Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > TV and Film
Forgotten Password?
Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.
Unread 19 Dec 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
VIP Dibber

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
The Rise of Skywalker. Spoilers Allowed!

I've just come out from seeing it and I have to say I'm very pleased. I was so concerned after a few negative reviews but but I thought it was very good. It wasn't without it issues though but nothing compared to The Last Jedi. The bits with Leia just didn't work. I'm very pleased I saw it without any spoilers so even though no I've said spoilers allowed I'll resist putting some apart from one. Can you believe that Wedge was back!

I enjoyed kylo ren's story arc. The bit with the medal coincided with me having some dust in my eyes that made them water. I say dont go in over complicating the story and just enjoy it. Attack Of The Clones it isnt.

Edited at 07:14 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WE ARE BOOKED!
Unread 19 Dec 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

So they just threw in the bit that Leia started training to be a Jedi once so had a light sabre.. just so Rey could have 2.

Next Trip Feb '20
Jun 98 Apr 99 Dec 99 Apr 00 Mar 03 Jun/Jul 04 Dec/Jan 05/06 Jul 06 Dec 06 Jun/Jul 08 Jun/Jul 09 Jul/Aug 11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May'18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept'19 Villa/AKL
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
APs in hand.. Back for Rise of the Resistance
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
VIP Dibber

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
So they just threw in the bit that Leia started training to be a Jedi once so had a light sabre.. just so Rey could have 2.
Leia for years in numerous Star Wars materials, books, novels has been trained as a jedi.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WE ARE BOOKED!
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Earning More Ears

I also just came from seeing it and I share a totally different view than you. I did not like it; I will be fair a judge it as a Star Wars movie (I am a huge fan of the franchise and I loved Rogue One and Mando) but i felt there was too much fan service and playing it safe. Also the disjointed feel between the movies, they really should have done better. For example in the last one, it was hammered into us that Rey is no one, now in this movie thats quite a diff theme. I also did not like kylo's ending (actually felt it should have been flipped)
The things I did like were the light sabre duels, the effects and yes there were some very touching moments (the ,"I know" did it for me)
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Earning More Ears

^yes, Leia has always been force sensitive in the expanded universe (even though Disney has disposed of much of this) but it may have felt like a patched on bit to viewers without context... just like the Emperor's arc in this one!
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
VIP Dibber

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Siff View Post
I also just came from seeing it and I share a totally different view than you. I did not like it; I will be fair a judge it as a Star Wars movie (I am a huge fan of the franchise and I loved Rogue One and Mando) but i felt there was too much fan service and playing it safe. Also the disjointed feel between the movies, they really should have done better. For example in the last one, it was hammered into us that Rey is no one, now in this movie thats quite a diff theme. I also did not like kylo's ending (actually felt it should have been flipped)
The things I did like were the light sabre duels, the effects and yes there were some very touching moments (the ,"I know" did it for me)
Fair enough but I dont understand comments about fan service. Why shouldnt things be done to please fans?
WE ARE BOOKED!
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Fair enough but I dont understand comments about fan service. Why shouldnt things be done to please fans?
I felt it was not subtle at all and stuck in at every scene almost
Unread 19 Dec 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
VIP Dibber

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Siff View Post
^yes, Leia has always been force sensitive in the expanded universe (even though Disney has disposed of much of this) but it may have felt like a patched on bit to viewers without context... just like the Emperor's arc in this one!
But the Emperor sowed the seeds of his return in Revenge Of The Sith.
WE ARE BOOKED!
Discount Florida Car Hire