Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

We bought ours 18 or 19 years ago. We’re in Hants and looking to move somewhere a little cheaper so I could maybe quit the day job.
Our friends have just bought the most incredible house about 25 mins away from us that I could only dream of where we are!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Don't forget a few on here including my Wife and I bought in the early 80's when the average mortgage was circa £35K and we watched our house prices double every 3 years!

But we are also the generation who at one stage saw the mortgage rate go above 13%
Us too. We bought our semi detached cottage back in 1989 for about £12,500! Got a full grant and did a total refurb.

Edited at 12:29 AM.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TheRobsters
Getting Excited

Oh I do wish that houses around here (we live an hour south of London on the coast) were as reasonable as some of the previous posts... we have a 3 bedroom semi with no garage or driveway which we bought 15 yrs ago for £212k. Now worth around £550.k
I do worry for my children if they wish to own as wages have not kept pace with the rise in property prices.
TheRobsters is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We own our house. It’s our second house (as in on the ladder we don’t own two). We’re 31 and hardly any of our friends own homes so I know how lucky we are.

We bought our first house in Somerset and then moved to Oxford. The difference in house prices was insane! The amount we paid for our house here we’d be able to get a 4 bed detached in Somerset.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TheRobsters View Post
Oh I do wish that houses around here (we live an hour south of London on the coast) were as reasonable as some of the previous posts... we have a 3 bedroom semi with no garage or driveway which we bought 15 yrs ago for £212k. Now worth around £550.k
I do worry for my children if they wish to own as wages have not kept pace with the rise in property prices.
You could always cash in and relocate.
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
Two bed tiny terraced house in Surrey. Others recently sold by us for around £375,000. Both bedrooms have en-suites and we have a downstairs cloakroom. There’s only the two of us here.

We did look to move to bigger and increase our mortgage a few years ago, but most people looking at ours were downsizing so we decided to stay put and enjoy life.

I’m 53 and mortgage free now.

We have lovely holidays, are luckily enough to just buy anything if we want it and both have nice cars.

A lot of people we know have interest only mortgages and are banking on their property prices increasing enough to enable them to move to smaller and hopefully be mortgage free in the end. It’s the only way they can have houses big enough for their families now without paying silly money in rent.
That’s not a tiny 2 bed terrace though, that sounds palatial.
The traditional 2 bed terrace is 2 up 2 down. So our house has 2 beds upstairs; no bathroom.
Downstairs would have had 2 reception rooms. Previous owners had put an extension into the yard for a tiny galley kitchen and the worlds smallest bathroom, as the bathroom would have been outside.
We got rid of the second reception room and made it into a kitchen, as the galley kitchen had only 6 cupboards, 3 double door units; 2 on one side, one under the sink, we now use that as a utility room.
It only cost us £82k though as had a lot of work to do.
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
You could always cash in and relocate.
Whilst I see where you’re coming from it’s not as easy to just up sticks and move to a completely different part of the country. If you are in the South, the move would have to be quite substantial to make it worthwhile. Most including me would have to consider work, family, friends and kids’ schooling amongst other smaller reasons

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We currently live in a very spacious mid through terrace with high ceilings and period features that was built circa 1860. We converted the loft and added an en-suite in 2013 so it is now a 4 bedroom property. All the bedrooms bar the 4th are double bedrooms and I don’t think my boys realise how lucky they are to have such large rooms. We are surrounded by fields and I love where I live. It’s so tranquil and because the walls are so thick we never hear the neighbours. We bought it for £220,000 when prices were high in 2007 and then they dropped. Our neighbour has just sold hers for £250,000. Not that I’m planning on moving but I’m happier that at last they are being valued at more than I paid for it.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
What amazes me is the buy and demolish brigade.

About 500 yards away from us a house was on for £750k. It was a bloody awful design and wouldn’t shift. Bought buy a developer who demolished it and is offering a 5 bed house of the purchasers design for £1.5 million
I know come the Spring it will sell.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

We paid 330k 13 years ago, one sold in the street for 501k (why the one I don't know) last year. We are in North Leeds.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List