Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jan 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Assume for a florida trip?

fill in authorization form and then get it refused go anyway, hopefully avoid a fine...

* although for a NYC trip we filled in the form & stated we are going to see the New York Ballet/broadway shows.. as my daughter is GCSE dance/drama this got authorized as a educational trip/time off
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

It all depends on your local authority and the school. My children are at different schools (one primary and one secodary), we have only ever taken them out of school once and that was for our trip to florida in november. The head of my youngests primary school said have an amazing time its brilliant that you've got the chance to do a holiday like this, but it will be unauthorised and you will be fine (absolutely no exceptions or circumstances whatsoever, doesnt matter about attendance, levels or anything) the eldest daughters senior school said yep that's fine we will authorise that for you!

It really is down to the school and LA.
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
It really shouldn’t go on how you engage with the school though, the government guidelines are really clear that head teachers shouldn’t be authorising a normal holiday.
“Head teachers should only authorise leave of absence in exceptional circumstances. If a head teacher grants a leave request, it will be for the head teacher to determine the length of time that the child can be away from school. Leave is unlikely, however, to be granted for the purposes of a family holiday as a norm.”
The paragraph you quoted is laden with subjective phrasing though. "If"s and "should"s. And as the last line says, leave is "unlikely" to be granted for a family holiday "as a norm". Unlikely, but not forbidden, so it is allowable. As the whole paragraph says, it's up to the head teacher to determine. If the head teacher decides the holiday falls under "exceptional circumstances" or is not "the norm" (both of which could mean absolutely anything) then they can authorise it and nothing in the government guidelines prevents that.

I think what was meant is that if you engage with the school and explain to them (and convince them) that your situation involves "exceptional circumstances" then they may authorise the leave. But, yes, it is generally unlikely.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lifes2comp
Excited about Disney

We have taken out of primary school for a week in May around half term, our experience: Send letter and completed holiday form to school about 6 weeks before requesting absence. Comes back unauthorised (Kent CC) despite 100% attendance and >97% even after taking expected absence into account. Fine turns up after end of term for each parent. Phone council and pay penalty straight away.

Seems to vary a lot between schools/local authorities. I have never understood this.

For October, I would request at the beginning of the school year when they go back I would say. Explain circumstances truthfully, hope for authorised or no fine. If not, then pay the fine when arrives.
lifes2comp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

i’m really surprised that this thread is still going, however, when thomas cook collapsed our dates altered and now my daughter will miss the last day of term in july; her head teacher told me not to bother asking just phone her in sick! i wouldn’t however take her out of school unless i absolutely have to for mostly my own anxiety haha

Edited at 07:22 PM.
aladdin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Simba and nala View Post
How far in advance do you let school know ?
We don’t go until October
We went on 13th Oct last year, so they missed the week before half term. I sent the emails at the start of October.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

I suggest you look at your local LA guidance on penalty notices.
Your request will usually be accepted if t is just one day. You can only be fined for 2 or more days off. You will also find that exceptional circumstances cover sports trials, or sports competitions. You will need a cover letter from your team to back you up. And the big one you are unable to take time off at any other time during the holiday. We will be going to florida 2021. My husband breaks up 16th July I and dad will not until 22nd July. DHS has to be back and doing work by the 10th he line manages gcse and a level exams. Therefore must be back for those dates. This will be our last disney holiday
So will make the most. I have just got a job in a school and have also submitted my leave of absence form for the dates I want.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by lilo82 View Post
I suggest you look at your local LA guidance on penalty notices.
Your request will usually be accepted if t is just one day. You can only be fined for 2 or more days off. You will also find that exceptional circumstances cover sports trials, or sports competitions. You will need a cover letter from your team to back you up.
DD has never required a letter from her team when having time off to attend sports events. However, she's only usually required to have 1 day off from school at a time (I think the events tend to be on Friday/Saturday/Sunday so only needed to have Friday off), so that might be why she didn't need a letter.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Being a bit Goofy

I am taking my little girl out for over 2 weeks! I feel a little bit worried but for me lifes about memories.

I put in a form for 2 hours (1.30-3.30) which was declined! I've no chance of 2 weeks but doing it anyway (shes 6 by the way)
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

We took the girls out for 3 days in total before and after half term last October. We put the forms in to the school and the request came back denied but we have not been fined by the LA... so far.
thingy003 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List