Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

No prom here (I am 52) small rural school where the headmaster smoked in class !
Secondary school was the blackboard rubber and a piece of hosepipe as punishment but I never heard of anyone who got the pipe it was enough of a deterrent
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m heading towards my 50’s and definitely no fines for taking children out of school. But my eldest is 19 and I don’t remove the fines coming into force until he was in KS2 so it’s a recent thing.

I dogged many a board rubber thrown in my direction 😳
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

I’m 46 and nothing when I left school other than shirt signing.

I got hit by the black board rubber once. It was being thrown at the boy in front of me, he ducked and it got me right in the head! I had a massive bruise.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by missy E View Post
Yes right you are.

All of the above plus a hearty smack on the backside (I got one of those age 4/5 in what would now be reception class) and the cane for the really naughty(never got one of those!)

I'm 53.
I got smacked and I got the cane 🙈 and I didn’t dare tell my mum as she would have given me another smack

We didn’t have a prom but we did have a leavers disco. We all got smashed on red witches and I was violently ill and have never been able to even smell Pernod since
Definitely no ofsted - the teachers word was gospel and no body argued with it or questioned them
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

I’m 45 and there was no prom, same as PP we left in year 11 with 1/2 day. I also don’t remember the amount of homework children now get in primary school I just had spellings and reading.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I’m 64 and certainly there were no functions whatsoever when I was in school.
If we were lucky the PTA arranged a coach trip to Bristol Zoo every year.

Like Mick I had my fair share of blackboard rubbers slung at me by the psychopath teachers and got battered regularly.

I don’t think there was a leaving doo at 16 because I was told not to attend any more from age15 and was working on the buildings by 16

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

You are correct.
No OFSTED, no prom or disco at end of school. It was a boys only school!
Had sports day and day trips out. However missed my last two weeks as managed to spend sat outside the headmasters office for misbehaving (aka having fun) in class. This made my mind up so never went back.
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm 63 and went to school in Scotland. The whole class got the tawse once because nobody would own up to something.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Just under 45 but we did have a leavers Ball.

Chalk rubbers often got flung at students

Did have Richmond tests in primary school (multiple choice with a weird grid overlay)
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

We had an end of year event which essentially would be the pre-cursor to what would be a prom.

Schools were inspected, just the results weren't as available to the public as the means wasn't as easy as today.

No fines, but then again the learning was much more simple and less difficult than today, so the impact of missing days was less. Also term time holidays were less of an impact due to this and less foreign holidays were taken.

Completely different era and education system and standards.

There was far less international influence or global measures.

Thankfully physical abuse of children is now outlawed.

Edited at 11:03 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List