Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Florida Escapes
Unread 25 Jan 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

You are correct.
No OFSTED, no prom or disco at end of school. It was a boys only school!
Had sports day and day trips out. However missed my last two weeks as managed to spend sat outside the headmasters office for misbehaving (aka having fun) in class. This made my mind up so never went back.
Sept 2004 - Hampton Lakes and Madeira Beach. June 2005 - Westridge. May 2006 - Clear Creek. Apr 2007 - Crescent Lakes and Madeira Beach. Apr 2008 - Crescent Lakes. Apr 2009 - Bahama Bay. Sept 2010 - OKW. June 2011 - LBV resort and spa. Feb 2012 - Regal Palms.
disneypars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR, DISNEY DREAM AND SSR
Unread 25 Jan 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I'm 63 and went to school in Scotland. The whole class got the tawse once because nobody would own up to something.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Best foot forward, back to Seefeld
Link to this Post
Button17
Apprentice Imagineer

Just under 45 but we did have a leavers Ball.

Chalk rubbers often got flung at students

Did have Richmond tests in primary school (multiple choice with a weird grid overlay)
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our second Once in a lifetime holiday
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

We had an end of year event which essentially would be the pre-cursor to what would be a prom.

Schools were inspected, just the results weren't as available to the public as the means wasn't as easy as today.

No fines, but then again the learning was much more simple and less difficult than today, so the impact of missing days was less. Also term time holidays were less of an impact due to this and less foreign holidays were taken.

Completely different era and education system and standards.

There was far less international influence or global measures.

Thankfully physical abuse of children is now outlawed.

Edited at 11:03 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to the West Coast
Unread 25 Jan 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
Serious Dibber

I'm in my late fifties. No school prom, kids were never taken out of school for holidays, corporal punishment by teachers was the norm and Halloween wasn't really a thing.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
DLP - Too Good To Turn Down!
Unread 25 Jan 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
boo2
VIP Dibber

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Im 46, we had a leavers dance in senior school. It was held in the school hall, a few dances that we had practiced in gym the weeks before.
I cant remember anyone going on a foreign holiday during school term, kids were only off if they were ill. Im not sure about regulation of class sizes but my first school was a rural school with only one teacher for the whole school. She taught all the 7 primary classes, I dont remember learning much😊. At age 8 she used to have to trust my year with the answer book to mark our own work in maths🤔😟.
Unread 25 Jan 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I left school in 1977 - never had a lot of holidays tbh (even during non term time) catholic school that caned people. (Life lessons) No OFSTED but Im sure they were inspected regularly. No proms and no giving teachers presents either. No parking problems outside of school , we walked !
Blighted by striking teachers in the winter of discontent too. My lasting memory was of stuck up hair, gaps in teeth, snot on sleeves, red cheeks - yes the strangest headmaster Ive ever seen.
We had nowt, but life was so much easier then.
SussexFamily is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

No prom but we did have an end of year disco. No dresses costing hundreds, no limos just a bag of sweets and a bottle of pop in the school hall !
Too scared of the teachers to answer back and the knowledge of the strap was enough to keep order without it even being used.
I cant remember anyone being kept off school to go on holiday. My friends and I didnt go so far ! A caravan in Wales or a week at Butlins was as far as we got.

I did love school though, genuinely happy days.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Family week in the Algarve
ResalesDVC