Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

So sorry for your loss and the further upset caused by this, I hope you are ok. I think it is poor form from funeral directors not to explain what happens. I would have presumed that ashes came in an urn before reading this. Thank you for posting because I think it will be helpful to some people in the future when in the same position.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Arielrocks, you are so right about laughing at the quality street box, my mums scatter tube made me think of shake n vac
That’s literally the jingle that was going round in my head as we scattered him. 😂 he was only 57, taken far too early and always enjoyed a laugh. He would have appreciated the joke.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

Well its not the norm in Devon, we scattered mother in laws ashes last Sunday. Her ashes were held by the funeral director as long as we wanted and they ended up being there 6 months. they were in a beautiful biodegradable cardboard box with bluebell woods picture on, we chose this box before her funeral we could have had a round tube like one or a square taller box. the funeral director didn't charge any extra for storing the ashes and told us to take as long as we wanted. We scattered Mother in law on Dartmoor overlooking Widecombe in the Moor where Father in law's ashes were. We have the box and I have suggested to husband that we bury it in our garden and put a rose bush over the top of it as roses were her favourite flowers.
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Is now a good time to mention funny scattering stories?
I managed to get my grandfather in my mouth and my eyes and my grandmother in my shoes.
(Different occasions)
Both would have found this hysterical so it really did lighten the mood!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I managed to get my grandfather in my mouth and my eyes and my grandmother in my shoes.
(Different occasions)
😂😂oh dear
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridag1rl View Post
Well its not the norm in Devon, we scattered mother in laws ashes last Sunday. Her ashes were held by the funeral director as long as we wanted and they ended up being there 6 months. they were in a beautiful biodegradable cardboard box with bluebell woods picture on, we chose this box before her funeral we could have had a round tube like one or a square taller box. the funeral director didn't charge any extra for storing the ashes and told us to take as long as we wanted. We scattered Mother in law on Dartmoor overlooking Widecombe in the Moor where Father in law's ashes were. We have the box and I have suggested to husband that we bury it in our garden and put a rose bush over the top of it as roses were her favourite flowers.
Thats the one i have now,the bluebell wood one
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridag1rl View Post
Burying a loved one in your garden clearly has worked for you but I would advise against it for many people. I have worked with some bereaved people who have found they cannot move house because they do not want to leave their loved one behind.

I would suggest that ashes are scattered or buried in a more public space that will always be available to family and friends.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mobile

(Different occasions)
Can imagine!
We have a sweet story, we sprinkled my dad in his favourite spot by a river in France and DD6 at the time picked up some of the ashes and threw them in the river... "so they will be at the seaside when we get home"
made us quite emotional.

Not like FIL whose ashes got damp, MIL went to cast him to the wind and he slid out in a cylindrical lump. We did have a laugh at him still being a contrary @#$%@#$
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

(Different occasions)
My hubby was in the navy for 25 years and spent that time in Portsmouth and Fareham. He moved north when we met. We spent lots of time down there when the kids where growing up and always visited Lee on silent to walk across the pebbles and get ice cream.
The kids and I decided to sprinkle some of his ashes in the Solent and we couldn't have picked a windier day to go. Not sure if he made it into the sea that day but we had a giggle about it.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

My ex husband was one of those people who ‘it could only happen to’. Our daughters called them Dad Moments. When we were interring his ashes, we went to meet the cemetery officer at our village cemetery. He arrived, absolutely bereft because the grave digger had dug the plot at the cemetery in the neighbouring town. He assured us the guy was on his way and the plot would be dug at our cemetery as soon as possible. My daughters and I burst out laughing. I’m sure he thought we were an odd lot, laughing at such a thing but it was a classic ‘Dad Moment’. It lightened the mood for my girls too, sort of eased the tension on a very difficult day for them.