Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > TV and Film
Forgotten Password?
Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 19 Dec 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
#1
gjdjud
VIP Dibber

 
gjdjud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 11
Location: Surrey

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
The Rise of Skywalker. Spoilers Allowed!

I've just come out from seeing it and I have to say I'm very pleased. I was so concerned after a few negative reviews but but I thought it was very good. It wasn't without it issues though but nothing compared to The Last Jedi. The bits with Leia just didn't work. I'm very pleased I saw it without any spoilers so even though no I've said spoilers allowed I'll resist putting some apart from one. Can you believe that Wedge was back!

I enjoyed kylo ren's story arc. The bit with the medal coincided with me having some dust in my eyes that made them water. I say dont go in over complicating the story and just enjoy it. Attack Of The Clones it isnt.

Edited at 07:14 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WE ARE BOOKED!
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
#2
bighal
Imagineer
 
bighal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 07
Mobile

So they just threw in the bit that Leia started training to be a Jedi once so had a light sabre.. just so Rey could have 2.
__________________

Next Trip Feb '20
Jun 98 Apr 99 Dec 99 Apr 00 Mar 03 Jun/Jul 04 Dec/Jan 05/06 Jul 06 Dec 06 Jun/Jul 08 Jun/Jul 09 Jul/Aug 11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May'18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept'19 Villa/AKL
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
APs in hand.. Back for Rise of the Resistance
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
gjdjud
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
gjdjud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 11
Location: Surrey

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
So they just threw in the bit that Leia started training to be a Jedi once so had a light sabre.. just so Rey could have 2.
Leia for years in numerous Star Wars materials, books, novels has been trained as a jedi.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WE ARE BOOKED!
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
Siff
Earning More Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 16
I also just came from seeing it and I share a totally different view than you. I did not like it; I will be fair a judge it as a Star Wars movie (I am a huge fan of the franchise and I loved Rogue One and Mando) but i felt there was too much fan service and playing it safe. Also the disjointed feel between the movies, they really should have done better. For example in the last one, it was hammered into us that Rey is no one, now in this movie thats quite a diff theme. I also did not like kylo's ending (actually felt it should have been flipped)
The things I did like were the light sabre duels, the effects and yes there were some very touching moments (the ,"I know" did it for me)
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
Siff
Earning More Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 16
^yes, Leia has always been force sensitive in the expanded universe (even though Disney has disposed of much of this) but it may have felt like a patched on bit to viewers without context... just like the Emperor's arc in this one!
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
#6
gjdjud
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
gjdjud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 11
Location: Surrey

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Siff View Post
I also just came from seeing it and I share a totally different view than you. I did not like it; I will be fair a judge it as a Star Wars movie (I am a huge fan of the franchise and I loved Rogue One and Mando) but i felt there was too much fan service and playing it safe. Also the disjointed feel between the movies, they really should have done better. For example in the last one, it was hammered into us that Rey is no one, now in this movie thats quite a diff theme. I also did not like kylo's ending (actually felt it should have been flipped)
The things I did like were the light sabre duels, the effects and yes there were some very touching moments (the ,"I know" did it for me)
Fair enough but I dont understand comments about fan service. Why shouldnt things be done to please fans?
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WE ARE BOOKED!
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
#7
Siff
Earning More Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 16
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Fair enough but I dont understand comments about fan service. Why shouldnt things be done to please fans?
I felt it was not subtle at all and stuck in at every scene almost
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
#8
gjdjud
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
gjdjud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 11
Location: Surrey

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Siff View Post
^yes, Leia has always been force sensitive in the expanded universe (even though Disney has disposed of much of this) but it may have felt like a patched on bit to viewers without context... just like the Emperor's arc in this one!
But the Emperor sowed the seeds of his return in Revenge Of The Sith.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WE ARE BOOKED!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Discount Florida Car Hire

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

QuickSilver

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

theDIBB Menu

TravelPlanners

US Dollar Rates
Covent Garden FX  $1.2829
FAIRFX  $1.2700
John Lewis  $1.2775
M&S  $1.2598
Post Office  $1.2522
Sainsburys  $1.2698
Travelex  $1.2710
Updated: 09:02 19/02/2020

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
Covent Garden FX  €1.1873
FAIRFX  €1.1765
John Lewis  €1.1824
M&S  €1.1668
Post Office  €1.1593
Sainsburys  €1.1762
Travelex  €1.1739
Updated: 09:02 19/02/2020

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Wed 19th Feb 4:03am
Now: 21C/70F
Broken Clouds
Broken Clouds
Cloud Cover: 75%
Wind: 2mph - W Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1021mb
Humidity: 100%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 09:00 19/02/2020