Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 21, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Buy a lizard.
Hmmm, perhaps!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

I have a spider plug in repellant thing. We still get them. But I am so paranoid I still leave it in for fear of true infestation in case it is helping! I also bought some spider traps which are supposed to attract them and then they stick to them ... dont think they work either unless they happen to walk over them.
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I use a can of spider x, it’s horse chestnut oil, it seems to work.
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by littlelish0544 View Post
I have a spider plug in repellant thing. We still get them. But I am so paranoid I still leave it in for fear of true infestation in case it is helping! I also bought some spider traps which are supposed to attract them and then they stick to them ... dont think they work either unless they happen to walk over them.
I'm happy to leave one plugged in if it gives me SOME peace of mind!

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
I use a can of spider x, it’s horse chestnut oil, it seems to work.
Thanks, is that the Lakeland one? will certainly be trying it
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I'm happy to leave one plugged in if it gives me SOME peace of mind!

Thanks, is that the Lakeland one? will certainly be trying it
It’s this one I use, I get it from Amazon, not opened the second can in 2 years yet.

2x Spiderex Aerosol Spray amazon/dp/B00VK0EZ..._n9idGb5N002XR
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
It’s this one I use, I get it from Amazon, not opened the second can in 2 years yet.

2x Spiderex Aerosol Spray amazon/dp/B00VK0EZ..._n9idGb5N002XR
Ah thanks, I can see that on Amazon Will give it a whirl!
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My husband built a summer house style shed last year. It’s actually our gym with a runner, cross trainer, bike, multi gym and free weights. Its a rubber/foam flooring on concrete. The inside walls are painted white using a special non damp paint. As its white I am sure I would notice any spiders but not seen any yet and its used daily. Maybe all the banging and sweating puts them off 🤣
I do have shelves in there with a fan, CD player, spare hand towels, yoga mat in the corner, also used daily. We have never seen any spiders or webs 🤞🏻 I do wipe down after every use and sweep the floors weekly.
I think you will be fine with a new build as it will be air tight but I suppose they will get anywhere 😬😬😬😬
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
My husband built a summer house style shed last year. It’s actually our gym with a runner, cross trainer, bike, multi gym and free weights. Its a rubber/foam flooring on concrete. The inside walls are painted white using a special non damp paint. As its white I am sure I would notice any spiders but not seen any yet and its used daily. Maybe all the banging and sweating puts them off 🤣
I do have shelves in there with a fan, CD player, spare hand towels, yoga mat in the corner, also used daily. We have never seen any spiders or webs 🤞🏻 I do wipe down after every use and sweep the floors weekly.
I think you will be fine with a new build as it will be air tight but I suppose they will get anywhere 😬😬😬😬
That sounds lovely Floridatilly!

I intend to paint the inside of ours white, it's going to be tongue and groove so hopefully I can style it a bit Key West/New England clapperboard effect, and I'm thinking the same, if it's painted white I would spot any nasties and I intend to keep it swept squeaky clean in any case!
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Hi!
The one we are looking at is actually called a 'log cabin' (10ft x8ft) but it's not like yours, which sounds a lot better spec!
This one is not insulated or double glazed but we just want it for extending summer evenings in the garden

We do intend to paint it a few good coats with good 'shed paint' to match the rest of the garden structures/decor in a cream colour we currently favour, and seal it up wherever we can

Do you have soft furnishings in yours?
That sounds really lovely and something nice to plan and look forward to

I got it for a little chill out space away from the house for dd's 18 & 21, where they can hang out with friends (when not in lockdown). DD 18 uses it most days for online uni now. Ours is 3m x 5m, roughly 10ft x 16.5ft. I didn't do anything paint wise with inside yet as I do like the natural wood. We put a laminate floor in (mainly for easy cleaning of spillages of alcoholic beverages from young adults ). Outside we used Sikkens stain, recommended by the log cabin company, 1 coat of undercoat and 2 additional coats of stain. Because it was October when we got it done, they recommend we do another coat in spring/summer but we'll do that ourselves from now on.

We have an Ikea sofabed, bench table set, tv and mini fridge etc, with lots of cushions & throws, so far so good, no critters. It was done with last years holiday funds and I think it was a good investment (don't think my girls are going anywhere for a while lol). Just waiting for spring now to tackle the rest of the garden, it was too late in the year after this was finished.

Sorry for waffling on, good luck with your new cabin

dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

My sister had a log cabin built in bottom of her gardens last year (Yorkshire) and its spider proof (insulated, double glazed, log burner etc and has power and water/drainage) as my BIL has a fear of spiders (as do I) also have 2 cats so no spiders stand a chance. So far so good and I cant wait to visit post covid
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List