Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Face masks in parks - age requirement

Is it just me or does anyone else think that it's ridiculous to expect a 2 year old to wear a face mask? Disneyland Paris only require people aged 11 or older to wear them. We would go to WDW next year and wear a mask for the duration if we had too but theres no way our 3 year old would keep hers on.

I think having these rules means a lot of families can't go which is a real shame especially as they have said children are low risk. I don't really understand it to be honest.

Whats the betting they raise the age limit for mask wearing? Or do you think it will just stay in place until masks aren't required at all?
Old 28 Oct 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I am quite happy that they are making kids wear face masks.

Whilst kids probably won't be overly affected themselves by a COVID infection they can still carry it and they can still spread it

They drool, sneeze, shiff, cough, shout and generally spread mucus around - so they need to wear masks to protect other people

I say this as someone who has had kids and knows what they are like

I also realise this is going to be torture for some parents many of whom will have kids who just won't/can't or don't adhere to the mask wearing (after all they are 3+ and this really is jolting them out of the innocence of childhood)

Edited at 05:58 PM.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Like you, it would make it totally impossible for us to go with the 2+ rule at present, there is absolutely no way Charlie would entertain even trying a mask on, let alone wearing it for a whole day.

WDW feels totally unreachable at the moment
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I am at HS at the moment. The over 2's rule isn't a Disney one, it is the rule for public places in both the neighboring counties. Even the youngest school children are wearing them all day if their parents are choosing to send them to Face to Face schooling. Stores are also enforcing it. I have seen loads of children wearing them without issue. Most children are very adaptable given a chance.

IMO there is no chance the age limit will be changed. If your child can't comply, you will have to delay your visit until the mask requirement is removed. They are not making exceptions for special needs either at the parks.
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You could start practicing wearing a mask with your little ones now, even this far out as it may give them a chance to get used to them. If they see you also wearing one it won’t be so strange then you can all have fun at Disney 🙂
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well there’s a awful lot of 2 yr olds going to the parks every day and wearing mask..
I’ve seen a lot of people post they just introduced the masks slowly until the child was comfortable to wear one .

Given there’s no exception for special needs I very much doubt the age limit will be raised

I don’t know when we will do parks next , maybe feb for a few days if we go and our 2,5 yr old granddaughter will have to wear one . I don’t see why she won’t if she’s given time to adjust ..
Or we won’t do parks .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I know its not a mask so slightly different but my youngest was 2 and a half when we was told he needed to wear glasses all of the time. He would refuse to put them on, he would purposely snap them, shake his head. It literally became an issue. She we changed tactics, for every half an hour he wore them he got a sticker. When the sticker chart was full he got a present! Worked a treat.
Its not nice having to put something on your face for a long period of time but they soon get used to it.
Just think of it like a hat, if its hot in the parks they must wear a hat, if they take it off you put it back on.
We are going to buy matching Disney ones, different design for each park and make it fun (as fun as possible)
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

A friend has sewn buttons on baseball caps to hook the elastics on instead of over their ears. Even her completely deaf and non verbal 4 year old has managed to get used to wearing a mask in the parks because he simply had no choice. He is normally a very strong willed child but rarely tries to take it off now.
Old 28 Oct 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My sister lives in San Francisco. She has a 3 year old and has to wear a face mask all day for Pre-school. He seems fine with it, as does the others in his class. Children are very adaptable!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Wow, I didn’t realise it’s state law that over 2’s have to wear a mask. That rules out Florida for us period. Thank god we don’t have that rule here. It’s one thing to get a young child to wear one for a short period to enter a shop but to expect them to wear a mask all day is something different entirely 😬

I’m not saying I disagree with children wearing masks but I do think 2 is too young. I think 4-5 would be more reasonable.

Edited at 09:03 PM.
act1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List