Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 21, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Burning smell

Out of nowhere there is a slight smell of a popped party popper in the lounge. Checked other rooms and nothing there.
Seems to be coming from behind the tv stand but nothing appears hot and definitely no smoke. No new products.

Any ideas?

Hubby said not to worry probably just dust but I can't help worrying 🤦
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I would be pulling the TV out and getting my trusty nose right down to the power sockets. If nothing there then the back of the TV.

Hope you find it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I would say electric burning/over heating and not dust. Follow Mr Toms advice
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Thanks. Traced it into the cupboard. Freesat box is quite hot. Possibly overheating being inside a cupboard on top of playstation...

The smell seems to be disappearing now cupboard open/turned off.

Old 16 Jan 21, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Thanks. Traced it into the cupboard. Freesat box is quite hot. Possibly overheating being inside a cupboard on top of playstation...

The smell seems to be disappearing now cupboard open/turned off.

Yes probably vents/airflow got blocked. Check it and get a new one - not worth the risk
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Oh my goodness thank you both so much!

Based on your advise decided not to give up. Found the exact smell by putting my nose to every item. Pulled out socket and a small amount of smoke came out was very hot. Wire had melted!

I think we caught it just in time. If my DS hadn't mentioned the smell so early I'm not sure we would have noticed in time!

Thanks again for making me check again and not just assume dust!

Edited at 03:42 PM.
waiting4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Oh my goodness thank you both so much!

Based on your advise decided not to give up. Found the exact smell by putting my nose to every item. Pulled out socket and a small amount of smoke came out was very hot. Wire had melted!

I think we caught it just in time. If my DS hadn't mentioned the smell so early I'm not sure we would have noticed in time!

Thanks again for making me check again and not just assume dust!

Wow - disaster averted . Well done on investigating and not brushing it off, you can sleep soundly tonight. I have a strong sense of smell and know when I can sell and electrical fire when its not - its so distinctive
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Wow - disaster averted . Well done on investigating and not brushing it off, you can sleep soundly tonight. I have a strong sense of smell and know when I can sell and electrical fire when its not - its so distinctive
Said to hubby glad I checked with my reliable Dibbers and didn't listen to him!
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Strangely enough a couple of years ago Dibbers helped me too when I was convinced I could smell fish in the hall.
I think it was Tom then too that suggested fins where smell came from exactly and when I realised a socket to call an electrician.
Funnily though the electrician thought I was a bit mad until he took socket off and it had melted!
Old 16 Jan 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

I'm really glad you spotted it, that could have easily set itself on fire.

When you sort out your freesat box can I suggest you don't put it back on top of the playstation. You should never stack electronic devises, they need the air to circulate around them, especially the PS4, they get really hot.

At least you found out the problem this time, before it became pretty serious, well done.