Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 31 Dec 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I had planned to do Delia's Hot Smoked Salmon pie but then I remembered a starter my mum and I had last year in a local restaurant with smoked haddock in a cheese sauce and decided to make a full size version. I added leeks, because why not!? And a cheesy mash.

Dessert was Yule Log from Jamie Oliver's most recent show. The ingredients for this cost a fortune and I remembered why I don't make. THE MESS! I do not have a future on Bake Off, look at this presentation

I was very smug when my sponge was cooling as it had rolled up beautiful in the grease proof paper, but once I unrolled it to do the filling and then attempt to re-roll we ended up with something akin to a rectangle than a cylinder

After all that cost, and all that effort, I didn't like it! Nik did though.

The smoked salmon pancake stacks for breakfast today, we didn't have any avocado as was out of stock for our food shop.

Bacon and Brie Croissants with poached eggs, just like Be Our Guest for lunch

Beef Wellington for dinner, it broke my heart to cook it medium well so Nik would actually eat it. We got this from an online butcher and it was the perfect size for 2 of us, we really enjoyed it.

We had hasselback potatoes, creamed spinach and peppercorn sauce as our sides

Then Black Forrest Cheesecake for pudding. Crisis averted this morning as I had to strain the lumps from the custard

I think your Yule Log looks great, I know what you mean about the mess though!
Sam really wants to make a Beef Wellington as he loves watching Gordon Ramsey but as I haven’t done it before I hate the thought of ruining such an expensive piece of beef!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
So no surprise really given the announcements yesterday but I ended up having to do some work to prepare for next week and the building of a test centre at school, planning how to administer tests for over 1600 students while also teaching online and also making sure those students who have real exams next week aren't disadvantaged and can go ahead with their exams. Of course, that rather got in the way of the prepping for NYE.

Fortunately I was up early and so I'd already made a Chocolate orange tart, plus some little bonus ones with the leftover pastry. They sort of exploded in the oven though

The little ones tasted alright though so nevermind.

Slight problem with the buffet, I only just checked the M&S bits and these chicken donuts say they should be fully defrosted before cooking

Darn it, I hadn't checked and so I've only just discovered this now. Fortunately all the other things, including the breaded onion rings, can be cooked from frozen. Phew.

So, what do we think about the donuts? Chance it or save them?

I also haven't got around to juicing the limes for the long island ice Teas and so I went for the quick and easy option of espresso martini made with Bailey's instead of Tia Maria hence the creaminess. This was supposed to be for after dinner. Oh well.

I'll get round to the juicing later but now I just want to try and relax and forget about worries of how to safely test children while maintaining a good quality of remote education.
That chocolate orange dessert looks fab Abby! Do you mind sharing the recipe when you get a minute?

I feel your pain over the testing, what a complete logistical nightmare! I hope you have managed to sort it, you sound like a very dedicated teacher! Both Hope and Sam are exam years and we have heard from the college and school tonight. I feel so bad for all these teaching staff who are having to very quickly put different plans into place. Hope’s head teacher is fuming, you can tell in his email. Hope is back on the 11th with remote learning next week then testing will commence twice a week. Sam is going in next Thursday to be tested then again the morning of the 11th before school starts then again every 3 days. Good luck with it all, will you be tested too I assume?

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
We’re having roast porcetta tomorrow, any excuse for a roast in this house!

Back to tonight, our dinner was absolutely delicious. If you missed the earlier description, it’s pan-fried partridge with creamed leeks, potato rosti, red wine jus and crumbled black pudding.

Mark really outdid himself tonight!
Happy New Year everyone - I hope 2021 is a lovely one for all of us and a vast improvement on this year!
I think we need your hubby to give us (well me!) some cooking tips, this looks amazing

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 31 Dec 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Honestly all these meals are wonderful! I have seen so many lovely new things to try! very very fancy too!

So Happy New Year and I have everything crossed for a fantastic 2021 with safe travels for everyone.

I made a creamy corn and bacon dip served in a boule with lots of nibbles from Waitrose. Not much cooking but to be honest no one is very hungry, so nibbles it is.

Abby sending you all good wishes and big hugs, I know that you must be so busy with work and all the new changes being implemented by the Government on a daily basis. I have everything crossed that the transition will be smooth and that you will all be kept safe. 💝 xx
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Honestly all these meals are wonderful! I have seen so many lovely new things to try! very very fancy too!

So Happy New Year and I have everything crossed for a fantastic 2021 with safe travels for everyone.

I made a creamy corn and bacon dip served in a boule with lots of nibbles from Waitrose. Not much cooking but to be honest no one is very hungry, so nibbles it is.

Abby sending you all good wishes and big hugs, I know that you must be so busy with work and all the new changes being implemented by the Government on a daily basis. I have everything crossed that the transition will be smooth and that you will all be kept safe. 💝 xx
Oh Michelle, you put my beige spread to shame 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 31 Dec 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Oh Michelle, you put my beige spread to shame 😂
Honestly Alicia, all I did was pop some salad alongside the very beige snacks from the grocery store. 😂 oh and the very colourful macarons distract too! The balloons were slightly larger than I anticipated- Adam and Cooper are thrilled poor Milo is just hiding in the lounge. Xx
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Honestly he is such a nightmare at times! We have recently had the kitchen done so all food was kept in boxes on the floor of the living room. One of the kids didn’t seal up the goodies box one night and the next morning we came down to him looking like he had eaten 2 small children 😆. He had managed half a French stick, another packet of cream crackers, a family sized box of Oreos, 2 big bags (with mini bags inside) of Party Rings, 4 bread rolls, a couple of crumpets and a brand new bag (that I had meticulously been saving) of the hazelnut chocolate M&Ms that you can only buy in the US 😡. He was VERY ill after that! You would have thought he’d learned his lesson, but no!
He is my hero Who can resist Party Rings!?

I think your Yule Log looks great, I know what you mean about the mess though!
Sam really wants to make a Beef Wellington as he loves watching Gordon Ramsey but as I haven’t done it before I hate the thought of ruining such an expensive piece of beef!
Our Beef Wellington was from the butcher, I really did want to attempt it myself but had exactly the same fear as you over ruining the beef.

This all looks so lovely! Love the balloons. I think you win for best presentation.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been so bad at taking pictures, but I actually managed tonight! Our tapas spread, before the prawn pil pil came out
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Happy New Year Everyone I hope you all had fun seeing out 2020 and welcoming in 2021. I can't believe all the wonderful meals you all had.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
We’re having roast porcetta tomorrow, any excuse for a roast in this house!

Back to tonight, our dinner was absolutely delicious. If you missed the earlier description, it’s pan-fried partridge with creamed leeks, potato rosti, red wine jus and crumbled black pudding.

Mark really outdid himself tonight!
Happy New Year everyone - I hope 2021 is a lovely one for all of us and a vast improvement on this year!
Tara, I agree with Alicia, I'd love for Mark to cook dinner for me one time, would you consider renting him out? This looked spectacular.

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Agreed! What an absolute nightmare. We were just discussing the logistics of testing at college. The Principal sent an email earlier about it. Are they just tested the once?
Well we are dressed up and pretending we’re out out! Having cocktails and karaoke!
I pity our neighbours (who have Covid btw 😳 ) we feel like we’re in a game of chess here 😳
They said to crack on!
Your poor neighbours, we played board games and did get quite load. No singing here though.

We are bringing different year groups in on different days to test them, but all that depends on the government actually supplying the tests as promised.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
There's been a disaster! I have also fallen foul of M&S party food not being able to be cooked from frozen. I was feeling quite sheepish until I saw you had suffered the same fate Abby

I checked yesterday to see if the party food could be cooked from frozen, the box I checked said yes, I thought if one thing could then they'd all be the same... Oh well, Nik is currently on the phone to the Chinese and we'll have the buffet things tomorrow. I'm v. disappointed I've been looking forward to this for weeks and had to go to several different food halls in search of all the bits and pieces I wanted.

I decided against the doughnuts, mainly because the box was too big for the freezer! Do let us know how they turn out Abby.

Tara, I have been drooling all afternoon thinking about your dinner. It looks like something from a Signature restaurant. How did Mark do the creamed leeks?

I am on the day shift tomorrow so I doubt I'll make it to midnight. Happy New Year when it arrives everyone xxx
They did come out fine in the end but I preferred the mini chicken Kievs.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Having an epic catch up on all the festive food, I’m not sure what is going on with everyone in this house but there is not much cooking and eating going on! I have a few food photos to add but really not that many...I’ll start with the most inventive meals so far which really are Colette’s ideas...

Bacon, Brie and cranberry croissant concoctions with a mixture of drinks for Christmas breakfast.

Prawn Cocktail and Melon boats for our starters...sorry forgot to take a photo of our turkey dinner-this is why I don’t do food reports

Several hours later and the next few days...Christmas trifle

Christmas mocktails and cocktails made by my SIL, I love her homemade labels too and her dedication to drinking so she had all the empty bottles ready to make these for the family for the takeaway tipples

Smoked Salmon stacks were fab even without the dill and avocado...the girls had the pancakes covered in Nutella. I also sampled a few with butter and clementine curd, thanks Colette I’ll be using this recipe again

I don’t do Brussels sprouts but thought I needed to do something with this festive looking palm tree...

I absolutely loved them and even had them the next day with some chestnuts I had roasted-I am now a lover not a hater

Salted Caramel hot chocolate and croissant.

Tonight will be a mixture of nibbles and some fizz.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
This all looks fab, I'm also really grateful Colette shared her recipes early on as it the pancakes and salmon were great, as was the trifle. Your cocktails look great

That chocolate orange dessert looks fab Abby! Do you mind sharing the recipe when you get a minute?

I feel your pain over the testing, what a complete logistical nightmare! I hope you have managed to sort it, you sound like a very dedicated teacher! Both Hope and Sam are exam years and we have heard from the college and school tonight. I feel so bad for all these teaching staff who are having to very quickly put different plans into place. Hope’s head teacher is fuming, you can tell in his email. Hope is back on the 11th with remote learning next week then testing will commence twice a week. Sam is going in next Thursday to be tested then again the morning of the 11th before school starts then again every 3 days. Good luck with it all, will you be tested too I assume?
It was a recipe from a good housekeeping cook book. I'll get it later for you.

At my school all staff will be offered a weekly test from now on.

I love the balloons they are fab, what a a lovely idea

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
I’ve been so bad at taking pictures, but I actually managed tonight! Our tapas spread, before the prawn pil pil came out
This looks delicious what a lovely meal.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
New year's eve buffet

Well here it is the Chicken donuts are bottom left. Plus we had chicken Kievs, brie and cranberry tarts, onion rings. It was all good.

And here's a photo of the chocolate orange tart.

We had a fun night playing board games and we did manage to stay awake until gone midnight, which is pretty good going for me.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List