Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jan 21, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
babycanaansmum
Very Serious Dibber

Norwegian Air to stop Long Haul operations

I have just seen this news regarding Norwegian;

reuters/article/norw...-idUSL1N2JP0IF

It says;

OSLO, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Norwegian Air plans to close its long-haul operation and focus instead on a scaled-down European business as it seeks to contend with the coronavirus crisis and complete its debt restructuring, the budget carrier said on Thursday.

The plan, which is subject to approval by an Irish bankruptcy court, would cut Norwegian’s fleet to about 50 aircraft from the exisiting 140, the company said.

We have had many great trips with Norwegian and will be sad not to travel with them 😩
Old 14 Jan 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Norwegian cuts 1,100 jobs at Gatwick as it axes long-haul flights...
Norwegian shook up the UK’s long-haul aviation market in recent years by offering transatlantic flights at knockdown prices.
Some of its most popular deals included £99 trips to New York.
But it struggled to contain costs during its rapid expansion, and has come under further strain due to the virus crisis.
Its entire Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet has been grounded since March 2020.
In August 2020, the airline announced that it would need more financial support to get through the pandemic, after reporting a loss of £442 million for the first six months of the year.
Under its new plan, it will only fly within Norway, across the Nordic region and to “key European destinations”.
We do not expect customer demand in the long-haul sector to recover in the near future
Norwegian chief executive Jacob Schram
Chief executive Jacob Schram said: “Our short-haul network has always been the backbone of Norwegian and will form the basis of a future resilient business model.
“I am pleased to present a robust business plan today, which will provide a new start for the company.
“By focusing our operation on a short-haul network, we aim to attract existing and new investors, serve our customers and support the wider infrastructure and travel industry in Norway and across the Nordics and Europe.
“Our focus is to rebuild a strong, profitable Norwegian so that we can safeguard as many jobs as possible.
“We do not expect customer demand in the long-haul sector to recover in the near future, and our focus will be on developing our short-haul network as we emerge from the reorganisation process.”
Around 2,160 jobs will be lost around the world – including at Gatwick – as the firm also has long-haul bases in France, Italy, Spain and the US.
Mr Schram continued: “It is with a heavy heart that we must accept that this will impact dedicated colleagues from across the company.
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

That is such a shame, I very much enjoyed the one trip to Florida we did with them. And as I keep saying they served me the best airline dinner I have ever eaten.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Very sad for the long haul market, and for all those poor people who have lost their jobs as a consequence, but even more sad is that this news is not necessarily unexpected.

As we move forward and the world gets up off its knees, perhaps someone will take the space 🤞

Disney332
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It’s been the sick man of the airline industry for years unfortunately. BA will love this though, prices up again.
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

So sad. The airline industry is struggling so much. I hope they recover in next 2 years and start massive drives for re-hiring.

Awful for those working there and a shame for all us holidaymakers. With less competition prices will go up.
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

We used them for a couple of trips and the prices were great, comfy planes with good IFE and they were great at getting us back after a hurricane (Irma) closed MCO the day we were due to fly back.

Sad to see them go, I feel for the staff.

As said, it will likely affect prices for us all. They'd been a great antidote to Virgin and BA prices for a few years.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Not surprised at all. This has been in the cards for a very long time. Just goes to show LCC longhaul does not work and especially if you try to expand very quickly to try and make it profitable. This would have happen even without Covid.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by RC22 View Post
We used them for a couple of trips and the prices were great, comfy planes with good IFE and they were great at getting us back after a hurricane (Irma) closed MCO the day we were due to fly back.

Sad to see them go, I feel for the staff.

As said, it will likely affect prices for us all. They'd been a great antidote to Virgin and BA prices for a few years.
You could also say they are reason why both Virgin and BA have cut standards in the past.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

I think they would still nickle and dime us at every opportunity. We'd been paying more for less for some time before Norwegian entered the long haul market.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List