Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jan 20, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

Mobile

So glad you could post on here

Please reach out for help, I’m sure your family & friends would want to know if you’re feeling low.

Sometimes I find everyone is so wrapped up in their own busy lives, & it’s crazy to think just how busy our lives are - it’s so easy to overlook people close to us who need help
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Sorry for this "essay" but thought my experience might help.

I've had depression to varying degrees for years now. Right from the start my GP has been very supportive. He started me off with pills and worked through various types, doses and combinations until we found the "best". It really doesn't bother me to take pills, my GP sees me every 6 months for blood tests and general chat about things.

I know some people don't want to take pills but I do think it's worthwhile trying.

I also had one to one counselling and group counselling. And cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). All arranged by my GP. When he saw that I was responding, he signed me up for a course at our local leisure centre - I had free use of gym, pool and classes for 3 months. I was sooo nervous to start with but once I'd made a start I realised that even a modest amount of exercise made me feel better. I've become a full member and really value the chance.

My current meds just keep the depression "under the surface" and although it breaks through from time to time, I know that it's likely to be temporary.

Anyway the moral of my story is to find a good GP and get them to work with you. See them regularly so that they build up good patient notes in case you have to see another doctor at any time.

You might find that once you have a "plan" of practical steps to try, you feel more positive.

I think this forum is the ideal place to discuss such matters. There's always someone with personal experience, ready to chat or offer personal advice via pm. It's easier IMO to discuss with strangers who have no dea what you look like !

Linda xx

Edited at 02:19 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
stephski25
slightly serious Dibber

stephski25's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I get what you are saying and exactly what you mean. I've been off of work for three weeks post major anxiety and then a diagnosis of depression. Things weren't great but I thought I was dealing with it okay. Long story short and after being in majors in a and e I was allowed home, diagnosed with dehydration and likely anxiety. I had gotten to the point where it wasn't just thoughts and I was having physical symptoms so I thought enough is enough and and I went to the gp who gave me a number for counselling. I rang them and was told a likely up to 18 weeks wait after the initial telephone cosultation which would be 10 days afterwards. With the way I felt I but the bullet and started private conselling. The best thing I did and I'm now three sessions in as of yesterday.

Things do get better, I know this now, even when at my lowest I couldn't see the light and it felt as if this was a forever thing. Try therapy and counselling if you can, it's not a weakness to do so. I have been able to express things and then she has helped me to link things together and developing ways to cope. I actually look forward to going there now. If it doesn't work for you at least you know you've tried it.

My inbox is open if needed and dibbers are here to support one another.

Best of wishes and lots of love x

Edited at 02:46 AM.
stephski25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

I can’t really add anything useful but just wanted you to know you are not alone. I’ve been struggling for a few years now and I’m very aware of just how many people are. I’m sure anxiety and depression aren’t new but it seems more and more people are suffering now, I don’t believe it’s just that we are talking about it more. Pressures of life today? Social media and ‘fake lives’? Who knows. It was only very recently that I realised the impact the menopause has had on my mental health. I’ve been very lucky with physical symptoms but it’s knocked me for six as far as my mental health goes. There are many people who feel the same way as you do and we are happy to support you. Be strong 👍🏼
Old 7 Jan 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Its really good that you are talking about it, I am sure that despite you feeling you would be bothering friends or family, that they would actually love to help you, I think you would be surprised at how much people care, and understand, and they definitely would not be better off without you...x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
2 days ago I admitted, after months of these feelings, that I am feeling very depressed, my other half who is always supportive, kind etc just looked at me and said “why”?... therein is the issue, I don’t know why. I feel almost bereft, daily, trying to focus on stuff, but stuff doesn’t seem to matter.

I can empathise with the poster, I know my mood is dropping daily...there is no one to talk to here, as expressing these feelings in a foreign language is so hard and so unnatural.

Like the poster it’s a bit of a ramble, hopefully it’ll help
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Go back to GP, request a different GP. Mental health issues are still not taken seriously enough by many GP's.

When my OH went to the GP the first time to ask for help, the GP actually said to him 'Well you manage to hold down a full time job so it isn't bad enough to need NHS help' He made him feel bad/guilty for taking up an appointment.

He went back and saw another GP and got the help he so needed

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s great you have spoken out that’s the first big step. As a teen and young adult I suffered really badly with my mental health. By my late 20’s I finally seemed to be recovered, 10 years later I had a blip and suffered with mild anxiety on and off for a couple of years but it was manageable. It then got quite bad so I sought help, I had talking therapy and CBT, after about 6 months I was on top of things so when I got a run of anxiety again last year I decided to see my gp and get some medication to ease it as I had all the other tools to deal with it. The tablets worked a treat for me and I was completely off of them within 5 months. If I felt that way again I wouldn’t hesitate to take the tablets as they really helped take the edge off so I could start to rationalise my anxious thoughts.
Suffering in silence is horrible so please keep talking even if it’s just on forums like this. I would also say go back to your GP, most places now have “talking therapy” services which I think you can access yourself without a GP referral. Medication isn’t for everyone I know and years ago I was very anti medication but I think when you combine it with other treatments like CBT etc then it’s great and can really help take the edge off that horrible panicky sinking feeling. It’s certainly worth thinking about.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
2 days ago I admitted, after months of these feelings, that I am feeling very depressed, my other half who is always supportive, kind etc just looked at me and said “why”?... therein is the issue, I don’t know why. I feel almost bereft, daily, trying to focus on stuff, but stuff doesn’t seem to matter.

I can empathise with the poster, I know my mood is dropping daily...there is no one to talk to here, as expressing these feelings in a foreign language is so hard and so unnatural.

Like the poster it’s a bit of a ramble, hopefully it’ll help
There is one problem there, the "Why?". My OH is the same, there has to be a reason for depression. Sadly, depression doesn't share his views. It's indiscriminate and strikes for no reason. How many times have I heard "But, what have you got to be depressed about"?
Old 7 Jan 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
There is one problem there, the "Why?". My OH is the same, there has to be a reason for depression. Sadly, depression doesn't share his views. It's indiscriminate and strikes for no reason. How many times have I heard "But, what have you got to be depressed about"?

Yep I think people who have never experienced anxiety/depression think there has to be one “thing” that has caused it and yes there are people out that that have had a very traumatic experience that sparks it but for the majority of people it is probably just a load of small things that build up over time and it overwhelms you suddenly. Sometimes things happen in your life - redundancy/losing an elderly relative/fallings out that kind of thing which you think you have just dealt with ok and moved on but maybe it lingers somewhere in your mind and then add that in to every day things like worry about your kids, elderly parents or money or whatever and you can see how people can suddenly feel like they have a huge amount going on and just get swamped.
A friend of mine had a breakdown a few years back - it came out of nowhere it seemed. But when you took apart her life in the 12 months prior to the breakdown a lot had happened, her mother moved abroad, she got made redundant, her partner and her bought their first home together which they had to gut and start over, she then got a new job. So whilst nothing horrible or really tragic happened it was just a lot in a short space of time.
I think a big problem is (and I think others have mentioned it in earlier posts) that people are very hard on themselves to be “perfect” and won’t allow themselves to get down on things. We seem to have a “must carry on no matter what” attitude and I think in a way it’s good to be a bit like that but when you are a lot like that it can end up being your downfall.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List