Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 15 Oct 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

DVC Member Cruise - Oct 2019 - Final Day - New York

Getting up on that last day is torture. A bit of a sore head from Negroni nightcap(s), breakfast for the last time in Cabanas.

The New York skyline didn't look quite as enticing as it did when we left.

Immigration was supposed to be in Boston but as we didn't get there it was in the hall as we got off in New York. Was expecting long queues and miserable officers. Wrong, quick flash of the passport and waved through.

Taxi back to the Intercontinental Times Square, put out luggage into storage after answering yes to 'are you checking in'.

Straight to Ellen's Starlight Diner for a proper breakfast (the breakfast on the last morning is alway rubbish on the ship). Was a queue of about 50 people when we got there at 9:00, but in quickly and enjoyed the content show. Some good talent, some average and two very good performers.

Not the cheapest place but it was well cooked and we enjoyed it.

Now to eek out the rest of the day before out 9pm flight from JFK.

I'd booked The Ride with our last Go Pass before we got on the cruise (I didn't know you could do this until last week). Enjoyed this. A great ride around the sights with a twist on the usual commentary, well worth doing. Nice and warm too, outside was mid 60's.

My wife was feeling a bit tired after a few nights of poor sleep due to the heavy seas, made a return to the Heartland Brewery to sit at the bar, have snacks, drink beer and watch sports on the TV.

With hindsight I would have booked an earlier flight home, that last day was a long long day.

Headed to the hotel to pick the bags up, tipped appropriately and walked to Penn Station. This time it was on the LIRR to JFK, a much nicer journey on a more modern train. Checked at terminal 7. Can't quite understand how JFK (or this terminal) be so rubbish for such a major hub. There are better facilities at East Midland Aiport than here.

Flight uneventful, tube much easier from T5 that to it, we were the first on so could snag the best luggage spots and get a seat. Stayed on until Kings Cross this time and walked to Euston, probably a shorter distance than the trek getting from Green Park to Euston underground to Euston mainline.

It started to rain when we go there, took refuge in the nearest pub, watched Scotland get humped by Japan and enjoyed a full English and pint.

Train back to Nuneaton was a nice change from driving back, closed my eyes a few times and took a taxi to our house 3 street away.

Exhausted but very happy.

Had an amazing cruise, so many unique experience, so many interactions with many Disney/Pixar animators, producers, directors, composers, artists. Obviously met many other DVC members, the lowest number of points held was around 1,000 (we have 200), the most of 3,300.

Meeting our friends again and sharing this experience with them was probably the highlight, although meeting Bob Peterson when my fave movie is Monsters Inc was a close 2nd.

So many of the sneak peeks and interactions were surprisingly sad/emotional, really made you think and went far beyond entertainment.

Would we do it again?

Yep. But we have decided we will hold off until the 30th Member Cruise (maybe the 25th but more likely the 30th).

Gifts. Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention them...

There were loads, twice day in your stateroom and once a day in the lobby. When I get time I'll put up some photos.

Hats, throws, cups, lithographs, pins, signed books etc.

Only one DVC Member Cruise in 2020. It's already fully booked. We'll be slumming it on the Harmony of the Seas instead, bummer.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
It sounds like you had a very good time albeit the seas could have been a bit calmer!
May I ask did you bank and borrow for this trip?
Will be nice to see the gifts that they were giving out.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
It sounds like you had a very good time albeit the seas could have been a bit calmer!
May I ask did you bank and borrow for this trip?
Will be nice to see the gifts that they were giving out.
Was an excellent trip, very different from the other cruise experiences we have had due to the full schedule of extra events throughout the day.

We paid cash, the points for the trip were beyond us even with borrowing and banking - 345 each. We paid $2700 each at $1.43, £1888 each(you have to pay the entire amount upfront, no deposits - 100% refundable).

For comparison it works out at £269 per person a day, the standard 5 day Bermuda cruise (New York to Bermuda, no Boston) works out at £239 each a day.

We did the Panama in 2017, that worked out at £124 a day...
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Gosh $1.43. That's a dim and distant memory.

We are still to experience a Disney cruise having cancelled our May 19 one due to my Wife waiting for a new hip! Didn't want to be offshore should a problem have arisen.
We will be looking again though for 2021 as it really appeals to us.

Glad you had a good time though

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List