Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Shoes for me , I have not greatest feet in world so my going out shoes and boots are circa 10 to 15 yrs plus.
Does this mean I'm billy no mates ?
Old 13 Jan 21, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I still have clothes from when I was 16-18. They don't fit me but I've promised myself i'll get back into them this year. Lots were bought on holiday in america so are really nice and if I love a piece of clothing I won't get rid of it.

My nan has given me some beautiful vintage dresses she wore when she was younger that I will never get rid of.

I did have a huge clearout last weekend of things I didn't want any longer and things either went on eBay or to the charity shop. Nothing in the bin as I don't like to be wasteful.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Shoes for me , I have not greatest feet in world so my going out shoes and boots are circa 10 to 15 yrs plus.
Does this mean I'm billy no mates ?
No you part of an elite group 😂
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
I still have clothes from when I was 16-18. They don't fit me but I've promised myself i'll get back into them this year. Lots were bought on holiday in america so are really nice and if I love a piece of clothing I won't get rid of it.

My nan has given me some beautiful vintage dresses she wore when she was younger that I will never get rid of.

I did have a huge clearout last weekend of things I didn't want any longer and things either went on eBay or to the charity shop. Nothing in the bin as I don't like to be wasteful.
The thing with charity shops is that most don't have the resources or space to deal with or store the stuff you give them.
An interesting article that suggests that our ever increasing donations to charities are exacerbating rather than aiding poverty & issues in the likes of Africa:

graziadaily/fashion/ne...thes-donation/

Edited at 12:34 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
We look at old holiday photos and we still have the same clothes! We bought a few new things just to mix thing up a bit 😂
Yeah, I do that. I'll be looking through some old holiday photos from, say, 20 years ago and realise I still have and wear the t-shirt that I wore then.

I think I still have the first suit I wore for work when I started around 23 years ago.

The thing is, some of these clothes are very comfortable and I like them and they aren't threadbare or anything. Therefore it seems a shame to get rid of them just because I happened to buy them a long time ago.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Not clothes but today I’m clearing out 2 cupboards in the kitchen.
When we moved 5 years ago DH insisted on bringing things with us that we never used.
Today they’re going in the bin as he’s not here they include a blender a grinder for coffee beans a jug with a filter but no lid plus other things that are missing bits.
He always thinks these things might come in useful but they don’t.
If I let him get away with it the house would be full of useless rubbish
Old 13 Jan 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
The thing with charity shops is that most don't have the resources or space to deal with or store the stuff you give them.
An interesting article that suggests that our ever increasing donations to charities are exacerbating rather than aiding poverty & issues in the likes of Africa:

graziadaily/fashion/ne...thes-donation/
The ones near us are always asking for clothes donations...

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

TKMax were collecting for Teenage Cancer Trust. I hope they continue it after lockdown, I have some clothes for them, things like that inspire me to have a clear out.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I tend to Chuck clothes at end of season or when they start to fade or go out for shape so around a year old

I recently started wearing my old hunter wellingtons which are over 40 years old but I decided on a new pair with a zip down the side . Arrived last week and at £200 they will last me until I die
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I guess it varies around the country; we've been advised a few times by different charity shops (when they were open) that they weren't accepting any donations.

When DH showed them a few samples of what we were offering eg, barely worn high-end shoes (that hurt him!) in the original box, they said they'd take those and any other similar items as they're the items that do sell & quickly so don't take up shop space for long!

However, it's knowing which areas those kind of items will sell in; certain London areas will always have designer items in their charity shops and they'll be snapped up quickly by those looking for bargain 'vintage' items!

Edited at 02:46 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List