Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in Merseyside between Liverpool and Nirth Wales, 5 bed detached with wrap around private gardens and large drive, would hope to get around £400k but she needs some TLC so where grounded this year no flying, we are 3 years out from beginning mortgage free
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mortgaged 3 bed semi detached house extended a fair bit worth about 290k now.
Live Oxfordshire
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

We’ve just moved to our second house. It’s mortgaged. We pay quite a lot a month for it. It’s only 1 year old. It’s a 4 bed, 3 wash rooms (this I hate as I would love only 1 for the cleaning!) big kitchen and living room. The garden is big, garage and a 2 car drive way. This is in Nottinghamshire.
It’s more money than I would have liked to have spent on a house but the mortgage is good at 2.04%.

We have moved from a 2 bed mid terrace in South Yorkshire. It was 2 up 2 down. Garage at end of the street. No actual parking and it was untarmac road. We were quite close to paying it off at one point. Unfortunately when we bought it at just turned 19 we were very naive. We took mortgage advise from a bank that didn’t put any off that in writing and ended up with a 6.34% mortgage rate. Didn’t understand or have enough money to buy out of the mortgage.

I feel very lucky to be where we are right now. Even though we,especially hubby, has worked so damn hard for it, I do feel like it’s luck too.

What is slightly annoying me is in the back of my mind says over pay the mortgage. The other part says live and take the kids places and do things while they are little now that we finally can give them all these things.

Edited at 09:30 PM.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
That’s not a tiny 2 bed terrace though, that sounds palatial.
The traditional 2 bed terrace is 2 up 2 down. So our house has 2 beds upstairs; no bathroom.
Downstairs would have had 2 reception rooms. Previous owners had put an extension into the yard for a tiny galley kitchen and the worlds smallest bathroom, as the bathroom would have been outside.
We got rid of the second reception room and made it into a kitchen, as the galley kitchen had only 6 cupboards, 3 double door units; 2 on one side, one under the sink, we now use that as a utility room.
It only cost us £82k though as had a lot of work to do.
Upstairs en-suites and downstairs cloakroom aside our house is tiny. Galley kitchen and only one main living/dining room. But we have it minimal so it’s nice.

However when we looked to move to bigger we would have lost an en-suite and/or the downstairs cloakroom. Those we gain a lot from when anyone stays and it was a positive when people were looking to buy so we decided to stay put, put up with the small living/dining room, pay the mortgage off and enjoy life.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in a semi detached in a lovely village right next to Heathrow. Our house will be demolished if the third runway goes ahead. We had our last mortgage payment in Sep last year! 🤗
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We are in York, still in our first home that we bought 21 years ago for 98k, borrowed another 60k for renovations and it was valued last year at 480k. It's not a typical first time buyers house though, it's a four bedroom, 3 reception room Edwardian semi with many original features and a 200 ft garden and off street parking.

It needed full renovation (we've replaced everything: water pipes, drains, full rewire, windows, roof, new kitchen, bathroom etc).

I know how lucky we are, we are in walking distance of city centre but also in an area with a fairly nice community feel. We nearly sold last year because of horrid neighbours but luckily they moved and we have stayed in our lovely house. To get what we wanted in a local village we were looking at least at 650k so very pleased not to have to increase our mortgage.
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow a vast difference in prices / areas. It’s rather eye watering some of the house prices.
We bought our house 16 years ago. Luckily my husband renovated our first home and we made a tidy profit allowing us to buy this one. Unless we downsize (or win the lottery) we won’t move again. We can walk into town, walk to the hospital, walk to the main park & Haigh Hall so it’s a good location. We can also walk to the train station, great schools too everything within a 20 min walk. We were the last people to move onto our avenue so I have no idea how much our house would sell for now. No one moves as it’s such a great/handy location. We bought it for £190K and we have put an extension on the back so it has an open living, dining & kitchen area with an office (that our middle son uses as his gaming room) and a playroom that was once the garage. Large front garden with drive way for two cars and a decent back garden.
However our back garden backs onto the railway line so would effect the property value.
With the money we spent on the extension I imagine we will brake even but we won’t move anyway
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We live in the North East. We have moved a few times in 22 years and have been lucky with housing prices going up so recently we were able to downsize and have no mortgage.

Like a previous poster if I sat we have 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms it sounds like a big house. But it’s genuinely a small townhouse with 1 decent and 3 very small bedrooms and too many bathrooms. It was 5 years old and had been empty for 6 months so we got a good deal and paid £200k for it.

While the NE is good for low house prices. It also means that we would struggle to buy anywhere else and I would like to relocate when we retire. I have dreams of a cottage in a pretty village but our budget won’t ever stretch to that.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sold our 3 bed detached cottage in Sussex 2014 for the 400K mark

Bought a renovation project here in rural Spain with 3 beds detached a hectare of land for 70K spent 20K on it to get it finished.

So we have a 3 bedroom farmhouse with land, animal barns etc for 90K

We banked the rest to retire
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Such a price difference in different areas! Really interesting.

We're in Essex, 35 mins on the train from London with good road links.

Our 3 bed terrace has been extended (by us) double height to the front, and single height out the back. We've been valued at £360k but don't plan on moving any time soon.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List