily bother to seek further assistance.
Unread 8 Apr 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Again it says so in the help tool at the question.
It explains it all on the form. You just need to press the ? button as many others have said.
If you were confused as you said, did you press that button to get help?
I understand that its easy to miss, and Im asking this in the hope of it being of benefit to those who havent already done their ESTA, not to the detriment of yourself Lisa.
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word confusion.

I know my first given name, so I did not feel the need to click on the question mark. Had it said first given names, I would have clicked the question mark to see if it meant middle names.

I don't see why they can't amend the website to say first given names rather than first given name.

In progress - Another Birthday Trip, October 2019
COMPLETE - The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015
Complete - Five Little Ones Take the Adults!
The link to the post with my Christmas reveal is HERE
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 Lindfields Villa/01 Quality Inn Plaza/04 Hampton Lakes Villa/07 Honeymoon ASMo & RPR/Xmas 08 Highlands Reserve Villa/10 KV-VB-RPR&BLT/13 SSR/15 OKW, KV and Disney Dream/17 DLP/19 POR
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dance World Cup in Rome
Unread 8 Apr 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
No, I wasn't being picky I was just pointing out that the passport nomenclature and the ESTA site are different. Your post implied they were identical - that's all.

It appears that you are very keen that everyone adds their middle name to the ESTA despite no evidence from anyone travelling that it really is required. Obviously, you have added your middle names to your ESTAs and that is great - you definitely won't have any issues getting in (as far as that requirement anyway). However, if people are happy that they will still get in despite not havng their middle names on their ESTAs (as has been the case with everyone so far) then that is their choice.

Although this is just conjecture, I would expect that the requirment is to reduce the number of false flags of people on the "No fly" list causing unneccesary work for CBP and unnneccesary delays for passengers. If you include all of your middle names then it is less likely that you will match someone with the same first name and surname that is on the "no fly" list. This actually happened to an old boss of mine that was delayed for 3 hours due to his first and last names matching someone on the list. He still got in but it was inconvenient for him and wasted a lot of time for the CBP officers dealing with it.

It would be a lot easier if the ESTA website simply said "All given names" rather than relying on someone to hover over the "?". After all, most people are aware of what their first given name is so wouldn't necessarily bother to seek further assistance.
^^^^^bit in bold, this is exactly my thinking. First given name means first name and nothing else.

In progress - Another Birthday Trip, October 2019
COMPLETE - The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015
Complete - Five Little Ones Take the Adults!
The link to the post with my Christmas reveal is HERE
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 Lindfields Villa/01 Quality Inn Plaza/04 Hampton Lakes Villa/07 Honeymoon ASMo & RPR/Xmas 08 Highlands Reserve Villa/10 KV-VB-RPR&BLT/13 SSR/15 OKW, KV and Disney Dream/17 DLP/19 POR
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dance World Cup in Rome
Unread 13 Apr 19, 04:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
^^^^^bit in bold, this is exactly my thinking. First given name means first name and nothing else.
Hi Lisa, understandable logic for many (adding (s) on the end of a word seemed the answer) but the DHS argument may be updates are placed behind the ? therefore the official application must be read in full each time, irrespective of number of times one has applied.

As the DHS placed the 'no instant ESTA/72 hour' ruling banner at the top of the official ESTA site, perhaps they may do so if they begin name(s) enforcement.

The current red banner on the official site states:

'Citizens of participating Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries traveling to the United States are strongly encouraged to apply for an ESTA at the time of booking their trip and no later than 72 hours prior to departure'.
Unread 13 Apr 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
VIP Dibber

redone em now not taking the risk or maybe iam fingers crossed
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Going back
QuickSilver