Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 23 Jan 20, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My son is at uni in the USA so obviously on a student visa but he is only allowed to work on campus in a university appointed position. If he were to do any other unapproved paid work at all his visa would be revoked.

I expect your daughter's visa would only allow her to do similar on-campus jobs and if she's only there for one semester there might not be many jobs open to her.

I'm no expert on her boyfriend's status but the US authorities are very strict and I doubt he would be allowed to work at all.

But why would she not bother applying because her boyfriend couldn't go? To give up a great opportunity for what amounts to just a few weeks apart would be madness and something she'd probably regret down the line.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Are we there yet?
Unread 23 Jan 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Being a bit Goofy

This is such a great opportunity for her. I would be tempted to encourage her to think about appling anyhow and as you say he could go over for a holiday (she would only be gone for 5 weeks if he went in the middle) DD did a placement year in London as part of her degree but many of her friends did a year abroad including one of her best friends who went to Canada whilst her boyfriend went to Australia (they met for Christmas in Canada)they are still together 2 years on!
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Belated 21st Trip
Unread 23 Jan 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
floridavisitor
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Heluvsme View Post
I live in the US, and whenever someone calls an electrician to come fix something, more times than not they bring an intern with them, someone who is not fully licensed but is working on it. If her boyfriend is licensed in the UK, but not here, I bet he could easily get hired on as an intern, or apprentice.
But I agree with the previous poster, your daughter will benefit so much from studying abroad. My daughter went to Oxford for a term and it was so amazing for her! Such an invaluable experience!
I bet he couldn't...

He would still need the same working visa that he'd need if he was being paid for the role on a full time basis (even if done for free).

You won't get a working visa unless you have a skill that is required (and I'm sure unqualified electrician isn't on that list)
floridavisitor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I won't wear a big fanny pack
Unread 23 Jan 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

friend of my mrs emigrated to Pheonix, she had a job teed up university (non academic) and her husband & 5 year old went as well obviously

the terms of her husbands visa was he couldnt work at all for 3 years but as a air con engineer he was allowed to work after this 3 years provided he took qualifications in US regs etc etc

so id be amazed if allowed to work for 3 months , as it where unqualified.. or indeed work at all
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
floridavisitor
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
This is such a great opportunity for her. I would be tempted to encourage her to think about appling anyhow and as you say he could go over for a holiday (she would only be gone for 5 weeks if he went in the middle) DD did a placement year in London as part of her degree but many of her friends did a year abroad including one of her best friends who went to Canada whilst her boyfriend went to Australia (they met for Christmas in Canada)they are still together 2 years on!
Great advice...

Honestly if he is not able to "put up with" a 3 month separation (potentially with a holiday in the middle to make it easier still) in order to allow her to have this great experience and progress her career, I'd argue he isn't the one and she would be better advises to bin him and go find a nice American guy instead
floridavisitor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I won't wear a big fanny pack
Unread 24 Jan 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

Almost impossible. USA is one of the few countries that doesn't operate a youth working visa scheme for UK citizens.

I try very hard not to make decisions for my kids, but I'd be seriously persuading my daughter to go. Three months is no time at all, and if he is really the one, she has the rest of her life to spend with him. And something like studying in another country gives you something different to talk about at job interviews at a time when almost all applicants will have degrees.
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridavisitor View Post
Great advice...

Honestly if he is not able to "put up with" a 3 month separation (potentially with a holiday in the middle to make it easier still) in order to allow her to have this great experience and progress her career, I'd argue he isn't the one and she would be better advises to bin him and go find a nice American guy instead
a tad harsh as the OP says its her daughter who wont go if her boyfriend cant join her, no suggestion its him saying dont go if I cant come

although i agree 3 months is nothing maybe a holiday together 1/2 way through
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
a tad harsh as the OP says its her daughter who wont go if her boyfriend cant join her, no suggestion its him saying dont go if I cant come

although i agree 3 months is nothing maybe a holiday together 1/2 way through
Thank you and spot on. Hes happy for her to go but she thought it would be a good experience for them both before settling down. Was just looking at options. Thanks to those who gave some sound info on what I thought the situ would be for the US.
fluff48 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Kenwood Travel