Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
NikkiT
slightly serious Dibber

MAN-LHR-ORD-MCO and then MCO-PHI-LHR-MAN - HELP!

I hope someone can help.

After deciding to treat ourselves for this year's trip we booked PE with AA from Manchester via Philadelphia last year as soon as the flights we released and we got a price we were happy with.

Just before Christmas we discovered that our seats had been changed to the back of the plane - upon calling we were told that AA are no longer doing PE from Manchester. So we are now going via Heathrow and Philadelphia and via Chicago on the return leg.

We have done indirect before but not a "two legged" and I have a few queries.

Will be have to collect our luggage in London (either way), I'm assuming we will collect in Philadelphia as previously but not in Chicago on our return is that correct?

Also as we are internal on the first leg what time do we have to check in? I know long haul is usually three hours (although we do four - would hate to miss a flight) so wondered what time check in would open for our flight down to London?

Anyone have any experience of this route? Just trying to get is straight in my head as there will us, our DS12 and our in-laws who will need assistance so the more I am prepared the better!

Thanks
Nikki x
1998 Villa 2000 Southern Dunes 2004 Southern Dunes - Wedding & Honeymoon! 2005 Southern Dunes 2007 Best Western Lakeside just the 2 of us 2010 Best Western Lakeside & toddler makes 3! 2012 Indian Creek 2013 Indian Creek 2014 Indian Creek 2015 Indian Creek for my 40th! 2016 1st time on site @ CBR 2017 1st time @ POR 2018 1st time @ Halloween & CBR again 2019 Indian Creek 2020 Cancelled 2023 Indian Creek
NikkiT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Personally, as they've moved you from Premium, I would check what other alternatives there are for flights rather than simply accepting a double-legger and be worse off, or have you already accepted this?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

You will not see your checked luggage at LHR in either direction. You are correct that you'll have to collect it, and drop it off after customs, at PHL on the outbound, but not at ORD on the return (it will be checked all the way from MCO to MAN).

On the outbound, if your LHR-PHL flight is operated by BA, you do not need to change terminals or reclear security at LHR. If it is operates by AA, you will need to do both (security at T3 after the transfer from T5). You'll also have to reclear security in PHL. On the return, you will have to go through immigration and reclear security at T5 in LHR (after a terminal transfer if the ORD-LHR flight is operated by AA).

Checking in / bag drop 2 hours before the first flight should be fine, but to be honest this all comes down to personal risk tolerance, plus sensible contingency for travel delays to airport etc.

Edit - BTW, is it definitely PHL outbound and ORD return? Your thread title has it the other way round, though as far as the above process goes, it wouldn't change anything (except connecting at ORD outbound might be a bit more painful than PHL, though I haven't done an ORD connection international to domestic recently).

Edited at 03:53 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post

I think you are correct on bag collection on way there and back. I would allow at least two hours for the initial domestic flight. However, I really would not want to do this route and would look for something different.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

I'm assuming the OP took this change in order to stay in PE. If that is a requirement, alternatives are a bit thin on the ground.

AA doesn't have any other routes from MAN, neither does BA transatlantic. The chances of AA rebooking onto Virgin/Delta from MAN are extremely low this far out. The only other route I can think of with PE and fewer than 2 changes would be MAN-LHR//LGW-MCO (and return), but obviously that brings the London airport transfer into play.

This itinerary will be easier at LHR if the transatlantic flights are operated by BA rather than AA (both airlines fly between LHR and PHL/ORD), though of course connection times will also be a consideration.

Edited at 03:57 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
NikkiT
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for your replies, sorry I got mixed up and confused you all!

We are going via Chicago on the way out and Philly on our return, flights to and from Manchester and Heathrow are all BA, only AA flights are the American internal ones. So it looks flight terminal changes etc shouldn’t be needed.

We have made this change to stay in PE, and with MIL using a mobility scooter I don’t think changing airports in London would be do-able!

We have accepted this offer but can have a refund if we want (although I can’t find PE flights for anywhere near what we paid) and we were offered other flights via Miami but the journey was made even longer!

If anyone knows of any other routes that are more direct please let me know and I can got back to AA, do BA go direct to MCO from LGW?

Thanks again for your help x
1998 Villa 2000 Southern Dunes 2004 Southern Dunes - Wedding & Honeymoon! 2005 Southern Dunes 2007 Best Western Lakeside just the 2 of us 2010 Best Western Lakeside & toddler makes 3! 2012 Indian Creek 2013 Indian Creek 2014 Indian Creek 2015 Indian Creek for my 40th! 2016 1st time on site @ CBR 2017 1st time @ POR 2018 1st time @ Halloween & CBR again 2019 Indian Creek 2020 Cancelled 2023 Indian Creek
NikkiT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

BA do go direct from Gatwick to MCO. Good Luck
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Peko has provided spot on information above so I won't reiterate it all apart from highlighting again where he mentioned that you would be better off sticking to BA operated planes to ease your transfer in Heathrow and that I too prefer Philly but it depends on the flight times and maybe even the seatplan would be a deciding factor too.

Given that there's a current thread on here about the very high P.E. Virgin fares from MAN then I very much doubt that rebooking after a refund would be economical.

Best Wishes.
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Hello, on the AA plane did you see the seats for Main Cabin Extra? It’s certainly not PE but you do get a lot more legroom, then you wouldn’t have to change your original route
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

personally I would sacrifice PE , doing an extra plane transfer will just be so much hassle if you have someone who needs mobility assistance, & the more transfers the more likelihood of something going wrong with either delays or baggage issues. we had a lost pushchair in transit on 1 of our usa trips & it was such a stressful start to the holiday.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List