Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 17 Jan 20, 05:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Eldent
New Poster (4)

Mobile

We did this last year. My daughter missed the last two days of term and first two days back. My husband and I both received fines and have had to pay 120. My sister's a teacher and told us about the 5 day rule but unfortunately it didn't apply and we were fined.
Eldent is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 20, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

One thing worth noting is that in some schools you are less likely to get a fine towards the beginning of the year as som schools base fines on the class/school attendance as a whole rather than your child.

Like many it seems that you need to do this as it is cheaper outside of school holidays this is not a reason for authorised leave to be granted.

Last year we did not have our leave granted even though we needed to go at that time of the year to see the Bears in Colorado and we took In 6 state parks.

As I said Florida is not high on the agenda for an educational destination (though my nieces school did a school trip there ! ) families go to Orlando for theme parks and despite what Disney say about EPCOT there are far more places to go if your reason for trip is educational. Even coming out of the parks the areas around them are not typical of demonstrative of American life, I did not go to Orlando until about my 6th trip if I had gone there first I would never have gone back to the USA its not dissimilar to Blackpool.

As I also said please do not ask the teachers to supply work if they offer thats fair enough, but you are choosing for your kids to miss school. I was speaking to teachers about this yesterday and contrary to what you may here on her they hate it, teachers on here have posted that as well, its not fair on them and most of the time the kids dont do it or dont do it properly anyway. The price you pay for taking kids out is that they miss some of their education. It will also cause arguments and affect your holiday.

As I have said I take my daughter out though as she is s year six next year we will take her out after the 11 plus and that will be the last time until after her GCSEs so I am not criticising anyone or judging please dont think that I am.

Just on another note I am Asumming you are going for a fortnight well first trip disney universal and KSC etc will be a push and imho a bit of a waste of money we go for three weeks and even then Disney and other stuff without Universal is more than enough to do and if money is an issue Universal tickets would probably be 1k.

Edited at 06:47 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR ex Construction Site
Unread 17 Jan 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Apprentice Imagineer

I always took both my boys out for a week added on to the October half term or the May holiday,maybe every couple of years, didnt do them any harm, one of them got 2A* & an A at A Level, so each to their own, I always asked what they would be missing and get work to do beforehand
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BostonChicago
Unread 17 Jan 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Angcap
Gone all Goofy

A difficult one to answer! I have ALWAYS taken my 3 girls out of school. Was I right to do it? Probably not BUT I am very lucky, my girls had great attendance, always completed home work (usually more than required) and were hard working students.
For us it worked out well due to their attitude to work hard and determination to do well. It didnt affect their schooling and grades at all.
The memories were well worth it and holidays remain one of the most important part of our family life.
If they didnt work so hard then maybe I would have acted differently.
Only you know if its worth it.

But if I were you I would go and have a great time!

Edited at 08:52 AM.
Angcap is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our Famouse Five holiday
Unread 17 Jan 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
Imagineer

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We did this in October 2019. They missed the week before half term and we came back the Sunday morning before going back to school. Mine were in year 7 & year 9, we didn't get fined by either school (they go to different secondary schools) We had personal reasons why we took them out of school, and one school authorised 3 out of the 5 days (the maximum they can authorise) due to the circumstances and 2 were unauthorised, no fine was issued. The other school basically said they wouldn't authorise and my son was to catch up on any missed work, again, no fine issued. We wont be doing it again, due to our eldest entering GCSE years, but we really needed that time away as a family and we would have done it had we gone to Tenerife or Florida, we just needed a break from reality.

It's a personal decision, and many will have strong opinions on taking kids out of school, but I am a firm believer of life is too short and we're so fortunate to be able to enjoy it with our loved ones, so many don't get that chance. As long as it wont be detrimental to the kids education, then I don't see the problem. Had we been fined, we would have paid it.

Edited at 10:23 AM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Trip 4 - the non onsite trip
Unread 17 Jan 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
I spent 30 years teaching primary. I have also taken my child out of school in term time to holiday in Orlando.
I think traditionally teachers only worried about primary age children having term time holiday if it would cause or exacerbate academic or social difficulties for the child. Then the curriculum became very tight, testing points were introduced in Year 2 and Year 6 and inspectors arrived who were interested in attendance rates. This has led us to the point we're at today with the potential for fines etc and parents occasionally feeling frustrated at schools who are forced to police a system generally not of their making or desire.

As far as fairness to teachers goes, while test results honestly make little difference to most children they can have very negative consequences for teachers and for individual schools. Consequently a child removed from school in early Year 2, Late Year 5 or in early Year 6 can be a source of additional teacher workload as they may miss a test or require curriculum gaps filling prior to one.

In regard to children receiving work to do on holiday I think if the teacher offers then it may be the result of school policy, particular concern for that child etc in which case it should be accepted, completed to a reasonable standard and properly responded to by the teacher. If the teacher doesn't offer I personally wouldn't be inclined to ask. Being very aware that my child is less than a thirtieth of the teachers over all responsibility I would be embarrassed to add to his/her workload as part of reducing the cost of my leisure activity. Teachers are professionals who need to retain high quality relationships with parents for the good of pupils and for the school over all. Whether they smilingly 'don't seem to mind' is often not a good marker of how they actually feel. However you could also take the view point that removing a child from school for a holiday reduces the marking load while they are gone and therefore does the teacher a favour in that regard :-)

Edited at 09:40 AM.
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Budget Trip for DD's 21st and Graduation
Unread 17 Jan 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I also think there is a big difference taking a child out for a week or a fortnight a week being 1/6 of a term a fortnight being 1/3 add in a bit of jet lag and you could be missing or at least nit up to scratch for close to half a term.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR ex Construction Site
Unread 17 Jan 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I also think there is a big difference taking a child out for a week or a fortnight a week being 1/6 of a term a fortnight being 1/3 add in a bit of jet lag and you could be missing or at least nit up to scratch for close to half a term.
I think there may be a muddle between a half term and a term here? Terms can have significant variance in length but as there are three of them in the school year they are much closer to 12 weeks in length than six.
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Budget Trip for DD's 21st and Graduation
Attraction Tickets