Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

I'm in my late fifties. No school prom, kids were never taken out of school for holidays, corporal punishment by teachers was the norm and Halloween wasn't really a thing.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
boo2
VIP Dibber

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Im 46, we had a leavers dance in senior school. It was held in the school hall, a few dances that we had practiced in gym the weeks before.
I cant remember anyone going on a foreign holiday during school term, kids were only off if they were ill. Im not sure about regulation of class sizes but my first school was a rural school with only one teacher for the whole school. She taught all the 7 primary classes, I dont remember learning much😊. At age 8 she used to have to trust my year with the answer book to mark our own work in maths🤔😟.
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I left school in 1977 - never had a lot of holidays tbh (even during non term time) catholic school that caned people. (Life lessons) No OFSTED but Im sure they were inspected regularly. No proms and no giving teachers presents either. No parking problems outside of school , we walked !
Blighted by striking teachers in the winter of discontent too. My lasting memory was of stuck up hair, gaps in teeth, snot on sleeves, red cheeks - yes the strangest headmaster Ive ever seen.
We had nowt, but life was so much easier then.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

No prom but we did have an end of year disco. No dresses costing hundreds, no limos just a bag of sweets and a bottle of pop in the school hall !
Too scared of the teachers to answer back and the knowledge of the strap was enough to keep order without it even being used.
I cant remember anyone being kept off school to go on holiday. My friends and I didnt go so far ! A caravan in Wales or a week at Butlins was as far as we got.

I did love school though, genuinely happy days.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Just 55.

No Prom, No OFSTED, No missing school for holidays - mind you, we generally went to Cornwall then, not Florida

Corporal Punishment -

Whacked on the behind with a running shoe for misbehaving in swimming lessons.
Knocked off my stool with a clip round the ear in technical drawing for a "witty quip"
Nearly decapitated (OK, I exaggerate just a tiny bit) by a board rubber thrown from 25 feet away

Never did me any harm.?.?.?.?

Regards

Gary

Debra & Gary

Hibiscus Ridge
Contemporary 5* Luxury villa on Highlands Reserve Championship golf course, 5-bed 3-bath, SW facing pool & spa, huge gas BBQ & open views over golf course. Safe 10 minute walk to Berry Town Center.

Website www.hibiscusridge.com

Click HERE to see our Dibb advert
Click HERE to read over 40 fantastic Dibb reviews

State License No: DWE6310701
Tetrarch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Scottish here and we had a leaving doo (a Ceilidh). Cant remember anyone having holidays outside school terms.

We got punished with the tawse (thick leather belt) on the hands for anything and everything. If you were late, forgot/lost a pencil, talking - you name it we got the belt for it and nobody complained to their parents as your parents always sided with the teachers.

Edited at 01:43 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
VIP Dibber

No prom, no Offsted (that I was aware of anyway) & no corporal punishment, I think I must have fell into that sweet spot between all the negative things!

I'm 50 this year (ugh) and grew up in London - presumably area also would have also impacted on these issues as I see previous posters younger than me remembering being rapped with rulers.

DVC owner since 2002.
Many trips since '92 incl. ASMu, ASMo, ASSp, BCV, OKW, HRH, Drop Anchor Resort, Islamorada BWV, AKL - Kidani & Jambo, BLT, Vero Beach, THVs, SSR, RPR, BRV, CCV, PVBWild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I left school in 1988 , 6th year, in Scotland. Im 49.
I remember we had a school disco I think in 1st year, but it was the last one I went to, I really didnt enjoy it. Funnily enough I still really dislike anything like that, any sort of organised function.
We organised our own leaving doo in the local disco. Thought we were smart and that we would have a bar ( considering we had been frequenting it most of the year) , but they got word it was a school leaving party and it was soft drinks only. But we all had a good night.
As for taking kids out of school, its not something I remember happening. Certainly my parents would never have dreamt of it unless there was an emergency.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
61 years old

No OFSTED

holidays out of school yes, but then holidays in the U.K. were the thing, not flying off to expensive destinations such as Florida

Disciplined at school and at home
Went to boarding school, strict rules and regs, detentions a regular thing, punishments was normally running around the school playing field, free time taken away, standing outside the headmasters office. Not condoning it but blackboard throwing by teachers and missing was an art form as was Mr Townsend throwing of bunson burners!

Parents didnt run to school every time there was an issue... If my school report or I misbehaved my parents supported the school rather than the other way around

End of year party, school hall, bit of fizzy pop, a few sausage rolls and a teacher playing records. No fancy clothes... the whole point was to engage the group in decorating the hall in a theme rather than sending out parents to face the battle of Marie's mums buying her a Valentino so why am I wearing BHS!

Im not knocking parents today, Ive stated before I think many are under tremendous pressure to survive and Perform in this world of must haves

I am glad I lived in a simpler time

Edited at 11:58 AM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

I left secondary school in the early 80's so no prom or leaving do. On the last classroom day we just wrote on each others shirts then went back for exams. The day after my last exam i started my 1st job at 16 so very different now.. but i feel it was much simpler
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List