Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jan 20, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Willyeckerslike
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I'm 50. Never had any sort of leaving event. You had your last exam and never looked back.

When my 2 eldest were in Primary school they were allowed 10 days per year off for holidays with no fines or warnings. We used to go in mid June.
Willyeckerslike is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Even though questions is for 45+ anyonre can answer

When we where in schol never had a prom and perants where not fined for taken children out of school and no ofstred am i right in thinking this .
Correct in all respects and IMHO better for it.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I turned 40 last year, we didnt have a prom, wasnt ever fined for term time holidays and I remember quite a few wooden board rubbers hurtling down the classroom - never aimed at me i might add!
Uniform was incredibly important, detentions were given if things werent right, the length of the skirts on girls these days is just awful!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudgeJ26 View Post
This morning I passed some young girls who attend the same school that I used to go to. Goodness times have changed. When I was at the school, skirts could be no more than an inch above the knee. The skirts I saw being worn this morning barely covered their backsides😳.
My daughters school solved this they introduced a hideous skirt i can only describe as a long kilt .. result all the girls wear troursers... problem solved
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
I turned 40 last year, we didnt have a prom, wasnt ever fined for term time holidays and I remember quite a few wooden board rubbers hurtling down the classroom - never aimed at me i might add!
Uniform was incredibly important, detentions were given if things werent right, the length of the skirts on girls these days is just awful!
A few years ago, the head of our local high school tried to introduce a uniform policy where skirts had to be a certain length and micro minis were banned. A group of parents were so outraged that they went to the papers with the story. The head teacher was subjected to the most horrendous abuse, had to back down and later took early retirement. That would never have happened when I was at school, parents respected teachers and made sure that we followed the rules about uniforms whether we liked it or not.

I left school in 1979 and I walked out of the school gates after sitting my last exam and have never set foot in the place again. I had a few teachers who carried their belt (tawse) over their shoulder underneath their jacket. We knew which teachers did this and knowing that they carried the belt was enough of a deterrent for most of us! One teacher used to slam a wooden ruler down on a desk to get us to be quiet - he was a scary character and was a hot shot with the blackboard duster...
fudgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I seem to remember both my wife and sisters (all in their 40s) saying that they used to fold up the top of their skirts to make them look shorter whilst going to and from school. They would then fold them down whilst at school. I'm sure they weren't the only ones! So girls having short skirts has been a thing for at least the past 30 years (and no doubt also in the 60s when the mini-skirt was all the rage).

DD's high school currently has strict uniform rules and skirts can be no more than an inch above the knee. These rules are enforced, in school at least (it's up to parents to enforce any rules they may have when the kids are out of school).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List