Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jan 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Warn the garage if there’s a black box!

I’ve brought DS’s car in today to have 2 tyres replaced & just watched the mechanic drive it like he stole it! Checked the app & yep, he’d dropped DS’s perfect 100% record down to 64, not impressed!

It’s not enough to get him a fine & I've spoken to the insurance company about getting the event removed (not to mention shared my feelings with the garage) but certainly a lesson to be learnt here!

Edited at 11:23 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I’ve brought DS’s car in today to have 2 tyres replaced & just watched the mechanic drive it like he stole it! Checked the app & yep, he’d dropped DS’s perfect 100% record down to 64, not impressed!

It’s not enough to get him a fine & I've spoken to the insurance company about getting the event removed (not to mention shared my feelings with the garage) but certainly a lesson to be learnt here!
I am far too old to have a black box but my car has a setting where it judges your speed ,gear change and awareness for eco driving. my car had to go back to where I bought it as it had a fault still under warranty , when I dropped it off the eco reading was 80 odd , got it back and not only had the mileage increased the eco reading was right down to below 60. I should have complained but I had to complain so much to get the fault rectified I just didnt have the will to go through it all again but needless to say they wont be having my custom again.
Old 24 Jan 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I am far too old to have a black box but my car has a setting where it judges your speed ,gear change and awareness for eco driving. my car had to go back to where I bought it as it had a fault still under warranty , when I dropped it off the eco reading was 80 odd , got it back and not only had the mileage increased the eco reading was right down to below 60. I should have complained but I had to complain so much to get the fault rectified I just didnt have the will to go through it all again but needless to say they wont be having my custom again.
It’s terrible that they treat people’s cars with such a lack of respect. I’ll never use this garage again. We bought DS’s car from here & have had to really push to make them keep to their word re. sorting out issues, all minor but not the point.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
It’s terrible that they treat people’s cars with such a lack of respect. I’ll never use this garage again. We bought DS’s car from here & have had to really push to make them keep to their word re. sorting out issues, all minor but not the point.
I agree your experience was poor, I can't see any reason why a road test was carried out after having tyres fitted and if this was one of my lads he would be on a warning. The other poster refers to recorded efficiency being lower after diagnostic work. This would be expected, especially if it has been running in the workshop for a long period of time or an extensive road test is required to make adjustments to electrical systems. This doesn't mean the tech was abusing a customers car, just following procedure.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

I remember before we flew for our wedding we dropped my car off at the valet car parking at Gatwick North and went inside the Premier Inn. We checked in, took our stuff to the room then I went outside to meet MIL. Stood there talking to her and got to see my car being floored down the road by the valet people!

I have never had a black box (luckily) but the way some of these people treat other people’s cars is terrible.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBeliever
Getting Excited

Mobile

Tesla’s now come with a “Valet Mode” that when you leave your car at a garage or a valet you turn it on and the settings can’t be changed (seat, sat nav, mirrors etc) but also the car is limited to 55mph. Very useful feature.
DisneyBeliever is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyBeliever View Post
Tesla’s now come with a “Valet Mode” that when you leave your car at a garage or a valet you turn it on and the settings can’t be changed (seat, sat nav, mirrors etc) but also the car is limited to 55mph. Very useful feature.
Best to avoid the valets like the plague. So many issues and if they prang your car you can have no end of agro sorting it out.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
I agree your experience was poor, I can't see any reason why a road test was carried out after having tyres fitted and if this was one of my lads he would be on a warning. The other poster refers to recorded efficiency being lower after diagnostic work. This would be expected, especially if it has been running in the workshop for a long period of time or an extensive road test is required to make adjustments to electrical systems. This doesn't mean the tech was abusing a customers car, just following procedure.

Dave
they knew what the problem was in my case , a new o2 sensor needed so not really sure that requires extensive running of engine or more miles added to the clock ,but then I agree ,I am not a mechanic.
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
they knew what the problem was in my case , a new o2 sensor needed so not really sure that requires extensive running of engine or more miles added to the clock ,but then I agree ,I am not a mechanic.
Replacing the O2 sensor does require the engine to be run through both an idle process and a load process the make sure the new sensor is performing correctly in all of the scenarios.

You would be more annoyed if it worked at idle but failed under load which can happen.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
stinkerbell97
Gone all Goofy

This happened to me after Vauxhall did a repair under warranty! Ragged it up and down a 40mph at over 70! I had to send a copy of the paperwork from the garage to show it hadn't been with me at the time. I hadn't even considered it until they rang and said that it was within my agreement they could cancel the policy for driving erratically or illegally!
stinkerbell97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List